CURRENT production Aviators STILL with MAJOR body panel alignment issues

Lorac

So, I just got back from my Lincoln dealer to pick up my wife's Aviator with VIN ending in the 8600's. The car has been in the shop at the dealer now for 29 days ,and turns out is still is not fully repaired. I went to pick up the car assuming it was fully repaired, only to find out that as we drove it out of the service bay that the seatbelt waring sensor was still malfunctioning. The car has ONLY 470 miles as of today. So the car is going back in. We only had the car for two weeks before bringing the car back to the selling dealer for repair for :: the rear hatch would not open, the alarm went off all night, right door handle was broken, dash screen AND rear screen were both broken as of the delivery date, etc, and major body panels misaligned. Our rear hatch was So misaligned that the rear hatch would not open. 

So Today, while at the dealer, I decided to look at a new Aviator on the lot with the window sticker.

OMG, the VIN ends in 16,300 and the body panels and doors were way way off. The hood was so badly misaligned. I am NOT super picky or anal but these misalignments were major. The window sticker production date says 10-30-19. This is so un acceptable. WOW ! 

So, I was already advised by two attorneys that practice Lemon law that my car already  qualifies under lemon law. And my wife and I were thinking of just taking a new Aviator as a replacement, BUT after seeing the new Aviator on the lot with these horrible body panels misaligned, I think we will take a full refund instead. 

Looks like these Aviators are STILL currently pushed off the assembly  line  with horrible body panel fit. Its bizarre. Like the car was made in China, ( using " Made in China" as a stereotype for shoddy quality) 

I do not understand how Ford has still not gotten the quality better, now with cars that have 13,000 VIN serial numbers. 

Wifey and I LOVE the Aviator but we cannot accept this horrible build quality. 

Edited by Lorac

I said before that I spent a good while inspecting the very first truck load of early run Aviators my dealer recieved and they all had excellent fit and finish.  I've also stopped by several times since then to see if they had our color combo and I haven't seen any issues yet, even on units that haven't been prepped. If I had spotted inconsistent quality I would have canceled our order until next spring.  That said, I agree there is no excuse for letting even one Job 2 unit slip through the cracks with multiple panel alignment issues.

Edited by CoolScoop

37 minutes ago, Wheeling said:

It is Made by Union.  

To say that insults unions and union workers, including those working at Ford, who do high quality work. Organizational and management problems at Ford Motor Company generally, combined with issues at Chicago Assembly Plant specifically (low morale and hostile work environment), caused the botched launch and ongoing quality issues with 2020 Lincoln Aviator. 

Lorac's lemon Aviator isn't the fault of Union.

7 minutes ago, Wheeling said:

I remembered reading about gangsters controls in that Chicago plant. 

I think you're right about that Wheeling sir. CAP is located in a gang infested, high crime area of southern Chicago. Pretty sure other Ford plants don't have that problem.

Edited by rperez817

On 12/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, Husker Fan said:

Are the last 5 numbers of the serial number the # of your car?    Ours is 24825....does that mean over 24,000 were built before it? Thanks!!

No.  The VIN Serial number is essentially the number it was assigned at the time the order was processed and assigned a VIN.  All it means was 24824 were processed for production before you.  The closest date to build sequence is the blend date.   You can find that on your sticker.  Cars/Trucks are built by commodity availability and blending difficulty, not number sequence.

• 1 month later...

got our delivered last week.  vin ends in 24728 and unfortunately body panels are still misaligned, trim is not straight, doors don't close smoothly or are aligned properly (only 2) the other two are perfect.  Hood is also misaligned.  showed up with couple chips in the pain and small dent on the hood, paint imperfections in about 3 places among other small issues.   documented with dealer and waiting for an appointment but still very disappointing. 

On 12/13/2019 at 2:56 PM, rperez817 said:

To say that insults unions and union workers, including those working at Ford, who do high quality work. Organizational and management problems at Ford Motor Company generally, combined with issues at Chicago Assembly Plant specifically (low morale and hostile work environment), caused the botched launch and ongoing quality issues with 2020 Lincoln Aviator. 

Lorac's lemon Aviator isn't the fault of Union.

Blaming management for poor work ethics is laughable. Assembly issues are directly related to labor, not those in charge. Ever hear of iso9k quality at point of individual @ assembley?

Low morale or hostile work environment is no excuse for sabotage.

Interestingly, these attitudes and issues are rarely heard of in non union auto manufacturing plants here in the usa.

Edited by Patroy
Adds

28 minutes ago, Patroy said:

Blaming management for poor work ethics is laughable. Assembly issues are directly related to labor, not those in charge. Ever hear of iso9k quality at point of individual @ assembley?

Low morale or hostile work environment is no excuse for sabotage.

Interestingly, these attitudes and issues are rarely heard of in non union auto manufacturing plants here in the usa.

But they sure want their bonus checks. LOL

Ours delivered 6 Feb 2020.  Fit and finish all within tolerances on first inspection.  It was raining, but still nothing looks amiss today.  I'll update after I detail the car.  We're very pleased with the purchase after 30 hours.  No buyers remorse.  Kids most impressed with massage seats and screen graphics.  Used self park today for straight in parking.  It's slow, but it works.  Spouse noticed the way the dynamic handling packaged "smoothed" the road that was annoyingly uncomfortable in our MKX.  Shout out to Ourisman Lincoln.  Best car buying experience ever.  

During my long wait I've stopped by my dealer numerous times to check out the new arrivals.  With all the negative press I was expecting to find some major defects or at least a bunch of minor ones, especially on early builds.  But fit and finish on all of them since the first load in July has been impressive, just as good as the other models like Navigator and Nautilus.

Edited by CoolScoop

22 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

During my long wait I've stopped by my dealer numerous times to check out the new arrivals.  With all the negative press I was expecting to find some major defects or at least a bunch of minor ones, especially on early builds.  But fit and finish on all of them since the first load in July has been impressive, just as good as the other models like Navigator and Nautilus.

A good dealer will never let you see minor flaws like that, most take the car in for inspection/correction after the PDI.  I'm anxious to see how mine is.  It has arrived at the local train depot and should be delivered Sunday.  I have to make a trip to Fl, so I won't be able to pick it up until Monday the 17th.  

11 hours ago, mustangchief said:

A good dealer will never let you see minor flaws like that, most take the car in for inspection/correction after the PDI. 

True, that's why I check them out in the delivery rows at the back lot... before they are even touched or serviced.  A top notch dealer will show their retail customers any flaws before repairing them, then make sure they're happy with the results.

Edited by CoolScoop