Ranger Sales Grow

From today's Detroit News:

"Ford says it sold 10,594 Rangers in November, the best month yet for the pickup reintroduced to the U.S. in January.  "We're pretty happy with where we're at," said Chad Callander, Ranger consumer marketing manager. "We set some aggressive targets, and we're hitting those targets."  Through 11 months of the year, Ford has moved 75,357 Rangers. Ford sold 10,594 in November after moving more than 8,000 in October as production at the automaker's Michigan Assembly Plant reached capacity and the automaker was able to fill more dealer orders. The automaker notes it only "hit full stride" with production in the third quarter of 2019."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2019/12/09/ford-ranger-sales-2019/4354394002/

Pretty hard to sell a near full priced Ranger against heavy incentives on F150, I love watching how Ford grows Ranger sales without  cannibalising F150 sales.

i guess  they had to do something when F150 has so much cash on the hood 

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Amazing what $6k rebates will do.

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

No kidding, I didn't know they were that high. That's one way to move the metal. 

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Pretty hard to sell a near full priced Ranger against heavy incentives on F150, I love watching how Ford grows Ranger sales without  cannibalising F150 sales.

i guess  they had to do something when F150 has so much cash on the hood 

It doesn't hurt we just started building 20s the week before thanksgiving. Gotta start clearing out inventory of 2019s at some point. 

• Like 3

Last time I looked inventory was up around 40k, maybe a sign that Ford expects stronger sales next year....

I’m just happy that as Ranger sales go up, Colorado Sales seems to be collapsing... something like 8900 last month.

This is probably not the Ranger to fully match Tacoma sales but if Ford can get up around 12k to 15k sales a month, then that probably sets up the next generation Ranger in two years time. I love watching this, Ford reclaiming it’s place in midsized trucks.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 4

Having the vehicle in stock has got to help the sales increase too.  I've mentioned this more than once, my rural northern Michigan dealer has had zero to one Rangers in stock most of the year.  It's only in the past month or so that he's had more than one on his lot.  I counted three yesterday.

28 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

There seems to be a limit to the number of customers they can sell to if Ranger sales come at the expense of others.  

Not necessarily.

Every Ranger sale is coming at the expense of other vehicles, so long as they're not current Ford vehicles it's all good.

Let's not forget that a lot of car sales are going away and those buyers are either taking up utilities or trucks.

The whole reason for Ranger's slow rise in sales has been two fold, plant limitations and growing core sales and market share the right way without using incentives. Now that inventory is filled out, Ford can go to work reaching more buyers with increased dealer floor stock.

GM and Colorado have their own problems and those could be unrelated and purely coincidental to Ranger's sales rise..it could be that Colorado is seeing a lot of sales bleed to GM's own Utilities. That is after all, the biggest change at GM in the past year.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Last time I looked inventory was up around 40k, maybe a sign that Ford expects stronger sales next year....

I’m just happy that as Ranger sales go up, Colorado Sales seems to be collapsing... something like 8900 last month.

This is probably not the Ranger to fully match Tacoma sales but if Ford can get up around 12k to 15k sales a month, then that probably sets up the next generation Ranger in two years time. I love watching this, Ford reclaiming it’s place in midsized trucks.

So the new Ranger will be a '22 MY?

6 minutes ago, 70 Stang said:

So the new Ranger will be a '22 MY?

Next gen global Ranger is out roughly a year after Bronco, so the US will probably be slightly after that,

I figure just over two years from now., it's already at or just past final design lock-in.

Edited by jpd80

It took Ford about 15 years of constant improvements to Ranger and 2 completely model cycles to finally come close to (and occasionally beat) Hilux sales in Europe and Australia/NZ. Meanwhile, Toyota is still far ahead in Southeast Asia, Middle East and Africa.  I think it will take similar time and effort to mount the same kind of fight to Tacoma in the US/North America.

Edited by bzcat

5 hours ago, bzcat said:

It took Ford about 15 years of constant improvements to Ranger and 2 completely model cycles to finally come close to (and occasionally beat) Hilux sales in Europe and Australia/NZ. Meanwhile, Toyota is still far ahead in Southeast Asia, Middle East and Africa.  I think it will take similar time and effort to mount the same kind of fight to Tacoma in the US/North America.

Actually, until about 2014 Hilux dominated Aussie sales but then, there was around a nine  month period where Hilux didn't have 5 star crash rating due to no DSC, Ranger 4x4 sales to commercial fleet took of and never looked back. This year, Ranger 4x4 has outsold Hilux...just and it's only in the bargain basement 4x2 tradie pick ups that Ford refuses to sell that Hilux gets its nose ahead in combined sales.

Hilux is the pick up of choice in Asia bit I suspect much of that is because Hilux is still buying bottom end of the market with low cost 4x2 pick ups. I can't speak for the North American market but perhaps it's enough for Ranger to keep Tacoma honest for now and keep chipping away at the market until the new truck is ready.

5 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Well, when you are comparing 29 years of the previous models' production, vs 1 years worth of the new,,,,,,

HRG

I suspect that is not the case...more along the lines of a $35k small pickup...still have yet to see any base rangers on the lot..whats there is more than you could buy a fusion for by a lot....around here it seems there is not much value in a ranger..better off just buying a f150 and get some capability

Edited by snooter

2 hours ago, snooter said:

I suspect that is not the case...more along the lines of a $35k small pickup...still have yet to see any base rangers on the lot..whats there is more than you could buy a fusion for by a lot....around here it seems there is not much value in a ranger..better off just buying a f150 and get some capability

The whole idea is to grow sales without undercutting F150 sales, especially at the moment

with big incentives on the run out models for both but, you can bet that Ford is gonna start

doing deals on Ranger because they need to  move that 2019 inventory.

2 hours ago, snooter said:

The lack of Ranger XL's in stock isn't due to a lack of orders from Ford but due to Ford's restrictions. A number of month ago they increased the XLT mix to about 75% but it's still difficult to get XL's scheduled. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ice-capades said:

The lack of Ranger XL's in stock isn't due to a lack of orders from Ford but due to Ford's restrictions. A number of month ago they increased the XLT mix to about 75% but it's still difficult to get XL's scheduled. 

How about chassis cabs? Is there much interest from what you can tell and how hard is it to get one scheduled? I can only recall seeing a handful come through since I moved over to body shop in April.