Lagano Testing 2021 Next Gen Cup Car

blksn8k2

Pretty sure each manufacturer will have their own styling, even if it's just the front fascia and tail lights, which wouldn't be that much of a different approach from the current cars. Interesting that one of the things they were looking at was getting the front splitter off the ground to allow more air to pass under the car and onto the cars behind. Might make for more passing opportunities instead of causing the trailing car to loose front downforce the way it does with the current car.

• 2 months later...

Interesting article at R&T about the powerplants in the next gen Cup car. The article mentioned the possibility that OHC aluminum block V8's with DI were being discussed. I thought it was kinda funny that they also stated that it would probably not be production based. Seems like Ford already has an engine that meets those parameters and it's even used in the same body they race in NASCAR. 

They also mentioned the possibility that hybrid systems could eventually find their way into NASCAR. One of the concerns is that not all of the track configurations require much braking meaning that regenerative braking battery charging would not be of much use at those tracks. Sounds to me like another good reason to incorporate more road course and roval tracks into the schedule.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a30982374/engine-manufacturers-want-nascar-to-go-hybrid/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=022020&utm_campaign=nl19442423

2 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Interesting article at R&T about the powerplants in the next gen Cup car. The article mentioned the possibility that OHC aluminum block V8's with DI were being discussed. I thought it was kinda funny that they also stated that it would probably not be production based. Seems like Ford already has an engine that meets those parameters and it's even used in the same body they race in NASCAR. 

They also mentioned the possibility that hybrid systems could eventually find their way into NASCAR. One of the concerns is that not all of the track configurations require much braking meaning that regenerative braking battery charging would not be of much use at those tracks. Sounds to me like another good reason to incorporate more road course and roval tracks into the schedule.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a30982374/engine-manufacturers-want-nascar-to-go-hybrid/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=022020&utm_campaign=nl19442423

If they do go with an OHC engine. I will guarantee it won't be a Ford.

NASCAR already missed an opportunity several years ago.  They should have gone to 5.0L V8 as a step toward 3L V6.

OHC would mean WOT RPM would go through the roof.  Even the current, super-durable,  metal valve springs are not going to survive 500+ miles at 10,000+ (more likely 11,000 or even 12,000) RPM.  Do we really want air-springs like F1 ?

I see no advantage of going DI.  DI does NOT result in more HP or durability.  Just another mechanical thing (high pressure pump) to fail.  (A lot of the Ford EcoBoost engines have fallen back to a combination of PFI and DI.  They actuall run on PFI most of the time.)

I also think the future of NASCAR is more road courses and big city street racing.  The Detroit/Belle Isle circuit is a great venue.  Setup and tear down do not affect commuter traffic as it is an island park.

1 hour ago, theoldwizard said:

I also think the future of NASCAR is more road courses and big city street racing.  The Detroit/Belle Isle circuit is a great venue.  Setup and tear down do not affect commuter traffic as it is an island park.

As a casual fan, I agree with you. I don’t find oval racing interesting, but more non-oval racing could draw me in more. 

• Like 1