Multiple warning signs going off in dashboard

Amyz

We’ve had a Lincoln Aviator  Reserve II for the past 2-3 months. On more than one occasion we have had spontaneous warnings go off in the dashboard. The first time this occurred, we took it into service and we were informed they could trace this past activity on their computer. They “recalibrated” the computer and returned it to us. Approximately three weeks later, we began getting multiple warnings when starting and then driving the car. These included: “drive control malfunction, service required; precollision assist not available; hill start assist not available;  drive mode selection reduced due to system fault; reverse brake assist not available, see manual; check headlamp system, see manual; service advancetrac”. 
Now, how many of you would be confident driving the vehicle with all these warnings spontaneously going off? So we took it back to service and were told they could NOT reproduce these warnings...thank goodness we took pictures this time! We forwarded all of them and they still remained baffled- had no explanation and offered no remedy after having vehicle for 4 days. 
We also requested paper work stating why we brought the vehicle in and what was done (second time for this problem). They stated they could not provide us with any paper work because it was still an open item!!? We obviously want documentation in case we have a lemon law on our hands. 
it should be noted that we had a previous post on this site of water pouring into the vehicle from a roof leak during a heavy rain which is supposedly fixed (haven’t tested yet). I also don’t like all the clanks, clicks, and noises the car makes when you open door or leave car- despite the fact we are told these are “normal”

As much as we like the comfort and drive of the Aviator, we are very concerned about the quality control and longevity of the vehicle. Perhaps we should have followed our gut and not purchased a first year model. We were hoping to have more luck with a Lincoln. 
has anyone else experienced these warnings?

Edited by Amyz

Unfortunately after our vehicle seems to be in some perpetual MIA status with the Lincoln Rep advising the dealer to search elsewhere we cancelled.  After reading posts like yours and even accounting for the fact people usually only report problems we still decided to cancel.  20 weeks and counting is just too much.  This isn't the 1970's and a first year vehicle shouldn't be having these kinds of problems.  The end user shouldn't be a beta tester for cars.   The software in this vehicle seems to have the been rushed or really not quality tested to the extent it should have.  I've had first year Benz, BMW and Audi and had zero problems in all 3 cases.   If much of this software was carried over from the Navigator then this is mind boggling.    I'll pull a 90's terms here, this should be six sigma level manufacturing level of defects.   Not even close!!!  Yes your warranty will cover this but who wants to be going back and forth to dealer countless times regardless of getting a loaner.   We should be able to produce the best quality vehicles in the world and it seems we still haven't arrived at that point.  

I don't think I've ever seen people pour into this forum with so many horror stories about a new Ford or Lincoln, this is definitely a unique phenomenon in my long history on these boards and others like it.  So I would say without a doubt, the Aviator and Explorer are a hard pass until a year or so has passed.  And the scale and scope of this problem is well outside the norm for Ford or Lincoln.  This product is going to take a long time to sort out and I don't think we are done hearing about the problems. 

I will say that this is not really new since I've long struggled getting a Lincoln order filled for any new model car.  I try to be first in line, but it NEVER works out.  You have to be super patient because you'll run into long inexplicable delays without fail.  Certain features tend to cause delays with certain builds, so you can see the cars filling the inventory, but none of them have the features you want.  It can be very frustrating, it happened to me with the 2016 MKX.  I ordered in March, it was suppose to be built in June, but was delayed each month until November and I had to extend my lease by 4 months.  It wasn't a problem, just a constant frustration that came with a vow to never order a new model year car again....and I didn't!

I was going to order a Lincoln Aviator but fate handed me a Black Label Lincoln Nautilus on a plate instead and I'm so glad!  Avoided so much aggravation.  The only first-in-line Lincoln that was a problem for me was the 2011 MKX with MyLincoln Touch which was a complete disaster that lasted the lifespan of the lease, but the rest of the car was fine.  

Edited by Assimilator

Well, apparently my VIN indicates mine was one of the first cars made because it’s a low number? Perhaps we should have waited longer for them to work out the kinks? Like I said, we really enjoy the vehicle but not at the expense of multiple serious issues and recurrent trips to the dealer (I forgot to mention the initial brake noises that required adjustment of some plate in the brake mechanism that wasn’t properly set at factory!).
Wolfepack88, I’m sorry I disillusioned you and I hope you find what you want.   

Assimulator, I hope you enjoy your Nautilus!

• 1 month later...

Lincoln was generous enough to let us replace our first "lemon" Aviator with an identical one built in 12/19. Supposedly all of the problems they experienced earlier were worked out. We received the second vehicle one week ago.  Well, our heads up display is completely defective (see my topic on this).  In addition, we developed multiple spontaneous warning signs in the dashboard today: Pre-collision assist not available, Drive control malfunction service required, Service advanceTrac,  to name a few.  Is anyone else experiencing these problems or are we just unlucky twice??!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just had  the same thing happen last night going down a hill.  Every light on the dash on total failure.  For me I did not have brakes !...pushing pedal with all my might at 40 mpg......no brakes.  Pedal hard as a rock.  I used the paddles to downshift enough to slow the car.  Frightening experience.  This car is a POS.  My problems with it are too long to list here but it is on its 2nd engine!  Afraid to drive it.

Holy cow!! That sounds worse than our experience. Believe it or not, we lemon lawed the first Aviator, only to do the same with the second one!! Have you ever heard of such a thing? We were offered a third  Aviator or all our money back... we  took the latter option.  
Can’t you lemon law yours? 
The fact is that’s it’s a beautiful vehicle and very comfortable, with all the amenities one could want. It’s a darn shame they can’t get their quality right! 
Good luck. 

On 3/5/2021 at 11:38 AM, carsandboats said:

I just had  the same thing happen last night going down a hill.  Every light on the dash on total failure.  For me I did not have brakes !...pushing pedal with all my might at 40 mpg......no brakes.  Pedal hard as a rock.  I used the paddles to downshift enough to slow the car.  Frightening experience.  This car is a POS.  My problems with it are too long to list here but it is on its 2nd engine!  Afraid to drive it.

are you aware ... (from owners manual)?

Applying the Electric Parking Brake in an Emergency
Note: Do not apply the electric parking brake when your vehicle is moving, except in an emergency. If you repeatedly use the electric parking brake to slow or stop your vehicle, you could cause damage to the brake system.
You can use the electric parking brake to slow or stop your vehicle in an emergency.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:38 PM, carsandboats said:

Trade it in?