2021 Chevy Tahoe/Suburban

Assimilator

I think it's pretty decent looking, somewhat similar to the Expedition/Navigator body styling.  The back-end looks like it's from a minivan however, that's really strange at first glance.  The Z71 looks pretty bad-ass.  The sheetmetal is smoother and more detailed than the Expedition which gives it a higher-end look, IMO anyway.  

This does get an Air Suspension.

Edited by Assimilator

My dislike is mostly the front clip, which I don’t care for at all. A terrible extension from the Silverado. However, the Z71 is pretty intriguing as a package.  The FX4 package on the Expedition will need to be improved to be more competitive with it. I can definitely see some Expedition in that side profile. Did they add IRS to compete with the Expedition?

Assuming the Expedition gets a mid cycle update on time, it should be perfectly timed to address shortcomings against the competition. 

11 minutes ago, tbone said:

My dislike is mostly the front clip, which I don’t care for at all. A terrible extension from the Silverado. However, the Z71 is pretty intriguing as a package.  The FX4 package on the Expedition will need to be improved to be more competitive with it. I can definitely see some Expedition in that side profile. Did they add IRS to compete with the Expedition?

Assuming the Expedition gets a mid cycle update on time, it should be perfectly timed to address shortcomings against the competition. 

Yes, it does get IRS and Air Suspension.

The Expedition/Navigator do get an MCA for MY 2022. 

Edited by Assimilator

L

9 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Yes, it does get IRS and Air Suspension.

The Expedition/Navigator do get an MCA for MY 2022. 

Ideally that would have been a 2021 MCA,, not 2022, but at least it is getting one. I think the dash of the Expedition is its weakest link. I think it’s tied too closely to the F150, which was already three years old when the Expedition was introduced.

• Like 1

I'm a fan, it looks good on close inspection in particular.  From a distance it's a yawn.  The interior is Okay, still has the typical GM molten look I don't like but it's functional and lighter than the imposing and blocky dashboard of the Expedition.   I'm a little bugged by the rear glass shoulder-line not lining up with the rest of the greenhouse, but they offset it with other details.  You can see the design of Expediton and Navigator had some influence here, right down to the chamfered wheel arches and tappered wrap-around greenhouse.      

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/10/2021-chevy-suburban-revealed/

Edited by Assimilator

From the Jalopnik comments:

So, who ever is currently in charge of Chevrolet’s design team (I suspect Michael bay) needs to be fired and has no business doing this.

Chevrolet has the most universally horrifyingly terrible design language I think I have ever seen right now.

The Z71 looks like its missing a piece of trim on the bumper-Overall the front end is an eh to WTF where they thinking...

• Haha 1

MY2022 Expedition will be given an extensive MCA. New front clip from windshield forward, with new hood, headlights, grille and bumper fascia plus new liftgate and taillights out back.

Anyone hoping for a different than F-150 dashboard will be disappointed. It will

get a new dashboard but it will be shared with the MY2021 F-150.

I will say the MY2022 Expedition MCA is a serious effort to keep the product fresh and competitive.

• Like 1

I wonder if people are finna complain about the price creeps for these like ford customers/fans complained about the expy/navi price creeps.  A fully loaded suburban/denali xl looks to be pushin $90k and thats generous.  On top of that, they look wildly similar to the ford suvs with shared features and specs so wheres the value?  Even the "i need a v8" crowd are gonna be mad becuz since the trucks are bigger, the 5.3l is gonna be slow and the 6.2l is only available on "top" $75k or more trim.  Ford, if you ever paid attention to your customer base,  nows the time to do it, put the 5.0l in the expy.  That 25% of market share will increase but a huge margin.

Aside from the Z71 looking absolutely terrible, the other variants are... fine? Proportions still aren't as good as they should be but they're far better than other recent GM launches. 

The Escalade is the real disappointment here. There was a much more evocative concept that got scrapped very late in development. Great for Lincoln but bad for "the standard of the world."

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-cadillac-escalade-is-mercifully-inoffensive-lo-1840357470

The new Escalade isn't much better, despite what that headline says. 

Yeah Caddy is phoning in design as of late...not impressed one bit with it. The thing I'm surprised at is that there is really nothing different from it on the flanks then Tahoe and Suburban 

For the sake of GM, I hope these things are successful. I think they will be okay in the marketplace because of what preceeded them setting up a ready made market for these versions. If these versions had to compete on their own merit only, I think the Expy would be a much more formidable competitor. 

They look awful. How could GM screw up this product's appearance so much?