Updating any version of SYNC 3 to 3.4 (the new blue interface)

12 hours ago, Anthony said:

I saw that and was considering it, but haven't had the time. Yet...downloading now, may try it today.

11 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Nope..  Why risk it when you can have the dealer do it for free and not F it up lol.

Dealer upgrade of Sync doesn't normally come with updated maps.  This upgrade looks to.

35 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'll do anything  as long as I can make the screen dimmer at night without having to dim the whole cluster, especially when it's in CarPlay mode

Amen!

• Like 1

Almost 2020 and you can finally self upgrade your vehicle. This is progress. 

When do we get to the point where vehicles have a built-in code readers which can tell owners when and WHAT is wrong with their vehicle? 

I imagine a fancy diagnostic screen that can pull up a cool 3d image of the engine, zoom in on a faulty sensor with part numbers and other useful info. 

15 minutes ago, probowler said:

Almost 2020 and you can finally self upgrade your vehicle. This is progress. 

When do we get to the point where vehicles have a built-in code readers which can tell owners when and WHAT is wrong with their vehicle? 

Ford had code readers and self service updates since at least 2011 if not earlier.  That’s 9 years ago.

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

Key word: Was. 

Discontinuing that was beyond stupid. How many resources could it possibly have taken. 

Ford isn't exactly a "high tech" company when it comes to their computer services. They still *require* I.E. to access gobs of FMCDEALER, and PTS (where all the tech info, SYNC programming, etc) crashes for hours nearly every Monday. 

21 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Nope..  Why risk it when you can have the dealer do it for free and not F it up lol.

Because 3.4 is not available for most vehicles via Ford (only 2020 vehicles, not anything older). Hence why people are circumventing Ford to get the latest version themselves (which has the new dark blue interface seen on the Explorer, etc).

I tweeted Mike Levine to see if 3.4 will be available for older than 2020 vehicles at some point. 

A couple guys already did it to their ‘19 Rangers and everything works fine, but the bottom climate menu icon does not display on 3.4. So they reverted. 

Edited by Anthony

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Yes.  It was called a vehicle health report.

My Ranger sends me a vehicle health report every month. Plus it does let me know by email and in the app if there is an issue and what the general problem is. 

I assume this is only for modem equipped vehicles now though whereas the old version worked through your phone. 

edit: this obviously does not change the fact that Ford removed this feature from older vehicles after the time of purchase (cough my old Focus cough)

7EBAF4DB-830F-4825-9219-15B851542FB2.thumb.jpeg.d9b32441c4ce0088dc50aa1361b88922.jpeg

9C8DC45A-59ED-471D-AD80-16D355C2BD3C.thumb.png.8adb6df134cc7dcf5082800ec91e9c0f.png

Edited by Anthony

On 12/27/2019 at 6:47 PM, Anthony said:

A couple guys already did it to their ‘19 Rangers and everything works fine, but the bottom climate menu icon does not display on 3.4. So they reverted. 

I just updated mine and the climate menu icon shows up just fine.  Haven't used it much, but so far I think I like the update.  Seems a bit more responsive.

Update.thumb.jpg.6007c7526f84ad7494a807f792eb2728.jpg

Climate.thumb.jpg.ada83f7ab15e0b6e63967f1635599c64.jpg

On 12/27/2019 at 8:05 PM, Anthony said:

My Ranger sends me a vehicle health report every month. Plus it does let me know by email and in the app if there is an issue and what the general problem is. 

I assume this is only for modem equipped vehicles now though whereas the old version worked through your phone. 

edit: this obviously does not change the fact that Ford removed this feature from older vehicles after the time of purchase (cough my old Focus cough)

7EBAF4DB-830F-4825-9219-15B851542FB2.thumb.jpeg.d9b32441c4ce0088dc50aa1361b88922.jpeg

9C8DC45A-59ED-471D-AD80-16D355C2BD3C.thumb.png.8adb6df134cc7dcf5082800ec91e9c0f.png

I run a Vehicle Health Report monthly via the phone and I do not have a modem ('17 Fusion).  It's a hassle, but I do it.  I remember reading a while back that it was discontinued for non-Sync3 vehicles, but not those with Sync3.

2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

I just updated mine and the climate menu icon shows up just fine.  Haven't used it much, but so far I think I like the update.  Seems a bit more responsive.

Update.thumb.jpg.6007c7526f84ad7494a807f792eb2728.jpg

Climate.thumb.jpg.ada83f7ab15e0b6e63967f1635599c64.jpg

Which instructions did you follow?  The ones from the site I linked or something else?

I'm wondering if the update I linked is specifically for the F-Series or something and why Rangers are having issues.

Looks good!

14 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Which instructions did you follow?  The ones from the site I linked or something else?

I'm wondering if the update I linked is specifically for the F-Series or something and why Rangers are having issues.

Looks good!

Directly from the site you linked.  It's possible it's for F-Series only, but I would think it would be the same across all models.  It's possible there is an issue with it reading the fact that the vehicle has EATC on the Ranger, so it's not showing up.

52 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

But is the screen dimmer than the old version?

It's really hard to tell since it isn't dark.  I'll go out and check tonight, but it'll probably be over a week before I actually drive it to know for sure.  It does have a brightness setting that I don't remember it having before, but it didn't seem to change much when I adjusted it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

It's really hard to tell since it isn't dark.  I'll go out and check tonight, but it'll probably be over a week before I actually drive it to know for sure.  It does have a brightness setting that I don't remember it having before, but it didn't seem to change much when I adjusted it.

Both my Flex and Fusion have a brightness setting and neither seems to make a beans worth of a difference. 

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Both my Flex and Fusion have a brightness setting and neither seems to make a beans worth of a difference. 

I usually have mine turned pretty dim because the gauge cluster in the Super Duty is so huge and bright, but it would be nice to be able to dim the Sync screen even further.  I'll give it a shot  tonight.

On 12/29/2019 at 2:57 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

But is the screen dimmer than the old version?

OK, so I did give it a bit of a test (just sitting in the garage with all the lights off, so not a thorough test).  it actually seems maybe a tad brighter on the home screen just due to the color, but in normal use is a tad dimmer.  The CarPlay screen didn't seem to be any different.  So, unfortunately, probably not going to really make much difference.

I played with the brightness setting and all it seems to change is how quickly it becomes brighter when increasing the dash brightness.  For instance, in the medium setting, it dims all the way with the dash brightness.  Every drop in brightness drop for the dash drops the Sync brightness.  At the lowest setting, the Sync screen will be at its dimmest about 3-4 clicks up from the lowest spot on the dash brightness.  So, the last 3-4 drops in brightness for the dash changes nothing on the Sync screen.  Likewise, when coming up from the dimmest dash brightness, it doesn't start to brighten Sync until you are 3-4 clicks up.

That probably doesn't make any sense, but it's hard to explain in text.

54 minutes ago, Wrexhavik said:

What does this update do other than turn your screen blue?

Seems slightly more responsive, and I've heard it allows you to mix standard radio and Sirius stations together on your presets.  I don't use Sirius so can't verify that.  I'm sure there are other updates, I'm just not sure what they are.