Nautilus torque versus our past rides

Car is still pretty new to us, with my wife driving it 90% of the time. Here's one thing I really noticed about the Nautilus versus our former past rides - ALL of them. Her last rig - the top of the line (non SVR) Fpace had 380Hp and 340 lbs of torque. The 2.7 Nautilus has the reverse, 340Hp and 380 lbs of torque. I guess that's the difference in what I am liking way better. One thing that annoys the heck out of me is feeling the car lug whatsoever. Even in our ex-Jag, there's a speed where the rpms aren't up enough and I have to give it more gas or shift down, or hit Sport mode. And that drives me nuts. Why can't it just seem like it doesn't care if you hit a small hill like an electric car? So the first thing I notice is how much guts the Nautilus has to get you up hills and doesn't even seem to care or lug - it just goes. I love that! In Sport mode it's even more pronounced and seems like it's just ready for action. In some of our loaners we've had over the years while our car is in the shop (whatever car it was), I've always noticed the same thing and some were worse than others. You had to shift down to the next gear to have any guts at all even going on fairly level ground - push on the gas and you get hesitation or gutless speed-up. Forget high gear unless you're on a straightaway that's level.  I think the BMW X3 and the LR Discovery sport were the worst offenders in recent memory. So far the Nautilus has been the most satisfying car for me as far as just driving down the road with enough guts where I never have had the desire to shift down once! Sometimes it's the little things.... 380 of them ?. My 2 cents anyway....

• Like 1

I just got a Nautilus BL 2.7L AWD this year and I've been buying the MKX since it debuted in 2007.  The way it drives changed quite a bit with the new 8 Speed ATX, it took a moment to get use to it, but now I love the more relaxed Comfort mode.  I will say the 6-Speed and AWD system felt more responsive in Comfort mode on the MKX, Comfort mode on Nautilus is less eager at lower speeds so you have to lean on it more to convince it to go, but once you do you quickly get to that awesome torque that just keeps pulling.  Sport mode its just night and day, it's insane how differently the car feels in Sport. It's way too twitchy for me, but it turns the car into something totally different.  

• Like 1

When I'm lucky enough to steal the Nautilus away from the wife, let's say for morning coffee shop time, I always feel like hitting sport mode after the 2 shots of espresso kick in - great go together ? !!!

I read some reviewer say it was this or that in sport mode like the tranny felt rough or something. I don't notice anything other than it feels great and powerful. My wife has remarked that the Nautilus feels heavier than her ex Fpace, and I'm sure it is, but the Nautilus feels more solidly planted to me. Even in Sport mode it feels less bumpy and I'm liking that.

2 hours ago, Deafsoundguy said:

When I'm lucky enough to steal the Nautilus away from the wife, let's say for morning coffee shop time, I always feel like hitting sport mode after the 2 shots of espresso kick in - great go together ? !!!

I read some reviewer say it was this or that in sport mode like the tranny felt rough or something. I don't notice anything other than it feels great and powerful. My wife has remarked that the Nautilus feels heavier than her ex Fpace, and I'm sure it is, but the Nautilus feels more solidly planted to me. Even in Sport mode it feels less bumpy and I'm liking that.

There were early tranny issues that were fixed (mostly) with a software update.