Explorer misses top safety mark

37 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm not seeing it, the 2020 looks completely different in person vs the D3 based Explorer.

Maybe to the trained eye, but thankfully one of my local dealers had a '20 parked next to a '19, so I could compare visual cues. The first thing i look for now is the rear-side window, to see if the roof is falling-off, compared to the "parallel" design of the prior generation.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

Once you see the 2020 Explorer in-person and in the full 360, you can see the huge differences in proportions.  At first glance, and from a distance, it looks like the old car because the style elements are derivatives of it.  But the old Explorer looks like a tall boxy SUV compared to the new one which feels longer, lower, and leaner.  The new Explorer looks awesome form every angle except head-on which is something they can fix eventually.  It's also a design that looks best when fully kitted, otherwise the cheapness of the details on the lower models weakens the overall effect.  

Edited by Assimilator

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

That was the last major refresh, there was another in 2018 (that barely changed anything outside of the grill) and added more features. 

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2018-ford-explorer-preview/

Which further reinforces that the car was supposed to go on as is for a few more years instead of being replaced roughly two years later 

I think 9 years was long enough.

2 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Once you see the 2020 Explorer in-person and in the full 360, you can see the huge differences in proportions.  At first glance, and from a distance, it looks like the old car because the style elements are derivatives of it.  But the old Explorer looks like a tall boxy SUV compared to the new one which feels longer, lower, and leaner.  The new Explorer looks awesome form every angle except head-on which is something they can fix eventually.  It's also a design that looks best when fully kitted, otherwise the cheapness of the details on the lower models weakens the overall effect.  

I disagree, I think the front end looks much better.  I think the smoked headlights and black gloss grill helps a lot.

20190823_112238.jpg

I've only owned 5 sedans (4 of them were Ford, Mercury and Lincolns) in my lifetime and never considered another category like coupes or trucks until I turned 50 this year.  The day before Thanksgiving I test drove the Explorer ST on 4 different occasions and really fell in love with it.  Ten days ago I pulled the trigger on a loaded Rapid Red ST!  So far I've driven it 300 miles and it is a joy to drive.  The size and height took some getting used to after driving MKZ's for the past 9 years.  My only complaints or little nitpicky items are:  1) With all of the high tech features and all LED interior and exterior front lighting, why did they cheap out and use 6 incandescent bulbs in the rear? (turn signals, reverse and license plate lights look a bit out of place like on some Acuras and BMWs with combination LED/incandescent units) 2) On a $60,000 vehicle, all 4 windows should be auto up/down not just the front ones! 3) Some of the interior plastic does feel flimsy for such an expensive truck, especially the glove box release which feels like it may fall off! 4) Again, $60K and no hood struts? 5) Why does this vehicle have mechanical door lock plungers?  I haven't owned a car with that old-school type of lock since my 1985 Tempo, every other car either had toggle-type mechanical locks or my 2013 MKZ had a red LED door lock indicator. This is like going backwards with tech. 6) Sync 3 has some lag issues and the most annoying one is the radio presets which can have up to 5 pages but really only works well with 2 pages.  If you save 5 pages of SiriusXM channels, the logos disappear every time you restart the vehicle and take a while to reload and reappear on the pages.  Sync 3 is a vast improvement over Sync 2 and MyLincoln Touch but sometimes at startup Sync 3 updates and reloading screens take far too long. 7) As cool as the sculpted, scooped out flat middle of the hood looks, when it rains and I park on an incline, it collects water!  WTF!  This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen!  Despite all of these relatively minor complaints, I am very happy with my purchase and this thing is a stunning beast and with Ford Co-Pilot 360, I feel very safe and secure!

1429995160_thumbnail1.thumb.jpg.eb29c4f5453ec0e3b761f15d70df068e.jpg1158471408_thumbnail1.thumb.jpg.9b08d32e8171c505df07cd679b204f62.jpg598228339_thumbnail1.thumb.jpg.c257d7dfdbab3fc297aee147c75cff1c.jpg683011795_thumbnail2.thumb.jpg.c8a8ce15cc18df305934a94a89c4cfd1.jpg1715166021_thumbnail1.thumb.jpg.9395ebcc22873259274aa61d5dcf156c.jpg1995558407_thumbnail2.thumb.jpg.31f8d5f39873a063acbb71fb4adafdb2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 12/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, silvrsvt said:

Your right, but obvious that someone who most likely no longer works for Ford thought it might have been a good idea. 

Alternate universe,

If Explorer had stayed as FWD D4 then Ford would have needed to do major changes to  the profile to make it look fresher. One way would have been to increase the D4's wheelbase to 117.9" and stretch the body out like they did with the CD6.

Edited by jpd80

11 hours ago, hbalek said:

I've only owned 5 sedans (4 of them were Ford, Mercury and Lincolns) in my lifetime and never considered another category like coupes or trucks until I turned 50 this year.  The day before Thanksgiving I test drove the Explorer ST on 4 different occasions and really fell in love with it.  Ten days ago I pulled the trigger on a loaded Rapid Red ST!  So far I've driven it 300 miles and it is a joy to drive.  The size and height took some getting used to after driving MKZ's for the past 9 years.  My only complaints or little nitpicky items are:  1) With all of the high tech features and all LED interior and exterior front lighting, why did they cheap out and use 6 incandescent bulbs in the rear? (turn signals, reverse and license plate lights look a bit out of place like on some Acuras and BMWs with combination LED/incandescent units) 2) On a $60,000 vehicle, all 4 windows should be auto up/down not just the front ones! 3) Some of the interior plastic does feel flimsy for such an expensive truck, especially the glove box release which feels like it may fall off! 4) Again, $60K and no hood struts? 5) Why does this vehicle have mechanical door lock plungers?  I haven't owned a car with that old-school type of lock since my 1985 Tempo, every other car either had toggle-type mechanical locks or my 2013 MKZ had a red LED door lock indicator. This is like going backwards with tech. 6) Sync 3 has some lag issues and the most annoying one is the radio presets which can have up to 5 pages but really only works well with 2 pages.  If you save 5 pages of SiriusXM channels, the logos disappear every time you restart the vehicle and take a while to reload and reappear on the pages.  Sync 3 is a vast improvement over Sync 2 and MyLincoln Touch but sometimes at startup Sync 3 updates and reloading screens take far too long. 7) As cool as the sculpted, scooped out flat middle of the hood looks, when it rains and I park on an incline, it collects water!  WTF!  This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen!  Despite all of these relatively minor complaints, I am very happy with my purchase and this thing is a stunning beast and with Ford Co-Pilot 360, I feel very safe and secure!

1429995160_thumbnail1.thumb.jpg.eb29c4f5453ec0e3b761f15d70df068e.jpg1158471408_thumbnail1.thumb.jpg.9b08d32e8171c505df07cd679b204f62.jpg598228339_thumbnail1.thumb.jpg.c257d7dfdbab3fc297aee147c75cff1c.jpg683011795_thumbnail2.thumb.jpg.c8a8ce15cc18df305934a94a89c4cfd1.jpg1715166021_thumbnail1.thumb.jpg.9395ebcc22873259274aa61d5dcf156c.jpg1995558407_thumbnail2.thumb.jpg.31f8d5f39873a063acbb71fb4adafdb2.jpg

Completely agree on several.  I upgraded to LEDs for the rear for under $40.  Hood struts would be nice..  minor but dont understand why they would not put them on.

Sync 3 was laggy for me to for the first week or two.  It has been flawless since then.  I know it sounds silly saying it needed to break in but it seems like that's the case.  And yes, the resrs should be auto up/down as well.

The rest that you mentioned doesnt bother me.

I am disappointed to see this happen and even more so how it happens in today’s market is unacceptable. 

Maybe their sales are strong right now but I don’t see those premium prices holding up. 
This market is changing rapidly and I think Ford still thinks it 1995. You have new nameplates that weren’t in this market 2 years ago like the Atlas and Ascent. And then along comes the Koreans with the Telluride which is flying

off the lots At full MSRP and

winning damn near every head to head competition out there. Their products were brand new also and somehow managed to be a top safety pick. 

8 minutes ago, kyle said:

And then along comes the Koreans with the Telluride which is flying off the lots At full MSRP and

winning damn near every head to head competition out there. Their products were brand new also and somehow managed to be a top safety pick. 

The Explorer is still outselling both the Teulluride and Palasades put together...and magazine competitions are tainted by advertising dollars-Not to mention who the hell buys them anymore?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The Explorer is still outselling both the Teulluride and Palasades put together...and magazine competitions are tainted by advertising dollars-Not to mention who the hell buys them anymore?

The Explorer might be outselling them but Kia/Hyundai is limited in plant capacity and dealers.  If you think the Explorer is the better product more power to you but to me it’s not even close. 

Haven’t read a car review in years but I watch YouTube and I’ve not seen one overly positive review of the Explorer. I sat in one a few weeks ago at Car rental drop

off and it is uninspiring to me compared to the Koreans. 
have a good friend who is shopping for a new suv and he mentioned Land Rover, Audi and Jag that he really likes. Then he goes and says but “I really love that new Telluide.”  So that alone tells me how strong that product is.  Just disappointed that Ford didn’t “go further”

I will be in the market next year and I don’t see me spending $50k on a Explorer when I can spend $37 for a Kia that is way more distinctive looking and has a superior interior. Plus I’m not into turbo charged engines when I can get a proven V6. 
that sucks  for me since I would rather buy American and grew up in Michigan with a GM family-and I wouldn’t even consider a GM vehicle besides the new Vette. 

• Like 1