Explorer misses top safety mark

In the driver-side small overlap test of the Explorer, the structure held up well overall — an improvement over the severe intrusion seen in the Explorer prior to the redesign. However, in the test of the new model, there was enough intrusion into the outboard part of the footwell to elevate the risk of injury to the driver's left leg, as indicated by measures taken from the dummy, resulting in an overall rating of acceptable.

Ford had expected the Explorer to earn a good rating in the driver-side small overlap test and said it would investigate why it didn't. The automaker plans to implement changes with the aim of improving the vehicle's performance for a future test.

Good to hear that Ford is seeking to improve Explorer's crash protection

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Good to hear that Ford is seeking to improve Explorer's crash protection

Agreed. I don’t think it will take much to pass this test. Maybe a modification to the floor pan or like the old fusions, they added a pad under the accel pedal. The structure looked like it stayed intact.

8 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

Agreed. I don’t think it will take much to pass this test. Maybe a modification to the floor pan or like the old fusions, they added a pad under the accel pedal. The structure looked like it stayed intact.

Yes, they can add the IIHS results into their virtual crash modelling and see what's going on,

that will help them come up with a quick remedy.

It's like the margin for success is way too narrow and any variances in build quality can lead to an unfavorable result. Ford needs to put a bit more QUALITY back into their car's basic engineering. they're skimping too much....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

Ford dropped the sedans to focus on the suvs, but apparently didn't focus enough.  Grotesque finishing errors, faulty screens and now the safety test.  Its Better relaunch Explorer next year with all this fixed. 

Last month Explorer sold within about 2,000 sales of November 2018

Edited by jpd80

The new Explorer is a fail. An epic fail. Is very good on paper, a very good platform with RWD, good powerplants but the design is not as good as it can be with that platform. The designers cant do anything that be relevant. The new Explorer looks too much like the old model. The front end is not atractive, the rear end is only OK, and the interior is horrible, and looks cheap. The design get a 5 from 10 scale. Now, the launch. I dont remember a mess like the Explorer (and Aviator...) launch . Was (or is....) a complete disaster. Fails in quality, vehicles repurchased by Lincoln...   Then, the price. Why you ask a lot of money for a vehicle as mediocre as this? And the customers will pay it? I doubt it.  And now this? The new Explorer cant get a top safety mark?      Why?   Why?  And Ford pretend to survive without cars with this kind of SUVs/crossovers? 

The responsibles for this nightmare deserve to lose their job.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

The new Explorer is a fail. An epic fail. Is very good on paper, a very good platform with RWD, good powerplants but the design is not as good as it can be with that platform. The designers cant do anything that be relevant. The new Explorer looks too much like the old model. The front end is not atractive, the rear end is only OK, and the interior is horrible, and looks cheap. The design get a 5 from 10 scale. Now, the launch. I dont remember a mess like the Explorer (and Aviator...) launch . Was (or is....) a complete disaster. Fails in quality, vehicles repurchased by Lincoln...   Then, the price. Why you ask a lot of money for a vehicle as mediocre as this? And the customers will pay it? I doubt it.  And now this? The new Explorer cant get a top safety mark?      Why?   Why?  And Ford pretend to survive without cars with this kind of SUVs/crossovers? 

Minor blip which is already forgotten.

November sales - 15422 vs. 17696 a year ago.  Given the higher ATPs and presumably lower rebates along with inventory levels not yet full and I think Ford would consider this a triple at this point if not a home run.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

And the customers will pay it?

Yes sir, Ford loyalists/sheeple will pay for it. It may be puzzling why rational consumers would buy an 2020 Explorer over competitors that have superior quality and safety ratings. 

But don't underestimate the power of the "Explorer" name. And Ford's high owner loyalty rate.

• Like 1

Do I wish the Explorer would have changed more in appearance than the previous model?  Yes.

Is the new model bad looking?  No.

Is it better looking than the GM products, or Dodge for that matter?  Yes.

Would these crash ratings deter me from buying one?  No.

IMO...

But I seriously doubt I would be buying an Explorer as it is bigger than I need.  So I'm not really in the game other than a spectator....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, Ford loyalists/sheeple will pay for it. It may be puzzling why rational consumers would buy an 2020 Explorer over competitors that have superior quality and safety ratings. 

But don't underestimate the power of the "Explorer" name. And Ford's high owner loyalty rate.

My son and his wife test drove one last week. They were not impressed. As they are planning to replace one of their SUVs later this month - they both are loyalists - but the Explorer is out of the running as of now. At today's prices, and with the competition including things as standard that Ford is optioning, AND considering Ford's build quality as of late, it's a damn shame. It should of been test driving a couple Explorers to confirm which trim pkg they wanted. Now it's not even under consideration and all the competition is getting test driven.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RaZor said:

My son and his wife test drove one last week. They were not impressed. As they are planning to replace one of their SUVs later this month - they both are loyalists - but the Explorer is out of the running as of now. At today's prices, and with the competition including things as standard that Ford is optioning, AND considering Ford's build quality as of late, it's a damn shame. It should of been test driving a couple Explorers to confirm which trim pkg they wanted. Now it's not even under consideration and all the competition is getting test driven.

So it's just price that deterred them?

2 hours ago, akirby said:

So I might walk away with a bruise or a sprained ankle IF the impact exactly mimics the test?   And that takes it out of the Good category?   Good grief.

It missed their "top safety pick" literally by one foot... every other rating was green except some footwell intrusion that could result in a left foot injury in one of the offset tests.  Good grief is right!!! It will most likely earn 5 stars on the government tests.

37 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Do I wish the Explorer would have changed more in appearance than the previous model?  Yes.

Is the new model bad looking?  No.

Is it better looking than the GM products, or Dodge for that matter?  Yes.

Would these crash ratings deter me from buying one?  No.

This.  Difference in actual real world crash results is statistically insignificant.  I'd feel safe in almost any new vehicle.  I think AEB is the biggest difference maker and it's standard now.   Styling is subjective but I saw one in person the other day and it looks good to me, better than most of the competition.

They're going with premium pricing for now - we'll see what happens in 6 months when the newness wears off.  They might have to increase rebates or they might just be happy with the sales volume and ATPs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 92merc said:

The only other thing I will add is that considering how much of an outstanding job they did on the Aviator, it's a shame the Explorer didn't do as well.  Styling wise...

I think part of the issue is the old Explorer did so well that they didn't want to take a chance and miss the mark.  But I agree a bit more differentiation would be nice.  Still looks good to me though.

• Like 1

They'll fix it, but this vehicle has spent a great deal of time fixing unexpected problems.  It would be one thing if this was an isolated incident, but considering the recalls and manufacturing problems, it really seems to be unusually problematic for a modern vehicle launch.  You simply don't see this happening with other cars today.

I don't think any of this really harms Explorer longterm, the customers really only care about their personal experience.  Do they like how it looks, feels drives, prices, etc.  I'm sure negative scuttlebutt and reviews don't help, but it's not quite that bad.  Explorer unfortunately isn't going to boost Ford's reputation this time around, but hopefully over time it will prove itself with continued improvements.  It's a good foundation anyway.  

I'll like the Explorer more once they iron out the bugs or give it an update.  I was expecting to like the 2020 Explorer since I've always wanted one, but the styling and luxuries weren't quite up to expectations.  Updating the front and back would be good enough for me, even the interior is passable despite the dashboard moulds looking like they came out of 2000's GM minivan.

Regarding Explorer sales, keep in mind that the units sold being reported here combine the Utility Interceptor, so Explorer retail sales probably have a wider gap than that, but it'll close. 

Edited by Assimilator

7 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

?triggered much...it lookms NOTHING like the old model...not even close....and customers are absolutely digging the interior you hate./ I can go along with the front end being questionable, not a fan myself, but that's subjective for sure...the profile is stunning as is the rear 3/4 view. Is it as pretty as Lincoln's version...no, but once again opinion, and price wise the Linc is a significant step up. As for the lunch...most error ridden one I can remember...and iin this day and age ...should be deemed unacceptable. I think you need to begin super gluing your hair back on...nothing you've mentioned will hurt long term.

I think there is some deserved, criticism regarding the Explorer. As well as some hyperbole feeding into this negativity.  In my opinion, the launch was a debacle. I think we all can agree about that. That led to some really poor quality vehicles getting out onto the lots. From what I've most of these issues have been resolved, it just took some time. 

The pricing and more spartan interior for the lower models, especially considering the Korean twins, is being blown out of proportion a bit due to the sensationalism of auto mags.  The Korean twins have value and on the surface look luxurious. Is the engineering better? The Explorer has a much more sophisticated powertain/AWD system,  gets better fuel economy, has all the gadgets that the Koreans do. Yet, all the naysayers say, well I can get a (near luxury) Telluride for that price of an XLT. Is the sky really falling? I don't think so.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I think your going to be gravely disappointed that doesn't happen 

Like 92merc, I'm only a spectator here. My family and I have no need or desire to get a crossover or SUV. Doesn't matter to me personally whether the emergency refresh for Explorer happens or not.

Ford can probably get away with not doing an emergency refresh of the current generation Explorer, come to think of it. Even after the rollover debacle in the early 2000, a series of mediocre (or worse) product from the 2nd generation to the 5th, and the completely botched launch of the current generation, the Explorer name still remains strong. That's amazing.

4 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Like 92merc, I'm only a spectator here. My family and I have no need or desire to get a crossover or SUV. Doesn't matter to me personally whether the emergency refresh for Explorer happens or not.

Ford can probably get away with not doing an emergency refresh of the current generation Explorer, come to think of it. Even after the rollover debacle in the early 2000, a series of mediocre (or worse) product from the 2nd generation to the 5th, and the completely botched launch of the current generation, the Explorer name still remains strong. That's amazing.

Statistics showed the Explorer was no more prone to rollovers than any other SUV at that time.  

• Like 1