Ford workers break their silence on faulty transmissions: 'My hands are dirty. I feel horrible'

3 hours ago, passis said:

Is it possible to replace the PowerShift transmission in one's car by a commercially available wet dual clutch? 

Leave the black seals in the early ones and they are all wet clutches. 

On 12/13/2019 at 2:16 PM, 92merc said:

Well, I'll throw this one out there.  My brother owns a 2012 Focus Titanium.  He has over 130k miles on it.  All transmission parts are TOTALLY original.  Never had any clutch issues, leaks, or TCM replacement.  Not even a shudder.

However, I chalk most of that up to the fact that he drives about 100 miles a DAY in commuting to/from his job.  So it has a fair amount of highway miles.

He probably has input seals leaking anyway. The trans case seals to the back of the block so well that I've removed some and caught a pint of fluid escaping with no signs of leak externally. The early clutch performs pretty well with fluid all over it and the latest software. If the latest software was available at launch, and the trans was introduced properly at time of sale, we would only be talking about TCM issues and not clutch shudder ones.  

• Like 2

On 1/1/2020 at 9:09 AM, YT90SC said:

Leave the black seals in the early ones and they are all wet clutches. 

He probably has input seals leaking anyway. The trans case seals to the back of the block so well that I've removed some and caught a pint of fluid escaping with no signs of leak externally. The early clutch performs pretty well with fluid all over it and the latest software. If the latest software was available at launch, and the trans was introduced properly at time of sale, we would only be talking about TCM issues and not clutch shudder ones.  

I’m hearing that the later builds with software patches seem to be less troublesome, I wonder if a lot of this calms down without legal action, Ford just keeps honouring extended warranty 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I’m hearing that the later builds with software patches seem to be less troublesome, I wonder if a lot of this calms down without legal action, Ford just keeps honouring extended warranty 

They are quite a bit less troublesome, as the TCM issue seems to be greatly reduced on the later builds. Clutches still shudder though, but they are definitely better than a couple of the service part revisions that came out. Finally producing different parts for Fiesta and Focus helped a lot as the two cars need different clutches and that didn't happen until TSB 16-0109 came out in August 2016.  

1 hour ago, YT90SC said:

They are quite a bit less troublesome, as the TCM issue seems to be greatly reduced on the later builds. Clutches still shudder though, but they are definitely better than a couple of the service part revisions that came out. Finally producing different parts for Fiesta and Focus helped a lot as the two cars need different clutches and that didn't happen until TSB 16-0109 came out in August 2016.  

YT,

In all honesty, would you put your wife or kid in a Focus?  My son, who currently lives in Germany and drives a Hyundai i10 "city car", would like to get a small Ford sedan/hatchback when he returns to the States. Are the '17-18's worth looking at?

Thanks, HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

19 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

YT,

In all honesty, would you put your wife or kid in a Focus?  My son, who currently lives in Germany and drives a Hyundai i10 "city car", would like to get a small Ford sedan/hatchback when he returns to the States. Are the '17-18's worth looking at?

Our daughter had a 2012 Escape from age 16 (two, actually but that's another story) to age 20 and other than the TCM issue which almost left her stranded (and which has since been fixed) we had no other problems.   The shudder is a little irritating but I wouldn't expect any outright failures going forward.

That said, there are other choices that don't have that issue. 

16 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

There's always the 1.0 Ecoboost with genuine 6F auto or a Focus ST if he likes driving a manual trans.

Almost ashamed to admit that he's my kid. Out of hundreds of i10's to choose from, he had to choose from one of the 2 that had an automatic trans,,,,,,

He drove our loaner 2020 Escape for a couple of weeks while he was home, he thinks it's HUGE!

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

YT,

Thanks, HRG

HRG, as the other fellas have said, a manual car is nearly flawless so that would be a great car if you want the third pedal. I wouldn't do the 1.0/6F15 due to issues with the 1.0. DPS6 cars are still in no way perfect, BUT If my oldest was of age, he has shown he is fairly competent to handle the potential of issue, so I probably would. But I have another kid that I DEFINITELY wouldn't. I guess it is a function of knowing the issues going in and how they react to it. I do agree with akirby that there are other choices that have no chance of having DPS6 problems.