Mustang Mach E Timeline

5 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Interesting that the deposit is returned when an order is placed and not just applied to the vehicle price or something.

It makes perfect sense because the deposit is with Ford but you buy the vehicle from the dealer.  Trying to transfer the deposit from Ford to the dealer is probably a bookkeeping issue.

Oh that's true.  Tesla is different since they own their stores.  But at that point, what good did the deposit do for Ford?  I guess if someone put money down it means they'll actually go through with the purchase?  But it's refundable either way.

Edited by rmc523

23 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Oh that's true.  Tesla is different since they own their stores.  But at that point, what good did the deposit do for Ford?  I guess if someone put money down it means they'll actually go through with the purchase?  But it's refundable either way.

The point was to secure your order spot, build some buzz and get some free cash to use for a few months.

I actually just cancelled my pre-order yesterday, they make it very easy online to do so.  I'm impressed by how well they are handling that aspect of the car.

A big reason is that I just lost the urgency to jump onboard first since Ford is so inexperienced in this segment, the ongoing Explorer/Aviator debacle doesn't inspire any confidence in their ability to fully bake and build something this new at launch.  I'm just hoping Lincoln has something in 2022 when my lease is up on the Nautilus, which is something I would be more interested in anyway.  This also gives Ford some time to figure out how to make these things and perfect the new tech and features in them.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I actually just cancelled my pre-order yesterday, they make it very easy online to do so.  I'm impressed by how well they are handling that aspect of the car.

A big reason is that I just lost the urgency to jump onboard first since Ford is so inexperienced in this segment, the ongoing Explorer/Aviator debacle doesn't inspire any confidence in their ability to fully bake and build something this new at launch.  I'm just hoping Lincoln has something in 2022 when my lease is up on the Nautilus, which is something I would be more interested in anyway.  This also gives Ford some time to figure out how to make these things and perfect the new tech and features in them.

My thoughts are similar to yours; I'm not sure Ford can pull this off without glitches.

I have a reservation and will hold on until I'm forced to make a decision.  Hopefully Z plan pricing will be known at that point.

The other thoughts are more about how we use our two vehicles.  Our around-town car only gets 5k annually and we've had a couple of PHEV's that work very well (Volt/Fusion Energi) although a little more range would be nice.  Our trip car gets around 15k annually and is presently a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid which works well.  I don't know how a BEV fits in this picture.  For limited local use it would be expensive and subjected to parking lot dings.  For trips, the charging infrastructure it tied mainly to expressways and could inhibit our trips somewhat (time/flexibility).  We're all set up with a Level 2 charger in the garage with separately-metered off-peak charging so a PHEV or BEV at home is no issue..

I am still able to lease management cars from Ford which is the easy way to go but of course the Mach E won't be available, at least initially.  I really want to see the details on the Corsair PHEV next spring.  With AWD and a decent electric range, that could actually fit the bill nicely.

You're also correct that there are going to be a lot more choices in a few years.  As the supply infrastructure is built up, the value proposition will improve.  Batteries will improve in range and charging speed and, combined with more charging infrastructure, longer trips won't be a concern. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Assimilator said:

If your Nautilus lease isn't up until 2022 (same time my Naut lease is up), this makes sense in terms of your timing. I believe Lincoln should be coming out with two BEVs (one the mid-sized crossover Ford and Lincoln are developing in parallel and the other one probably a more expensive model derived from the Rivian platform) about that time (MY2022 or 2023, but definitely something out by CY2022), as well as the Nautilus redesign which should also have a PHEV configuration. I'll be looking at those three vehicles for when my current lease is up. You'll have options to choose from and Ford should have worked its way up the BEV learning curve from two years of MME production, sales and servicing.

Edited by Gurgeh

Lincoln does have a midsize BEV arriving for MY 2023, so it should be hitting shelves about this time in 3 years.  That timing isn't great for me since the lease ends in July and I'm sure we won't see it available to buy until closer to the end of the year so I'm looking at lots of lease extensions if I want it.  There is also the Rivian tie-in, although I'm assuming that's above my price range.  Either way, if you don't mind waiting, things are only going to get better.

The Mexico plants are getting a TON of products to fill them up, so Mach E won't be the only product they make. I suspect they will also be getting the Midsize BEVs which were originally planned for FlatRock.  But we also have the NG Transit Connect, Bronco Scout, Compact Pickup, and White-Space Crossover coming out of those two plants.  Those two Mexico plants account for all of the new nameplates and segments Ford is entering in the next few years.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some stats on the pre-orders from Ford:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/30/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-pre-order-stats-facts/

80% of pre orders opted for the long range battery (300 miles RWD; 270 AWD) - I'm not surprised by this

55% opted for AWD

30% were for the GT

25% of orders were from California

Colors:

38% were for Carbonized gray

35% for Grabber Blue

27% for Rapid Red

Those color numbers don't make sense because they add up to 100, and there were other colors like white and black available, and I doubt there are zero of each of those.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

And yet they won't state how many actual pre-orders that represents. 10,000? 1000? 100?

...well, I’d guess that they aren’t mind-bending or they would.  You can find the reason why all over the internet on boards just like this one with people crapping all over EVs without ever having lived with one.  I don’t know of a single person who bought an EV who went back to ICE.  Ford has begun the media work to change the minds they helped set-up to distrust EVs in the first place.

I own a TM3P.  I also have a reservation on the Mach.  I want to see Ford succeed, here, because despite protestations, the EV market is the future.  If Ford fans would step up and try one out, they’d find out how great living with one can be...and they’d help their company transition into the new marketplace.  It is kind of telling Ford’s own employees won’t eat their own food and points to how ingrained anti-EV sentiment is within the company.

Edited by novanglus
  • Like 1

I have a deposit in. It doesn’t really seem to do much. There’s uncertainty on price, ordering process. Ford hasn’t really said much about how this will be different than ordering any other Ford. What does the $500 get me? A place in line? It hasn’t really said, has it? Are they being allocated to certain states first? If someone put a deposit down after me, but lives in CA could they get their car before me?  I think they could have done a lot more to “sell” the benefits of placing a deposit.