2021 Chevy Tahoe/Suburban

Assimilator

20 minutes ago, grbeck said:

Don't care for the grille of the Z71, but I can see these hitting the target with their intended audience - particularly with improved interiors.

Interiors are a lot better but there is still something about GM interiors that I just don't like and never have.

13 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

MY2022 Expedition will be given an extensive MCA. New front clip from windshield forward, with new hood, headlights, grille and bumper fascia plus new liftgate and taillights out back.

Anyone hoping for a different than F-150 dashboard will be disappointed. It will

get a new dashboard but it will be shared with the MY2021 F-150.

I will say the MY2022 Expedition MCA is a serious effort to keep the product fresh and competitive.

I can understand getting the new F150 dash, and that is probably acceptable because I expect it to be a segment leader, but there are ways to do some different trim pieces, etc, that can give it a different look. The current dashboard is a bit dull in my opinion for an expensive SUB, but I currently have a 2017  F150, so the new Expedition didn’t feel all that new to me I guess when it came out. 

That Caddy front-end actually looks really good, the body is unsurprisingly shared with the Chevy.  I'm not a fan of the Navigator's front or back, but the body and interior is perfect.  Escalade has a more casual and modern urban style, Navigator is a little more uptight traditional luxury.  The Escalade interior is absolutely bonkers. The dashboard is all screen with a stacked display design.  

I don't get the hate, I really like the style and substance in these vehicles, they'll be a huge success for them.  They still left plenty of room for the updated Expedition however (although Yukon and Escalade may reset that benchmark).   

2022 Expedition does get the new F-150 dashboard, which has some great tech like that giant Sync 4 screen (although it's not standard).  It's a much better design, not a huge departure however.  F-150 toned down the cartoonish blocky oversized vent design and reduced the verticality of the dashboard so it's not quite as massive with less of that flat hard plastic surfacing. 

Edited by Assimilator

30 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

That Caddy front-end actually looks really good

No, it doesn't. As grbeck said, the XT6 front end does not scale up well. Squinty eyes and shrugging guy don't combine well.

When the current slade was going to be introduced the fanboys were trying to hype it up. That fizzled pretty quick after it came out.

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

That Caddy front-end actually looks really good, the body is unsurprisingly shared with the Chevy.  I'm not a fan of the Navigator's front or back, but the body and interior is perfect.  Escalade has a more casual and modern urban style, Navigator is a little more uptight traditional luxury.  The Escalade interior is absolutely bonkers. The dashboard is all screen with a stacked display design.  

I don't get the hate, I really like the style and substance in these vehicles, they'll be a huge success for them.  They still left plenty of room for the updated Expedition however (although Yukon and Escalade may reset that benchmark).   

2022 Expedition does get the new F-150 dashboard, which has some great tech like that giant Sync 4 screen (although it's not standard).  It's a much better design, not a huge departure however.  F-150 toned down the cartoonish blocky oversized vent design and reduced the verticality of the dashboard so it's not quite as massive with less of that flat hard plastic surfacing. 

When will we expect to see the new f150?  What do you think is the best part of the new f150 interior? Does the screen integrate into the dash or is it tablet style? Any word on how they will change the nav dash?  Also, outside of hybrid, anything else ford plans on adding to the expy/navi?  

7 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Aside from the Z71 looking absolutely terrible, the other variants are... fine? Proportions still aren't as good as they should be but they're far better than other recent GM launches. 

The Escalade is the real disappointment here. There was a much more evocative concept that got scrapped very late in development. Great for Lincoln but bad for "the standard of the world."

Hm. i wonder what it looked like.

16 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

MY2022 Expedition will be given an extensive MCA. New front clip from windshield forward, with new hood, headlights, grille and bumper fascia plus new liftgate and taillights out back.

Anyone hoping for a different than F-150 dashboard will be disappointed. It will

get a new dashboard but it will be shared with the MY2021 F-150.

I will say the MY2022 Expedition MCA is a serious effort to keep the product fresh and competitive.

I wonder what updates Navigator will get?  Hopefully it doesn't stick it out with minimal updates.  I have a feeling it's going to skew closer to that than Expy's update.  I could see Navi getting a new hatch/taillight design with them "flipping" to match Aviator/Corsair, which are "flat" on top ant carve out underneath, whereas the Navi is the opposite.

A few overall thoughts:

-I actually think overall it/they look pretty good - MUCH better than the trucks inside and out.
-That Z71 thing looks horrible - the front is terrible and it looks like it's on stilts.

---

Some design oddities for me....
Exterior:
-the trim at the top of the c-pillar that runs from the rear door to the d-pillar looks out of place....almost like they couldn't decide how to resolve that area so just threw in a piece of plastic there
-likewise the slight sheetmetal crease at the bottom of the rear side window on the c-pillar.
-The taillights /back end are odd.
-I don't like the trim that encloses the Chevy emblem on the rear liftgate. This was clearly done so it can be easily swapped out for the Yukon (GMC logo) and Escalade (Caddy badge) without changing the whole panel. It just looks out of place and the lines of it don't match with anything. I think it would've looked better if the ends of it had lined up with the license plate opening (so the whole thing would end where the body color part ends).
-the Tahoe having a kick up in the beltline and Suburban not having it is also odd.

Interior:
-I understand what it's for, but the little stitched padded area below the center screen looks funny

-the push/pull gear shifter is weird.
-That little cubby door on the right of the center screen also looks weird, and I wonder how much it actually holds.
-The gauges are still cheap looking/use that same ancient GM/Chevy font.

Otherwise, the interior looks good.

---

Some funny things from the GMI crowd:

-Suddenly the tacked on ipad is ok and looks good.
-Push button shifter is now ok too apparently.

• Like 1

I think the Suburban looks fine in body, and they all look pretty bad in the front. That said, I will reserve judgement until I see them on the road. The interior is a huge improvement. 

Now, one big thing.................. what is up with GM and all of the weird lines on the sides? The straight character line looks fine. Then there is the weird uptick in the back window that doesn't align with the rear window................ and that odd little body line there. Also, what is up with the dumb looking chrome piece on top of the windows? The sides of the new trucks look terrible also, with lines going nowhere.................. and cars. WTF?

Now, that said, the Escalade is terrible. Why not just call it XT6 XL. It went from being brash to boring. How sad. The interior, short of the totally low rent seat bottom, looks great. 

That silver abomination looks like what happens when you frankenstein a lift onto something that was never designed to be a hardcore off-roader. It reminds me a lot of the Excursion actually, if you've ever seen one lifted... it just looks odd!

I kind of like the interior, though I don't like the implementation of the passenger tv sets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Aside from the Z71 looking absolutely terrible, the other variants are... fine? Proportions still aren't as good as they should be but they're far better than other recent GM launches. 

The Escalade is the real disappointment here. There was a much more evocative concept that got scrapped very late in development. Great for Lincoln but bad for "the standard of the world."

While the Z71 does look like the bumper fell off, it’s pretty clear they are trying to emphasize the approach and departure angles, which are important to off-roaders,  and makes it look like a legitimate performer. 

21 minutes ago, tbone said:

While the Z71 does look like the bumper fell off, it’s pretty clear they are trying to emphasize the approach and departure angles, which are important to off-roaders,  and makes it look like a legitimate performer. 

Which is awesome... but that gigantic chrome slab looks ridiculous. Very puzzling design choice, aesthetically speaking :headscratch:

On 12/11/2019 at 4:42 AM, falconlover 1 said:

Very decent trucks. Looks atractive, the interior are very nice (and compared with the Explorer interior, these are beautiful!).  GM will sell a lot of this things...

Yes sir. GM has 70% or more market share in the U.S. BOF full size SUV market. It looks like they are taking their leadership position very seriously and not resting on their laurels with these new 2021 models.

Autoline Daily mentioned that GM Arlington Assembly in Arlington, Texas where these vehicles are built is the "most profitable manufacturing plant in the world". That should continue for the next few years. But as the BEV revolution continues, GM will soon have to figure out how to make BEV versions of these SUVs with similar gross profit margins.