Hybrid Escape Fuel Economy

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/09/2020-ford-escape-hybrid-fuel-economy-2/

"The most frugal variant is the front-drive model, which delivers 44 mpg in the city, 37 on the highway and 41 in combined driving. The all-wheel-drive version's city fuel economy dips to 43, highway economy stays the same, and combined is 40."

34 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Looks like some great numbers right up there with the Rav-4 and CR-V hybrids.

Car and Driver had the Rav4 with better mileage (37 vs. 32 in their testing), but still preferred the Escape Hybrid: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a29878756/2020-ford-escape-hybrid-vs-2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid/

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

Car and Driver had the Rav4 with better mileage (37 vs. 32 in their testing), but still preferred the Escape Hybrid: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a29878756/2020-ford-escape-hybrid-vs-2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid/

It was 30 MPG (Escape) vs 32 MPG (RAV4)

32 vs. 37 MPG is strictly the C/D 75 mph test loop (which is also different from the EPA highway test). That implies that Escape hybrid gets significantly better MPG in non freeway speed than RAV4 hybrid if the difference is only 2 MPG for the whole test.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

That implies that Escape hybrid gets significantly better MPG in non freeway speed than RAV4 hybrid if the difference is only 2 MPG for the whole test.

Yes sir. The main reason is that RAV4 Hybrid's ICE is a much more advanced design. Its thermal efficiency is 41%, the highest of any mass produced light vehicle gasoline engine in the world currently.

C&D's 75 mph highway fuel economy test emphasizes this, because at that speed the gasoline engine is responsible for almost 100% of propulsion duty in both RAV4 Hybrid and Escape Hybrid. At lower speeds, the electric motor/generator transmits power to the wheels by itself more frequently, and regenerative braking is encountered more often. As a result, the efficiency of the gasoline engine becomes less important when it comes to overall fuel economy at lower speeds.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I'm wondering if the Escape's mechanical AWD is being found out compared to the RAV4's electric AWD.

The Toyota AWD uses an electric motor to drive the rear wheels  so it probably behaves more like a 2WD hybrid

with little or no parasitic loss compared to Escape's  AWD. I'm sure that Ford is aware of this but chooses to use

the electric RWD for it's PHEVs with bigger battery pack, the mechanical AWD is as it's always been, an extension

of the ICE package.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Hmmm, I'm wondering if the Escape's mechanical AWD is being found out compared to the RAV4's electric AWD.

The Toyota AWD uses an electric motor to drive the rear wheels  so it probably behaves more like a 2WD hybrid

with little or no parasitic loss compared to Escape's  AWD. I'm sure that Ford is aware of this but chooses to use

the electric RWD for it's PHEVs with bigger battery pack, the mechanical AWD is as it's always been, an extension

of the ICE package.

From what I understand, Ford has a system on the Escapes AWD system that disengages it for improved MPGs-at least on the non Hybrid models. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

From what I understand, Ford has a system on the Escapes AWD system that disengages it for improved MPGs-at least on the non Hybrid models. 

Correct.  Also on the Edge and Nautilus.

Escape sport also has 19” wheels, not sure about RAV4.  

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Yeah I get that but I wonder about the FWD and AWD versions having the exact same Hwy fuel economy,

that looks a little too perfect to me....especially when the ICE versions have a 2 mpg difference.

Edited by jpd80

“your mileage may vary”

and I agree, the 75 mph test negates any benefits from the hybrid strategy while city stop and go accentuates its virtues. So anyone who experiences a lot of speed variability in their driving will see  the benefits of owning a hybrid vehicle 

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I test drove a new 20 escape hybrid titanium today..the 20 is much better than the 19..exterior and interior fit and finish are improved and the front end is vastly improved...it is still below the rav but its not far behind the subaru crosstek which is cheesy on lower trim level (i drove all 3)...where the escape runs into a problem is the driver has been completly removed from the "driving experience"...it was just boring to drive...the other issue is the ford dealer quoted me 5k over the gasser...i returned the escape and left...yoda rav hybrid is only 800clams more than gasser....honestly i cant see how ford can put a 35k price tag on that escape...10k less and ford could probably move a bunch of em...they did tell me on a positive they have had several people make a deposit on the mach...

On 12/10/2019 at 11:07 PM, akirby said:

Motorweek got 40.5 in their “real world” test.

Motorweek's real world fuel economy test is more relevant for drivers in the eastern U.S. than the 75 mph real world test from C&D.

Only 2 states east of the Mississippi River have speed limits of 75 mph or higher.

1000px-US_Speed_Limits.svg.png

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Motorweek's real world fuel economy test is more relevant for drivers in the eastern U.S. than the 75 mph real world test from C&D.

Only 2 states east of the Mississippi River have speed limits of 75 mph or higher.

1000px-US_Speed_Limits.svg.png

I thought it was more relevant to drivers that do a decent commute to and from work that also includes a lot more surface roads and traffic lights than running along freeways  at 60-70 mph

Edited by jpd80

8 hours ago, rperez817 said:

But the actual de facto speed (at least in NJ) is 75MPH or higher on major highways (Parkway and Turnpike)

A 2013 Escape 2L FWD can get 32 MPG in good traffic conditions and keeping its speed at the posted limit, which is about 3 MPG higher then EPA tests. My parents did that a couple times coming to visit me when I lived in MD-about a 2 hour ride.

Average speed of a vehicle is much lower when driving around town-roughly half of what the speed limit is due to being stopped and whatever max speed you can drive on a road. 

Where the hybrids excel is in around town slower speed running where lots of speed variations allow the electric side to do its job.

I think it’s also educating drivers to understand that the biggest gains are made where the ICEs are least efficient and kind of upside down to what most folks would be used to.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snooter said:

I test drove a new 20 escape hybrid titanium today..the 20 is much better than the 19..exterior and interior fit and finish are improved and the front end is vastly improved...it is still below the rav but its not far behind the subaru crosstek which is cheesy on lower trim level (i drove all 3)...where the escape runs into a problem is the driver has been completly removed from the "driving experience"...it was just boring to drive...the other issue is the ford dealer quoted me 5k over the gasser...i returned the escape and left...yoda rav hybrid is only 800clams more than gasser....honestly i cant see how ford can put a 35k price tag on that escape...10k less and ford could probably move a bunch of em...they did tell me on a positive they have had several people make a deposit on the mach...

imagine how many they could sell if they were 15k cheaper.....SMH.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Where the hybrids excel is in around town slower speed running where lots of speed variations allow the electric side to do its job.

I think it’s also educating drivers to understand that the biggest gains are made where the ICEs are least efficient and kind of upside down to what most folks would be used to.

Absolutly...