Tesla

mlhm5

Analyst at Canaccord Genuity is targeting $515/share for TSLA this year. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/02/the-new-biggest-bull-on-tesla-thinks-the-stock-is-going-to-515.html

"We believe the trend towards electrification will only accelerate in 2020. We expect to get a glimpse of this next week when Tesla reports its delivery numbers for Q4, which we anticipate will be above company guidance of 360,000 units for 2019, in comparison to our 368,965 expectation"

Tesla announced Q4 production & delivery numbers today. https://ir.tesla.com/news-releases/news-release-details/tesla-q4-2019-vehicle-production-deliveries

Production Deliveries Subject to lease accounting
Model S/X 17,933 19,450 14 %
Model 3 86,958 92,550 7 %
Total 104,891 112,000 8 %

Deliveries in year 2019 came to 367,500. Tesla's market share for all plug-in cars (including PHEV) in the U.S. is above 60%. Among BEV only, Tesla's market share is about 80%.

3 hours ago, Trailhiker said:

They are expanding markets worldwide, thus overall sales are expected to be up.

Sales in the US through November were down from 2018.

...of course they are down.  100% of output was NA only to take the biggest advantage of tax credit induced demand in 2018. Now Tesla is trying to balance worldwide demand to ensure they don’t fall behind in key markets.  With China going live and the Model Y preparing to ship, Tesla could hit, 130-140k, Q1- 150-160k- Q2, 200k+ Q3-4.  That’s almost double this years output.  Then, by end of 2021, CT starts to go live, with potentially another 200k+ per year and GF4 in Europe almost ready to go live, where they are likely to be moving over 1m units/yr total.

None too shabby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tesla is all about transitioning off fossil fuels and the biggest driver is battery cost and performance and IMO, you will see on Tesla's 2020 investor day the announcement of a million-mile battery. IMO, it will first go into the semi. Just imagine a semi with a million-mile battery with virtually no service costs. Of course, Tesla may be late with complete self-driving, however they will be first and then 3.5 million semi drivers are out of a job.

• Like 1

I guess this is the catch all Tesla thread?

Link

Tesla’s market cap is now double Ford’s, after being eclipsed by it eight months ago

Tesla is doing well.

The electric car maker delivered more vehicles than investors expected in the last quarter of 2019, sending its stock price to a new record. TSLA ended the first week of 2020 above $443 per share. Tesla’s market capitalization is now about $80 billion, more than double that of Ford’s, at $37 billion.

On 12/22/2019 at 8:54 PM, akirby said:

I’d be willing to bet the majority of Tesla owners only charge at home or at work.

...we do, but traveling is very easy.  There are superchargers all over and navigation is fully integrated with the system, though during high demand times you might be waiting for a spot until Tesla adds stalls and switches to V3 that doesn’t split power with the neighboring stall.  Further, EVgo is installing Tesla plugs on their chargers, because they, unlike EA, are interested in turning a profit, not simply burning through $2b the government mandated EA spend over dieselgate.  Installing Tesla cables is a small investment to get access to the largest number of EVs on the market.  I’m personally considering building a commercial development designed around high-speed chargers where we have a large parcel of commercial property off one of the highest traveled sections of the interstate in the country.  If I’m considering it, you can be assured others are, too.  The customers are wealthy and are a captive audience for the 15-20minutes they’re waiting for their car to charge.  There is a potential synergy there.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 10:16 PM, sullynd said:

The Mach-E will replace our Flex, and the Edge will go to my wife. We’ll be keeping the Flex tho, so in the off chance we both need cars that have a longer range I’ll use the Flex. Eventually the Flex will become my sons car, provided it holds up. 

...EVs are so much more enjoyable to drive you’ll find yourself putting up with the charging wait on the road to take it on long trips, at least that has been my case.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 3:56 PM, twintornados said:

If that is true, why isn't every manufacturer using Teslas' supercharger system? Please list all the manufacturers that do.

...none, but EVgo has started to add Tesla cables to their chargers.  Nothing prevents private charging providers from catering to Tesla drivers outside the network.  Since they make up such a huge % of the market, charging networks would be stupid to not follow EVgo’s lead.  Do you want customers or not, as a charging network?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novanglus said:

...none, but EVgo has started to add Tesla cables to their chargers.  Nothing prevents private charging providers from catering to Tesla drivers outside the network.  Since they make up such a huge % of the market, charging networks would be stupid to not follow EVgo’s lead.  Do you want customers or not, as a charging network?

You missed the point, if Tesla's charging system is superior as is alleged, why isn't any other manufacturer using their charging system as a standard? I don't really care if EVgo is putting Tesla cables on their chargers...that will only charge Tesla vehicles, the question is (adding emphasis for clarity purposes)

Why isn't every manufacturer using Teslas' supercharger system? Please list all the manufacturers that do.

2 hours ago, novanglus said:

...EVs are so much more enjoyable to drive you’ll find yourself putting up with the charging wait on the road to take it on long trips, at least that has been my case.

Assuming I lease (which is current plan, pending deal) I’ll need to keep mileage down. 

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

You missed the point, if Tesla's charging system is superior as is alleged, why isn't any other manufacturer using their charging system as a standard? I don't really care if EVgo is putting Tesla cables on their chargers...that will only charge Tesla vehicles, the question is (adding emphasis for clarity purposes)

Why isn't every manufacturer using Teslas' supercharger system? Please list all the manufacturers that do.

...it’s a charger, not some technological marvel.  It is simply a connector, though lighter an more compact than CCS.  If you’ve used both, you’ll see how the lighter connector is handier at home.  

The superiority of their system is availability (they simply have far far far far far more), integration within the navigation, instant feedback from the car itself to notify Tesla of broken chargers, and the lack of required exchange of payment information (you don’t need a CC reader, or other payment system).  That doesn’t come from the connector type, but by the big lead in a buildout with guaranteed customers.

Further, EVgo is adding Tesla connectors in addition to CCS connectors, not replacing them with Tesla connectors.  They’ll be able to charge both and pick up the slack for Tesla in heavily traveled corridors.

1 hour ago, novanglus said:

...it’s a charger, not some technological marvel.  It is simply a connector, though lighter an more compact than CCS.  If you’ve used both, you’ll see how the lighter connector is handier at home.  

The superiority of their system is availability (they simply have far far far far far more), integration within the navigation, instant feedback from the car itself to notify Tesla of broken chargers, and the lack of required exchange of payment information (you don’t need a CC reader, or other payment system).  That doesn’t come from the connector type, but by the big lead in a buildout with guaranteed customers.

Further, EVgo is adding Tesla connectors in addition to CCS connectors, not replacing them with Tesla connectors.  They’ll be able to charge both and pick up the slack for Tesla in heavily traveled corridors.

I'm going to try this one more time, and please try to answer the question without the "song and a dance" of how "great" the Tesla charging system is....don't feel bad though, @mlhm5 danced around the question too and to date, hasn't answered it either.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

You can be ticketed and towed for parking in an EV spot?  I would not have expected this to carry the same penalty as parking in a handicapped spot.

https://insideevs.com/news/389834/ford-mustang-blocks-tesla-supercharger-ticket-tow/

HRG

Ticketted? In California, yes. Most other places, no. 

Towed? If on private property the owner can have you towed. It’s not different than “Parking for Parents with Children.”

(isn’t the definition of a parent someone who has a child? They never say the child must be present)

Not looking forward to more unusuable parking spaces.  In a big city, they get used, but it's really annoying in smaller towns when you just see a ton of unused handicapped spaces. Would be great if the individual businesses were allowed to dictate the number of handicap spots according to their need/desire. Another example of how city laws don't work outside in rural/suburban areas.

At least in some places they put the electric parking out of the way, in the back. 

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, probowler said:

...At least in some places they put the electric parking out of the way, in the back. 

That makes sense as if you are going to be charging your car for a period of time of say, over an hour...parking the vehicle out of the way is a good idea. if you are driving an electric, you can park like everyone else anywhere in the lot, park in a handicapped slots if you have the proper credentials, or park in the back for charging time.

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

I'm going to try this one more time, and please try to answer the question without the "song and a dance" of how "great" the Tesla charging system is....don't feel bad though, @mlhm5 danced around the question too and to date, hasn't answered it either.

...edited: I’m done trying. I should read the leaves.  I’ll be dumping my Mach-E reservation and 20,000 shares of F tomorrow morning.  Honestly thank you for opening my eyes to the hopelessness of F trying to make the transition. 

I’m out.

Edited by novanglus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, novanglus said:

What makes a Tesla more enjoyable to drive than my Mustang?   Don’t mention ludicrous speed.  In everyday driving, it’s not really relevant.  I doubt its seats are more comfortable than those in my Mustang.  I doubt it will out handle my Mustang.  I also doubt it with out brake my Mustang.  Looks are subjective, but I don’t care for the looks of the Model 3 or its interior.  So, what makes a Tesla so enjoyable to drive?  

40 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

So, what makes a Tesla so enjoyable to drive?  

In the case of Model S, responsive steering with good road feel, minimal body roll, instant power delivery (no lag), excellent braking, smooth & steady ride, and exceptionally low NVH. All that plus the interior comfort and spaciousness of a full size luxury sedan.

8 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

In the case of Model S, responsive steering with good road feel, minimal body roll, instant power delivery (no lag), excellent braking, smooth & steady ride, and exceptionally low NVH. All that plus the interior comfort and spaciousness of a full size luxury sedan.

The Model S is much bigger and heavier than my Mustang.  As far as I know, they come with all-season tires. I doubt it can match my Mustang for handling.  Don’t think it can match my Mustang for braking either.  I’ve read reviews that that have criticized their steering feel.  My Mustang’s steering feel could also be better.  I’ll give you NVH, and smooth ride.  Those features don’t  make a car enjoyable to drive, at least not for me.   I drive a Mustang because it’s an engaging car to drive.  I haven’t read anything to convince me that a Tesla (any model) would be a more enjoyable driver’s car.  Oh, and all the Tesla’s cost much more than my Mustang.  Perhaps we will have to agree to disagree. 

• Thanks 1