2020 Hybird Escape noise when backing up

TDMAN

I went to pick up my 2020 Escape Hybrid last friday and when I test drove it I found that there was a humming, noise coming from the right rear wheel. The noise can be heard inside but is louder when standing outside by the wheel The noise is noticeable in electric or gas mode, when the reverse gear is selected, it is there when the brake is on or when the escape is moving in reverse. it is fine in all other gears and when driving the noise is only there when in reverse.  I did not accept the Escape and will wait if the dealer can find the cause.

Edited by TDMAN

I just talked with the dealer they went to another dealer that had a similar Titanium AWD Hybrid and put in reverse and it has the same noise.  I'm off to pick it up. I will post an update when I have a few miles on it.  Thanks for all the input.

It’s a pedestrian warning sound required by NHTSA. Toyota’s hybrids have it too, but each company has chosen their own sounds. You only hear it in reverse because it’s directed backwards towards the driver, but it’s also present in drive. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-regulations-sounds/u-s-finalizes-long-delayed-quiet-cars-rule-extending-deadline-idUSKCN1GA2GV

Edited by GEnx320

I too got my 2020 hybrid on Tuesday... and  have the noise.. BUT there was a ford made video about a noise that the hybrid would make because of no motor sound when it comes to a place where pedestrians may be.. I would assume the same for backing up.. it does of course help the low vision people to let them know there is a vehicle.. I have had 3 ford hybrids and guess it is a safety issue..makes sense.. now that I have driven it and have used the heads up display and adaptive cruise.. definitely a keeper.. and a nice ride...

Rick ..

I'm very happy with it. I went from an Explorer so it will take a little to get used to it. This is my 3rd hybrid and it is the best so far. It's quiet except for the government added noise. I only have 150 miles on it so far, but will be going on a 1000 mile trip soon and will post my feeling then.

• 2 months later...

I now have 1800 miles on my Hybrid Escape and I am very happy with it.  It's hard not to like 50+ MPG. I drive mostly in ECO mode and I love the brake hold feature,that keeps the brake on until the accelerator is depressed. I have noticed the front window are making a groaning noise when rolled up or down. Other than that I am very happy with my Escape.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Sagemax said:

I drove a Titanium Hybrid in April, and without a radio, I heard no sound ... Canadian model

It may just be a US requirement that it makes the noise when backing up and under 20mph going forward.