Is this really true???

So, the wife's Nautilus is hers to drive so I don't drive it much... but yesterday I drove it and when I went to back into a lovely perfect parking place, I shifted in reverse and the right side passenger side mirror did not move... What??? Okay.... study all settings in the car... no place do I see a "tilt mirror" setting. What??? I get home, peruse the manual..., no luck.... Are you telling me that on a modern high tech car that's top of the line that can even park itself, it doesn't have a reverse tilt mirror to help me back into somewhere??? Every car I've had since 1995 has had that!!!! ?

Someone please tell me I'm wrong and that it can do this... I'd be shocked to know something so ubiquitous in all good cars isn't on our car that we just shelled out more than we ever have for a car...

I guess we can just manually tilt the mirror down, but still.... ?

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Deafsoundguy said:

So, the wife's Nautilus is hers to drive so I don't drive it much... but yesterday I drove it and when I went to back into a lovely perfect parking place, I shifted in reverse and the right side passenger side mirror did not move... What??? Okay.... study all settings in the car... no place do I see a "tilt mirror" setting. What??? I get home, peruse the manual..., no luck.... Are you telling me that on a modern high tech car that's top of the line that can even park itself, it doesn't have a reverse tilt mirror to help me back into somewhere??? Every car I've had since 1995 has had that!!!! ?

Someone please tell me I'm wrong and that it can do this... I'd be shocked to know something so ubiquitous in all good cars isn't on our car that we just shelled out more than we ever have for a car...

I guess we can just manually tilt the mirror down, but still.... ?

That was a feature on my Dads 2005 Kia Amati...I hated it and so did Dad. I go to back up and the mirror is tilted down to the ground...I would reposition it back up. Dumb feature. 

Edited by twintornados

I haven't seen this feature on Lincolns since the 90's with my parents 1998 Mark VIII LSC.  None of my Lincolns since 2000 have had them.  This was something you could turn off under settings if you didn't want it.  This was before the age of backup and 360 cameras.  

Hyundai does something REALLY interesting with their side mirror cameras, they turn on when you signal so you can see down the side of your car in your IP.  I LOVE this idea, I want it so badly because I'm always nervous about curb rash, especially in an SUV where the tall window sill limits visibility.  Ford has a very rudimentary 360 camera system in a few cars, but it's really outdated now.  Blurry, distorted, poorly stitched together, small display on the screen, vague boundary area between the car and the camera, etc.  

Edited by Assimilator

Interesting that not many people depend on it like me... I find the camera angle too small to know where the heck I am in relationship with the curb that threatens grinding my new black powder coating off on my passenger side back wheel. I'm used to hitting reverse, have the mirror tilt down, and I can see perfectly where the curb is in relationship to my tire. I can not be wearing glasses and see that perfectly. To see the screen which is small, and see it clearly, then I might need to put on my @&^$ reading glasses... yeah an old guy thing. So it's just way easier for me, and what I'm used to.

In the BMW i3, you could use the mirror selector switch to decide what mirror you wanted. So if I'm backing in with my passenger side wheel near a wheel eating curb, I would have it so that it tilted down on that side. If backing up and the curb is on the left driver side, I would simply switch the mirror selector to the left and it tilts down to let me see left side. Or if I don't want it to tilt down on a particular side, I would just switch it to the the side I didn't care about. I thought it was great. I still think it's weird as H*ll that it (the Lincoln) doesn't tilt when every car I've had in the past 25 years did.... If I didn't have to wear reading glasses for more close up stuff maybe that 360 view would come in handy. Not used to it yet. ?

I've gone through the settings a few times, never saw it.  I don't use the feature.   Took the Nautilus out for the first time this morning since getting home a week ago.  I backed into the garage and the 360 camera worked great.  I never thought to use the self parking, probably would have been faster...haha

23 hours ago, coupe3w said:

I have the back up camera in my Focus St and I find it easy to use. I'm 67 and wear glasses. You may want to get some bi-focal glasses and just wear your glasses all the time. Just a thought.

And some wonder why yoda can build virtually crap product and yet gain market share...