Cybertruck "very likely" to be classified as Medium Duty

fuzzymoomoo

17 hours ago, novanglus said:

...man, some of you have no sense of humor.  I’m sure the Bronco will be great when it gets here, but I’d wager the CT’s gestation is much shorter than the Bronco’s given the massive difference in development requirements.  That’s the beauty of EVs.  It will be using the same motors, packs, software, etc. as the S, X, Roadster, and Semi.

You mean the same Roadster and Semi that were shown years ago now and still haven't arrived?

Obviously, Bronco has been on the way for a long time too, but Tesla has a history of showing products years in advance.

Edited by rmc523

44 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

So if it is MD, does that mean it should be F750 CC 4x4  vs CT in the pull challenge?

No but if the gross vehicle weight rating is above 10,000 lbs then technically it is a Medium Duty Truck

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Exactly, thank you jpd80 sir.

Truck classifications in the U.S.

fotw707.gif.pagespeed.ce._Kgpbxrp68.gif

Thanks for posting that, it illustrates the truck classes perfectly 

At the moment everyone is just WOW over Tesla truck being class MD but is that purely because it’s just so heavy, enabling it to haul and tow like a class 3 but when you do, the battery range crashes......and yeah, I might end up eating my words here but everything comes at a price or a limit......

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Exactly, thank you jpd80 sir.

Truck classifications in the U.S.

fotw707.gif.pagespeed.ce._Kgpbxrp68.gif

Class 2 is further split into 2A and 2B.

2A is under 8500lbs GVWR - basically F-150 and the likes

2B is 8501-10000 lbs GVWR - basically F-250 and the likes

"Medium Duty" is really a commercial term that generally refers to class 4 to 6.

EPA classification is slightly different where everything under 8500 lbs is "light duty" (LD1-LD4) and everything over 8500 lbs is "heavy duty" (HD2b - HD8b). 

weights.jpg

Edited by bzcat
  • Thanks 1

Those EPA classifications are more to do with emission grouping. The Federal Highway Administration groups the trucks differently, classes 1 & 2 are Light Duty, classes 3 to 6 are Medium Duty, Classes 7 & 8 are Heavy Duty.

Im not saying one is more correct than the other, just that Tesla has a lot of latitude when it comes to classifying its Truck, especially since grading for EPA emissions  is irrelevant with a BEV truck.

Edited by jpd80
  • Thanks 1

The Cybertruck is revolutionary and sets new standards that all other trucks, EV or not will be judged by. When you compare the Cybdertruck single motor RWD to the F150 Supercrew 2.7L Ecoboost you get a better bang for your buck in price, horsepower, towing capacity, torque, and cargo capacity, additionally, there are 7000 Level 3 Superchargers now in North America being upgraded to V3 (1000 miles per hour charge) and ~everyone is just 150 miles from one.  

• Like 1

Until there are as many Level 3 charging stations (40 miles of range for every 10 minutes of charging)in the USA for non-Tesla autos, other auto manufacturers are asking the public to buy their EV whose range is actually 1/2 or less of the stated range, that is if you plan to return home. Level 2 chargers max out at 6.6 kW which is about 25 miles per hour. 

• Haha 1

Ford and all other truck manufacturers use body on frame construction, a holdover from the carriage days. Interestingly, even if the body is aluminum, the truck frames are bare steel and designed to rust, a real negative in areas that have salt on the roads during winter months. Rust is a bonus for truck manufacturers because it reduces the life of the truck. Even DeLorean built his cars from SS with carbon fiber frames and he was a car industry insider. Tesla knows something about metallurgy since Musk owns RocketX and builds the spaceship, so my guess is the 30x stainless steel the exoskeleton of the Cybertruck is 3mm thick 304 cold-formed hardened stainless steel which cannot be die-formed but has to be folded, thus the lines and strength of the exoskeleton of the truck. Since painting occupies 25% of the manufacturing space and is expensive, you do not have to paint SS.

55 minutes ago, mlhm5 said:

Ford and all other truck manufacturers use body on frame construction, a holdover from the carriage days. Interestingly, even if the body is aluminum, the truck frames are bare steel and designed to rust, a real negative in areas that have salt on the roads during winter months. Rust is a bonus for truck manufacturers because it reduces the life of the truck. Even DeLorean built his cars from SS with carbon fiber frames and he was a car industry insider. Tesla knows something about metallurgy since Musk owns RocketX and builds the spaceship, so my guess is the 30x stainless steel the exoskeleton of the Cybertruck is 3mm thick 304 cold-formed hardened stainless steel which cannot be die-formed but has to be folded, thus the lines and strength of the exoskeleton of the truck. Since painting occupies 25% of the manufacturing space and is expensive, you do not have to paint SS.

But buyers like paint and colors.  And a DeLorean used a steel chassis not carbon fiber.  And a Ford frames don’t rust any more than any other part of any other vehicle.  

SS is nothing more than a PR gimmick like the glass.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I think they said black stainless, not a paint job.

Stainless steel only comes in one color. If it is black it will have a coating. As I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was oxidized rather than paint. The point is, whether it’s paint, oxidation, or heck, post it notes, that process is a process that will require time and a physical place to be done. (The troll was suggesting the lack of paint would simplify production and save space).