Ranger: Detroit Free Press "Truck of the Year"

On 1/7/2020 at 3:29 AM, jpd80 said:

Correct.

A clear path into the engine bay for V6 raised into place was never a consideration,

all development work was for I-4 and I-5 engines. The 2.3 Ecoboost was so tight that

the engineers had to create an access hole in the inner guard to get to the oil filter.

T6 Gen 2 corrects all short comings with I-4 and V engines and then some...

2012-Ford-Ranger-Review-14.jpg

Count me among those too far in the back I guess. I thought I've seen that the frame is essentially unchanged, so I don't understand how a larger engine will fit in the upcoming models. Is the body that different?

The pic also leads to a question I've been too lazy to chase down - why keep using a noisy belt-driven fan. Are electric fans not up to the task of providing adequate cooling when loads are high? Given all the other things done to eek out better fuel mileage numbers, it seems like parasitic loss would drive a change here too.

19 minutes ago, mybkvu said:

Count me among those too far in the back I guess. I thought I've seen that the frame is essentially unchanged, so I don't understand how a larger engine will fit in the upcoming models. Is the body that different?

It was never the frame, it was the body.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mybkvu said:

The pic also leads to a question I've been too lazy to chase down - why keep using a noisy belt-driven fan. Are electric fans not up to the task of providing adequate cooling when loads are high? Given all the other things done to eek out better fuel mileage numbers, it seems like parasitic loss would drive a change here too.

If anything it might have been done to cutdown on engineering effort. In the next gen they might move to that.

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

It may be that belt driven provides better cooling for larger engines and radiators.

Large ag diesels are going electric. Specifically, because they can reverse them and blow chaff out of the grilles.

Edited by MY93SHO

1 hour ago, mybkvu said:

why keep using a noisy belt-driven fan. Are electric fans not up to the task of providing adequate cooling when loads are high? Given all the other things done to eek out better fuel mileage numbers, it seems like parasitic loss would drive a change here too.

Good points mybkvu sir. The main reasons Ford's using belt driven cooling fan in 2019-2020 U.S. Ranger are 1.) That's what global T6 Ranger was designed to use. 2.) Lower cost compared to electric.

The issue was never about V engines not fitting in the frame, the issue was marriage to the body and even then 

it was simply because that the engine bay and crash protection for V engines had not been engineered.

If you're travelling to remote areas like I do, it's easy to carry tools and spare parts like a fan belt.

If an electric fan dies in the middle of nowhere, it's a lot harder to fix that and get yourself out of trouble.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, akirby said:

It may be that belt driven provides better cooling for larger engines and radiators.

Except that the F-Series uses electric fans. I'm pretty sure their engines and radiators are bigger than the Ranger's...

My guess is that it's cheaper, may be more robust, and is just cheaper. Also, it probably costs less.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The issue was never about V engines not fitting in the frame, the issue was marriage to the body and even then 

it was simply because that the engine bay and crash protection for V engines had not been engineered.

If you're travelling to remote areas like I do, it's easy to carry tools and spare parts like a fan belt.

If an electric fan dies in the middle of nowhere, it's a lot harder to fix that and get yourself out of trouble.

The lack of a fan shouldn't be an issue, as long as your moving at a decent speed. if your idling or stuck in traffic, that when you have issues. Then again if its over 100F out, that could be a problem, but that is pretty rare around my parts of the world.