2020 Ford Explorer Transmission issue

I’m trying to understand why the dealer isn’t providing a loaner in these situations.  I have been provided a loaner by dealer service on several occasions that weren’t as serious as this transmission issue.  I guess I’ve been lucky in my case to choose a dealer that actually values the customer.  

Edited by 02MustangGT
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kyle said:

What is equally concerning is that what goes for the Explorer also goes for the Aviator......so pissing off those buyers who’ve given Lincoln a chance sucks. I wonder if the Aviator buyers are getting a loaner?

Loaners are standard for Lincoln along with free pickup and delivery.

Just now, 02MustangGT said:

I’m trying to understand why the dealer isn’t providing a loaner in these situations.  I have been provided a loaner by dealer service for several instances that weren’t as serious as this transmission issue.  I guess I’ve been lucky in my case to choose a dealer that actually values the customer.  

Yes, it’s up to the dealer.  It is disappointing that loaners aren’t provided for Ford as part of the standard factory warranty.

58 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I wouldn't think the transmission issues could be that severe.  The F150 and Mustang have been already using the same trans for awhile now.  So it must be unique to the new CD6 platform, what ever the issues are.

It is a slightly different tranny - 10r60 vs 10r80.

That's the trouble with spending luxury pricing at a Ford dealership, it doesn't always come with a luxury service experience.  I think that's a critical factor people fail to consider when Ford's pricing pushes into the luxury space.  I know service is what keeps me loyal to Lincoln. 

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

The point is that the whole process can be engineered to give the best possible outcomes, be that from a supplier or a production line where tolerances can make or break vehicles.

Says much more about manufacturers that get vehicles right the first time. 

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Someone earlier mentioned the transmission cooler. That was where my leak was coming from. Is that a known issue for the explorers?

A bad enough leak from one of the two transmission cooler lines (supply and return), that run between the tranny and tanny cooler at the radiator, will leave you stranded after the fluid level falls below the intake in the oil pan.  It's not a tranny problem and doesn't usually damage the tranny because it simply quits working as soon as fluid pressure drops.  It's a very common problem now in older vehicles in northern states due to the high corrosion rates of the magnesium chloride, used to pre-treat roads before a winter storm, eating away at the lines.  Sounds like some new Explorers may have either faulty coolent line connections or bad coolers.

Edited by CoolScoop

On 12/19/2019 at 9:28 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Hmnn- 1000 miles on the clock and based on some responses, a bit of a known problem.  What would Toyota do?   My bet is there would be some sort of quick action to do something for this customer.

My boss had a brand new '06 Camry that had transmission issues. His assessment of Toyota's attitude based on the way they treated him (and most of the people he found in his research) was "Yeah, it's broken. Get used to it."

20 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

My boss had a brand new '06 Camry that had transmission issues. His assessment of Toyota's attitude based on the way they treated him (and most of the people he found in his research) was "Yeah, it's broken. Get used to it."

18 hours ago, T hawker said:

Same attitude with my 2012 Venza, front brake issue.

Well guys, maybe I'm just drinking the "Toyota does it right Kool-Aid?  But  seems to me people tend to rave about their reliability and service.   Had a Tacoma and he took it to dealer for routine service-which for this guy was probably every 20,000 miles!  In anycase dealer calls him up and tells him ... "we can't give you your truck back-frame bad".  Truck had over 80,000 miles and they gave him 13,000. 

3 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well guys, maybe I'm just drinking the "Toyota does it right Kool-Aid?  But  seems to me people tend to rave about their reliability and service.   Had a Tacoma and he took it to dealer for routine service-which for this guy was probably every 20,000 miles!  In anycase dealer calls him up and tells him ... "we can't give you your truck back-frame bad".  Truck had over 80,000 miles and they gave him 13,000. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/2018/12/18/new-class-action-claims-more-toyota-trucks-have-dangerous-rusty-frames/

Guess you missed this decades long Toyota debacle.  Probably because they pretty much get a pass from the media for some reason... must be the koolaid!!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 11:47 PM, CoolScoop said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/2018/12/18/new-class-action-claims-more-toyota-trucks-have-dangerous-rusty-frames/

Guess you missed this decades long Toyota debacle.  Probably because they pretty much get a pass from the media for some reason... must be the koolaid!!

No, I haven't missed that debacle.  I do believe it wasn't that long ago I posted something about seeing a load of frames headed north on 495 here in MA. If it wasn't on BON it was on another site.

MY guess is if they are getting a "pass from media", could be because when they have a problem they typically step up to the plate.  I'm sure there are exceptions but as a rule they (Yota) I think have a good rep for standing in back of their products.

59 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

No, I haven't missed that debacle.  I do believe it wasn't that long ago I posted something about seeing a load of frames headed north on 495 here in MA. If it wasn't on BON it was on another site.

MY guess is if they are getting a "pass from media", could be because when they have a problem they typically step up to the plate.  I'm sure there are exceptions but as a rule they (Yota) I think have a good rep for standing in back of their products.

They have good quality overall but they have many examples where they didn’t step up to the plate.  Same for Honda.  They’re really good at “silent recalls” - quietly fixing problems unbeknownst to consumers during routine maintenance.  Not saying a Ford is better just that the Japanese aren’t bulletproof either.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 7:37 PM, 351cid said:

Geezus...could Ford screw the Explorer up anymore? 

One hell of a business case Hackett & Co. have in place: screw up one of your most important products, make quality a low priority, & jack the hell out of the price. 

They may wish they had kept selling "low profit cars" before they're done.

There is a sheriffs office in my state that has had 9 of their 2020 Explorers that, after being x-rayed, were determined to be undeliverable and destroyed.  I guess whatever issue they were x-raying for is not fixable.

My dealer has already had my car for a week and they just said the parts are back ordered so it’s going to be another week before they even get them in. Must be a pretty big issue if the parts are already back ordered. At least they are giving us a loaner.

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

My dealer has already had my car for a week and they just said the parts are back ordered so it’s going to be another week before they even get them in. Must be a pretty big issue if the parts are already back ordered. At least they are giving us a loaner.

1. It's the holidays. FCSD basically shuts down between Dec 20th and Jan 6. 

2. It's Ford. Whenever there is an issue with a new model they get caught with their pants down and there are no parts because they are supposedly all going to production.

3. They run VERY lean on parts stock in the system anyway (even if it is not a new model) because stocking parts costs them money. 

14 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

1. It's the holidays. FCSD basically shuts down between Dec 20th and Jan 6. 

2. It's Ford. Whenever there is an issue with a new model they get caught with their pants down and there are no parts because they are supposedly all going to production.

3. They run VERY lean on parts stock in the system anyway (even if it is not a new model) because stocking parts costs them money. 

it’s funny you said January 6th because that is the day the dealer told me ford would have the part lol.

• Like 1