Cybertruck "very likely" to be classified as Medium Duty

fuzzymoomoo

21 hours ago, ute said:

it will be a status symbol

21 hours ago, snooter said:

i would not underestimate tesla in the truck market...

Yes sir ute and snooter, you are correct on both counts. High end pickup trucks are big time status symbols currently. And no other automaker comes close to Tesla in terms of designing super desirable BEV. By combining a Class 2B pickup truck configuration with the best BEV engineering in the industry, Tesla Cybertruck sets the benchmark. Status seeking pickup truck customers will snap it up, no wonder it has over 250k reservations and year 2019 isn't even done.

The incumbent pickup truck makers in the U.S. have their work cut out for them. But if any of those companies (GM, Ford, FCA, Nissan, Toyota) beat Tesla in putting a BEV pickup truck as bold and capable as Cybertruck into mass production before late 2021, that company or companies will have it made. I'm betting on Ford with Rivian's help to do it. Maybe with both a BEV F-150 as well as BEV Super Duty.

Edited by rperez817

OK, Why is this thing that looks like a cub scouts carved car called a truck ? If I'm hauling 4x8 plywood or drywall where would I put it.  Is it a truck because of big tires? I can put big ass tires on my Mustag doesn't mean it's a truck, because it  can tow? so can my Mustang who gives a shit.

You want an electric truck fine, make it a truck first, until then piss off

I feel so much better now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ron W. said:

OK, Why is this thing that looks like a cub scouts carved car called a truck ? If I'm hauling 4x8 plywood or drywall where would I put it.  Is it a truck because of big tires? I can put big ass tires on my Mustag doesn't mean it's a truck, because it  can tow? so can my Mustang who gives a shit.

You want an electric truck fine, make it a truck first, until then piss off

I feel so much better now.

It has as big of a bed as any truck......slightly larger if I'm not mistaken.

5 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

I stand corrected, of all the pictures of it that I've seen no box was shown. I just googled the pictures of it and some do show a box,

Still looks like a cub scout derby car. I'll stick with my F150

Edited by Ron W.

2 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

According to Tesla’s website, the bed length is 6.5 feet.  Of course, they call it a vault because it’s lockable.  So no, it’s not as big as the bed of any truck.  Some - yes.  Any - no.

In my opinion, this is more of a Chevy Avalanche than a truck.

Edited by CurtisH
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ron W. said:

I stand corrected, of all the pictures of it that I've seen no box was shown. I just googled the pictures of it and some do show a box,

Still looks like a cub scout derby car. I'll stick with my F150

Oh I completely agree on the look...... definitely not for me.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:59 AM, CurtisH said:

According to Tesla’s website, the bed length is 6.5 feet.  Of course, they call it a vault because it’s lockable.  So no, it’s not as big as the bed of any truck.  Some - yes.  Any - no.

In my opinion, this is more of a Chevy Avalanche than a truck.

As big as any half ton super crew......no not as big a as any truck.

Sorry, you can get an 8" bed on a half ton super crew.

Edited by 70 Stang

Well, I tell ya, I was about to pull the trigger on an F250 Tremor and after this thing came out, I signed up for a tri-motor.  Crew cab, same size bed, essentially the same price and waaaaay more fun.  That thing will be the ultimate outdoorsman-mobile.  You can charge it at any campground and camp out of the bed and cross country trips will be cake with 500mi on tap.  I look forward to driving it like I stole it.

4 hours ago, Assimilator said:

It doesn't exist yet, the Tremor does.  

...so does my current truck.  I’d rather wait a couple of more years for the CT.  My current truck still runs fine.  If the CT wasn’t that close or awesome, I’d just get the Tremor.

Edited by novanglus

19 hours ago, novanglus said:

Well, I tell ya, I was about to pull the trigger on an F250 Tremor and after this thing came out, I signed up for a tri-motor.  Crew cab, same size bed, essentially the same price and waaaaay more fun.  That thing will be the ultimate outdoorsman-mobile.  You can charge it at any campground and camp out of the bed and cross country trips will be cake with 500mi on tap.  I look forward to driving it like I stole it.

You'll only have to wait 5 years for one....

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No

...man, some of you have no sense of humor.  I’m sure the Bronco will be great when it gets here, but I’d wager the CT’s gestation is much shorter than the Bronco’s given the massive difference in development requirements.  That’s the beauty of EVs.  It will be using the same motors, packs, software, etc. as the S, X, Roadster, and Semi.

41 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I'm curious how much  that 500 mile range is reduced when the Tesla truck is used like a MD and 

start towing say 9,000 lbs to 16.000 lb on a regular basis as  those  trucks tend to do.

Never be used as an MD. It's a status symbol for Teslaheads.

Be interesting if it ever gets built. Has to pass crash standards.

Elon proved when he ran over the road cone that the sightlines are atrocious. Are you able to take your prototype to supper? He should get a fine for that but I'm sure he won't.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

Never be used as an MD. It's a status symbol for Teslaheads.

Be interesting if it ever gets built. Has to pass crash standards.

Elon proved when he ran over the road cone that the sightlines are atrocious. Are you able to take your prototype to supper? He should get a fine for that but I'm sure he won't.

I guess that’s what I was driving at, it’s big and heavy and needs a big heavy battery pack that compounds the weight problem even further.

still, it will probably have a cult following because it’s a Tesla and no one else has anything like it. Maybe Elon was wise to duck the possibility of direct competition.