Auto startstop

Dylan830

• 3 weeks later...

Funny...

I keep thinking that I am saving the planet by shutting down my engine at each stop..

BUT the money that will be spent on starters will be huge ! Instead of starting 1-2-3 times daily, that sucker is now engaging sometimes 20 times a day if I forget to push that little button ! If I am in the city and traffic, that number could rise as well....

OH WELL....   gotta just remember to hit that button !

8 minutes ago, Ford truck guy said:

Funny...

I keep thinking that I am saving the planet by shutting down my engine at each stop..

BUT the money that will be spent on starters will be huge ! Instead of starting 1-2-3 times daily, that sucker is now engaging sometimes 20 times a day if I forget to push that little button ! If I am in the city and traffic, that number could rise as well....

Starters are better than they were 20 years ago.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ford truck guy said:

Funny...

Failure rates of starters are VERY VERY low, probably lower now with the stop/start style starter. The engine at operating temperature with NO DTC's stored, the battery has to be almost perfect state of charge, the PCM knows EXACTLY where the crank stopped. There are quite a few other things that have to be checked to enable a stop/start event. This makes it is SUPER easy and quick to restart with almost no stress to the starter. This is NOT a "sky is falling" issue. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jdki009 said:

I'm curious if there have been any documented cases of accidents due to the slight hesitation of trying to pull out in traffic.

Not that I've heard and if the difference between having an accident and not having an accident is the fraction of a second it takes to restart the engine then you were cutting it WAY too close to begin with.   It's hard to get your foot from the brake to the gas before it restarts.

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not that I've heard and if the difference between having an accident and not having an accident is the fraction of a second it takes to restart the engine then you were cutting it WAY too close to begin with.   It's hard to get your foot from the brake to the gas before it restarts.

Agreed.  But people don't always make the best decisions.

23 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

45 years ago, I learned how to drive with both feet (I'm a left-foot braker). 2 pedals, 2 feet.

HRG

Never understood why folks do that.  There is hardly any good reason to have your foot on both at the same time and obviously you can't do that with a clutch pedal.

What it does allow you to do is rest your foot on the brake while driving normally.  I followed a teenager for several miles like that - brake lights on the whole way.  His mom was in the passenger seat so I'm sure he was a new driver.  I was going to roll down the window and tell her what he was doing but didn't have time.

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

Never understood why folks do that.  There is hardly any good reason to have your foot on both at the same time and obviously you can't do that with a clutch pedal.

What it does allow you to do is rest your foot on the brake while driving normally.  I followed a teenager for several miles like that - brake lights on the whole way.  His mom was in the passenger seat so I'm sure he was a new driver.  I was going to roll down the window and tell her what he was doing but didn't have time.

Well,,,, ever since they took the dimmer switch off the floor, I needed something to do with my left foot.

And believe it or not, I've NEVER been told my brake lights are on while I'm driving along.  Maybe some of us have better control of our extremities than others.

HRG

car5.jpg

On 1/24/2020 at 3:27 PM, HotRunrGuy said:

Well,,,, ever since they took the dimmer switch off the floor, I needed something to do with my left foot.

And believe it or not, I've NEVER been told my brake lights are on while I'm driving along.  Maybe some of us have better control of our extremities than others.

HRG

Install a dead pedal and give your foot something to do..

image.png.745d1841aa7d1382b04328d99f0038a7.png

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 1:54 PM, jdki009 said:

I'm curious if there have been any documented cases of accidents due to the slight hesitation of trying to pull out in traffic.

I have the autostop on my truck and like others have said - give it a couple weeks and you'll forget it's there. The autostop & start has been very, very thoroughly thought out.  I don't know all the criteria that triggers a restart; if you release pressure on the brake just a bit it starts immediately. As i understand it Ford maintains pressure to the transmission so immediate start and moving forward is assured. I'd swear it always uses inputs from the bumper radar sensors and the light sensors to restart, as my occasionally will start up and the only change I was aware of was the light turning green and the car in front of me starting to move, though I may have flinched a bit on the brake, though I wasn't aware that I did. Time will tell of the starter, my last F150 was twenty years old and I never replaced anything but ignition coils, oil, filters and spark plugs, I kinda think they have starters figured out. 

I went 600+ miles on my last tank - average mpg was 20.5.

Edited by meyeste
  • Like 2

They make a switch that you add to the harness that allows you to disable it or allow it to operate as Ford intended. There are some hacks where you unplug something below the steering column described on F-150 and Raptor Forums, but this is a safer way to do it.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2015-ford-f-150-autostop-eliminator?gclid=Cj0KCQiAv8PyBRDMARIsAFo4wK0WNYfwuHPrHG5_o_JikZdv9rxUHvo9XAVa1ZDDEhE96LGL9KsXEVYaAiK_EALw_wcB

On 2/22/2020 at 8:38 PM, MKX1960 said:

They make a switch that you add to the harness that allows you to disable it or allow it to operate as Ford intended. There are some hacks where you unplug something below the steering column described on F-150 and Raptor Forums, but this is a safer way to do it.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2015-ford-f-150-autostop-eliminator?gclid=Cj0KCQiAv8PyBRDMARIsAFo4wK0WNYfwuHPrHG5_o_JikZdv9rxUHvo9XAVa1ZDDEhE96LGL9KsXEVYaAiK_EALw_wcB

I’ve got the auto stop eliminator.  Super easy install, great little device.  You can still use the auto stop if you want, but if not, it just keeps the off button off until you press it on again.   Great little invention. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has been malfunctioning recently. When I am in tow/haul mode and pulling a trailer with the auto stop/start dash switch off and come to a stop the engine shuts off anyway and the only way to restart it is to put it in Park and turn the key.

This has happened the last two times I used my utility trailer. Very unsafe situation as the first time it happened I was at an intersection on a hill and when I took my foot off the brake the truck rolled into the intersection with no power. Fortunately I was able to roll through the intersection and pull off the side of the highway and restart. The second time I was trying to pull into a parking lot and the engine shut off before I could get the trailer completely off the highway. I'm not even certain I had come to a complete stop that time. The entrance to the lot was uphill and I had to restart the engine with the trailer still on the highway. Not cool.

I haven't tried driving it yet with no trailer in tow/haul mode or with the trailer attached but with auto stop/start engaged.

The first time it happened I just assumed it was an anomaly but the second time proves it was not. It has not malfunctioned in anything other than tow/haul mode but I also haven't tried any other modes besides normal. Both times it happened an error message came up on the instrument panel display which basically just said to restart the trans has to be in Park. I haven't had a reason to drive the truck since the last incident which was a couple of days ago but it looks like I'll be making an appointment with the dealer. Thankfully this happened when I was towing my loaded aluminum utility trailer. Had either of those incidents happened while pulling the enclosed 18 foot trailer with a car inside things might not have ended so well...