Mustang Mach E Timeline

32 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Those aren't failures. There's a leak in the trans cooler that's causing a low fluid shutdown of the transmission. Fix the cooler and fill/replace the fluid and they still work. 

To be fair, it is a failure.  The vehicle is failing to operate properly due to a defect that appears to be impacting quite a few Explorers.  Let’s just call it a trans cooler failure. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 7:41 AM, Assimilator said:

I think Ford is going to have hard time with Mach E since it's close, but not nearly close enough to a Tesla.  I don't think Ford is going to do well directly copying Tesla, even if I would like them to, but they need to create EVs that Tesla doesn't have, and I think that starts with larger crossovers.  The main reason I don't buy a Tesla now is because their Model X is outdated (by Tesla standards) and is not as appealing as something like an Aviator.  That's where Ford could do something.   

This is gonna be a gigantic balancing act for Ford, it only has limited EV production in the first year so will be happy to load up on first edition and GTs which seems to be the ordering pattern. 
Ford also has 2020as  a big year of ICE model releases, there is so much going on this year it’s like a dam has burst. There’s a lot Ford can and will be doing with utilities and crossovers in the coming year, I like that because it moves all products along and before you know it, this year will be done and we’ll be talking about MY 22s

Sometimes we focus too much on the now and the future sneaks up on us, Tesla has started production in China and will start in Germany next - it will be interesting to see how the Europeans respond to  Tesla both in buying and manufacturers offering competition to Tesla. Europe is the real battlefield for EVs more so than China, America can watch on with interest as Tesla does all the EV fighting for the Detroit brands, wouldn’t that be hilarious.

Edited by jpd80

23 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

This is gonna be a gigantic balancing act for Ford, it only has limited EV production in the first year so will be happy to load up on first edition and GTs which seems to be the ordering pattern. 
Ford also has 2020as  a big year of ICE model releases, there is so much going on this year it’s like a dam has burst. There’s a lot Ford can and will be doing with utilities and crossovers in the coming year, I like that because it moves all products along and before you know it, this year will be done and we’ll be talking about MY 22s

Sometimes we focus too much on the now and the future sneaks up on us, Tesla has started production in China and will start in Germany next - it will be interesting to see how the Europeans respond to  Tesla both in buying and manufacturers offering competition to Tesla. Europe is the real battlefield for EVs more so than China, America can watch on with interest as Tesla does all the EV fighting for the Detroit brands, wouldn’t that be hilarious.

...they sold 12,000 Model 3 in the Netherlands in December.  Number 1 selling car in the Netherlands for the whole year, by 2 to 1 over a VW Polo, a drastically cheaper car.  It is kind of crazy the level of sales.  A 3ser is about 500-600/mo.  Much of that is tax related, but they were buying Teslas, not competitors.  e-trons were moving at less than 200/mo, for example.  Germany will be a much tougher nut to crack.

Edited by novanglus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Those aren't failures. There's a leak in the trans cooler that's causing a low fluid shutdown of the transmission. Fix the cooler and fill/replace the fluid and they still work. 

...for all intents and purposes, it’s a failure.  It’s fixable, but the parts were improperly machined, engineered, or assembled leading to a side of the road breakdown of the vehicle.  Ford will get it right, I’m sure, which is why the crap Tesla takes here is a bit like throwing stones in a glass house.  Even with these issues at Ford, I’ll still take one of the early Mach builds because I think it is so new, they will seriously over-engineer it to get it right (and there are a crapload fewer things to go wrong in an EV).  I look forward to delivery later this year,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, novanglus said:

...for all intents and purposes, it’s a failure.  It’s fixable, but the parts were improperly machined, engineered, or assembled leading to a side of the road breakdown of the vehicle.  Ford will get it right, I’m sure, which is why the crap Tesla takes here is a bit like throwing stones in a glass house.  Even with these issues at Ford, I’ll still take one of the early Mach builds because I think it is so new, they will seriously over-engineer it to get it right (and there are a crapload fewer things to go wrong in an EV).  I look forward to delivery later this year,

Trust me, they'll find a way to test your patience, be that sand in the gronkulator or leaking fluid from the left nacel.....

9 hours ago, novanglus said:

Even with these issues at Ford, I’ll still take one of the early Mach builds because I think it is so new, they will seriously over-engineer it to get it right (and there are a crapload fewer things to go wrong in an EV).  I look forward to delivery later this year,

Same here. Ford automatic transmissions other than the HF35 eCVT have a reputation for being troublesome. But Mach E is direct drive, no transmission at all. So that's one less thing to worry about.

Edited by rperez817

My Edge was an early production 2015 and had a lot of issues. I knew better, but my Escape wasn’t worth fixing and needed a new car. I still have issues that have never been resolved (perimeter sensors go off for no reason for example).  I’ve got a reservation in on the Mach-E and know I shouldn’t but it fits in my timeline to replace our Flex.  Because of that, and a number of other issues I’m considering leasing the Mach, depending on how the numbers work. 

On 1/1/2020 at 1:46 PM, Assimilator said:

And as a Moderator, do you think it's appropriate to pick on members that can't block your annoying abuse?  This happens way too frequently with you. 

That wasn't abuse and you deserve most every criticism I've seen.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Back on topic,

Looks like First Edition sold out in nine days, so I'm thinking that perhaps

it's only around 5,000 of the 50,000 builds planned in the first year....

Would that sound about right or is it possibly more like 10,000?

Thats good...the realism occurs when we start to get feedback when the mack e is out in the field...most importantly i want to know real world range figures...

1 hour ago, snooter said:

Thats good...the realism occurs when we start to get feedback when the mack e is out in the field...most importantly i want to know real world range figures...

By May, I would expect to hear the words "sold out" for the entire first year's allocation

If it takes nine months to get 50,000 pre orders then I think Ford will have a problem

IMO, the biggest distraction is going to be the Bronco launch in June, I expect that some

Mach E reservations will switch to Bronco.

27 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

By May, I would expect to hear the words "sold out" for the entire first year's allocation

If it takes nine months to get 50,000 pre orders then I think Ford will have a problem

IMO, the biggest distraction is going to be the Bronco launch in June, I expect that some

Mach E reservations will switch to Bronco.

If they can pull down 15k - 20k sales i would consider that a win...any new tech from ford and the others is always iffy first several years..obviously tesla's lectric auto pilot guaranteed to crash system is so emerging i would never use that crap but no one should be surprised with the outcome...most important thing is ford at least has a foot in the game...long term it remains to be seen if ford can become dominant player or if they manage to utterly muck it up...2 vinyl buckets with center console in f350stx single cab is all it would take for me to be happy (i just had to mention that)

Edited by snooter

Don't forget that Ford only plan to sell ~20,000 units in the U.S. in the first year - approximately 60% of the first year production is headed to Europe: https://electrek.co/2019/11/27/eu-regs-mean-theyll-get-majority-of-fords-50k-first-year-mach-e-production/

I'm curious about how reservations are going in Europe - or even if Ford are using the same approach for those markets.  

Edited by Harley Lover

31 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

I'm curious about how reservations are going in Europe - or even if Ford are using the same approach for those markets.  

Ford is using the same system in the EU. I know on the MME group on Facebook there are good amount of Europeans on it.