My 2020 Escape SE First Impression

22 hours ago, SteelyD said:

I bought a 2019 Escape. 2.5 engine just to avoid the 3 cyl ECOTURD. 

Well, I hate to tell you that both the 2.5 and 1.5 in the prior Escape are no gems, either.  But, I agree that a 3-cylinder "turd" was an inappropriate move by Ford.  Ford has a LOT of things to fix/upgrade for the '21, including a price reduction.  Can't wait to see the sales figs on it, which won't be obvious until the first quarter numbers are released in early April (4th Q will include a LOT of '19s).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

I suspect that the USA Escape dash design is somewhat compromised to allow for Baby Bronco to share hard points.  Hence the ridiculous separation between the HVAC controls and console.  

The USA Escape dash design is probably identical to the latest Focus dash design.  Which is why we get cheap.  Baby Bronco will more likely have a cheapened version of the Bronco dash.

1 hour ago, CLTEcoBoost said:

Well, I hate to tell you that both the 2.5 and 1.5 in the prior Escape are no gems, either.  But, I agree that a 3-cylinder "turd" was an inappropriate move by Ford.  Ford has a LOT of things to fix/upgrade for the '21, including a price reduction.  Can't wait to see the sales figs on it, which won't be obvious until the first quarter numbers are released in early April (4th Q will include a LOT of '19s).

I have a different assessment of the 2.5 that you for sure. I traded in a 2010 Fusion with the 2.5 on the Escape. Never gave me any problems. 221K on the 2.5 GEM. My 19 Escape runs great.

14 hours ago, Assimilator said:

1207517763_ScreenShot2019-12-29at5_19_24PM.thumb.png.89147d3e7844697dbe8742b09f22a38d.png1201793594_ScreenShot2019-12-29at5_19_14PM.thumb.png.327ea4d1462517ad637931d02a6d904f.png

They also didn't care for Corsair, although you wouldn't know why from the description. 

Thanks for sharing, and wow. That's a rave review as written, and then they hit it with a slam review number. Well, that's CR for you. I still remember the year they gave the Toyota Corolla a top rating and gave a poor review to the Geo Prism, even though they were the same car coming off the same production line.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

CR's view of the 1.5L is in line with others however.

The Chinese Escape was also tailored locally for the market.  Ford in China is now operating more like a subsidiary (think PAG) with less "One Ford" oversight from Dearborn.  So a Chinese Ford is going to look increasingly unfamiliar moving forward.  

The Territory is entirely Chinese grown with a Ford badge.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, probowler said:

If you want to settle for one of the worst crossovers available, that's your choice, but unless it's cheaper than everything else, why would you do that to yourself?

I wouldn't call it the worse, but it could have been so much more. If Fords goal is to have the highest ATPs in the industry you have to give customers a reason to spend more for your product. It's a decent vehicle, but one that will need incentives and heavily subsidized leases to move off the lot once it ages a little just like the old Escape. If you want people to pay higher prices then you really need to stand out. Maybe they are hoping the baby Bronco can bring the bacon home and offer the Escape as a more of a commodity product. I guess we'll have to wait and see how that product stands out in the market.

• Like 2

Escape looks weak by itself, but Ford has more crossovers coming in this size including the compact pickup and the companion utility (whatever that looks like).  I don't think Ford intended to sell as many Escapes as it once did because they seem to be hurting on margins and want richer customers.  Their solution is not to make Escape more upscale but to make a different series of more exciting products.  Escape to me seems like something designed to appeal to the car customer and previous Escape customer while designing an efficient package best suited for economy and a Hybrid.  I actually think the best Escape to buy is the Hybrid AWD and I hope the adoption rate on that is pretty high.

Ford has an extremely weak Utility range right now (the only company with declining utility sales), it's going to take a few years to fill it out.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Escape looks weak by itself, but Ford has more crossovers coming in this size including the compact pickup and the companion utility (whatever that looks like).  I don't think Ford intended to sell as many Escapes as it once did because they seem to be hurting on margins and want richer customers.  Their solution is not to make Escape more upscale but to make a different series of more exciting products.  Escape to me seems like something designed to appeal to the car customer and previous Escape customer while designing an efficient package best suited for economy and a Hybrid.  I actually think the best Escape to buy is the Hybrid AWD and I hope the adoption rate on that is pretty high.

Ford has an extremely weak Utility range right now (the only company with declining utility sales), it's going to take a few years to fill it out.  

If so it’s bad news for ford. Coming from a 2013 fusion, the drop off in interior quality is very apparent in the new escape. Although I guess they are thinking escape buyers would be coming from a focus in which it would probably be the same quality.

• Like 1

Just now, T-dubz said:

If so it’s bad news for ford. Coming from a 2013 fusion, the drop off in interior quality is very apparent in the new escape. Although I guess they are thinking escape buyers would be coming from a focus in which it would probably be the same quality.

I disagree. 2015-18 Focus interior was very nice. One notch below my 2018 Fusion and on par with my Flex (though fit and finish is nicer on the Flex) 

17 hours ago, mackinaw said:

I think I'll make my own mind up on the new Escape rather than listen to the endless negative blather I read in this thread.  

I think people are just trying to encourage you to shop other vehicles in this class that offer more for less money. Some are being a bit over the top with negativity, but they have some good points.

I got a new Ranger this year and to be honest it's pretty mid-pack in it's class, but it does offer the best power-train in a midsized truck right now. It also offers some really neat safety features that other midsized trucks do not offer. I think one could make the argument that the Colorado is a more refined product, but other then the cheap plastics used in the interior the Ranger is pretty decent. It has received some negative press, but when you compare it against other body on frame midsize pickups it's pretty good.

The difference is there are tons of compact CUVs to choose from and it's a very competitive market. People are just saying check out other products. Heck I'd even tell you to check out a more basic Edge if you want to stay with Ford. It just seems to be a much better built product for the money. The new Escape is priced at the top of it's class, but is built like it should be the cheapest to buy. If the pricing reflected the value in the product I think there would be a lot less complaints.

• Like 1

I don't think it's reasonable to write off the Escape when there are so many configurations and options.  The SE might not be great, but the Titanium is a very different car.  What is a little different this time is that the 2020 Escape doesn't elevate the segment like it did when the last one debuted in 2013, it was quite a striking departure for a pretty drab appliance segment.  The 2020 Escape definitely is not that sort of standout today, although it still stands out for its available engines.    

Edited by Assimilator

41 minutes ago, probowler said:

The fact that you're looking for an Escape says enough, Good luck ?

Why would I disregard a vehicle that I haven't even sat in, much less driven?  Just because of of some comments I read on an internet forum?  (mostly made by people who haven't sat in the vehicle or driven it).

1 minute ago, Assimilator said:

I don't think it's reasonable to write off the Escape when there are so many configurations and options.  The SE might not be great, but the Titanium is a very different car.  

We'll look at both the SEL and Titanium.  Only prerequisites are that it's AWD and the 2.0L. 

8 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

I think people are just trying to encourage you to shop other vehicles in this class that offer more for less money. Some are being a bit over the top with negativity, but they have some good points......

We're in no hurry to buy a new vehicle, that will come later this spring/summer.  Just doing due diligence now.  I see no reason to disregard any vehicle until I sit in it and drive it.  And I don't listen to internet comments made by people who are only looking at pictures they see online. 

8 hours ago, CLTEcoBoost said:

The USA Escape dash design is probably identical to the latest Focus dash design.  Which is why we get cheap.  Baby Bronco will more likely have a cheapened version of the Bronco dash.

Doubtful.  That would mean the dash in the Baby Bronco would be unique and not shared with any Ford vehicle.  It’s sharing hard points and parts with the Escape (same platform and dimensions).  Look for area around the lower center stack in the Escape to be identical in the Baby Bronco.  Design of the IP could be different, but there will still be similarities due to cost constraints.  The goal is to make a profit.