KIA and Lincoln not cross shopped.......

CKNSLS

From a letter on another car forum-

I was choosing between a Telluride and Avaitor, and just ordered the Kia. Fully loaded, it was $21k less than equivalent Aviator. And the issues the Aviator has had made me leery. And closest dealership is 30-40 minutes away.

Very Interesting.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

From a letter on another car forum-

I was choosing between a Telluride and Avaitor, and just ordered the Kia. Fully loaded, it was $21k less than equivalent Aviator. And the issues the Aviator has had made me leery. And closest dealership is 30-40 minutes away.

Very Interesting.

Well, of course they bought the Kia...they cannot even spell Aviator....

• Haha 1

I could have corrected it-but thought proper not perform any editing of the original. 

Thank you for you thoughtful reply....

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Well, of course they bought the Kia...they cannot even spell Aviator....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Honestly, anyone who cross shops a Kia and Lincoln is nuts. Kia is not a luxury brand, they have never claimed to be. Lincoln is a luxury brand, even if it doesn't carry the cache it once did. 

Completely agree.  Anytime I read these types of comments, I just hit the back button and go back to the previous page.

I disagree. With many if not most Lincoln stores being collocated with Ford stores there isn’t much of a luxury experience tied to Lincoln.  Besides previous mismanagement Lincoln suffers from feature creep in mainstream vehicles. Is it ok to cross-shop Ford and Lincoln? When I got my Edge I could have gotten a similarly equipped MkC or an entry level MkX for the same cost.  I would be surprised if someone considering an upper trim Explorer doesn’t consider an Aviator or vice versa. KIA isn’t the downmarket brand it once was.  The Telluride and it’s cousin Palisade  are worthy competitors. 

What “luxury” does Lincoln get you other than 128 way power seats?

Edited by sullynd
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Honestly, anyone who cross shops a Kia and Lincoln is nuts. Kia is not a luxury brand, they have never claimed to be. Lincoln is a luxury brand, even if it doesn't carry the cache it once did. 

I disagree.  If you’re just looking at appearance and material quality then the Kia is competitive.  It even has a longer warranty than Lincoln.

Lincoln still has more luxury features and some perks like free pickup/delivery and Aviator has better power trains but some buyers don’t care about that.

13 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The feeling of a lighter bank account after purchasing one new. And chimes recorded by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

The "lighter bank account" feeling is not exclusive to Lincoln (**cough-cough** Tesla) and if Kia wants some chimes from an orchestra...I suggest the following overture..

17 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I love the person who claims they were cross shopping a much more expensive vehicle and chose the Kia not because they couldn't afford the Aviator, but because reasons.

Well...I did the same thing. Two years ago I bought my wife a new 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe -XL Limited. We didn't look at any Ford products-but we could well afford ANY VEHICLE in it''s class. We looked real close at the Honda Pilot/Toyota Highlander. Bought the Hyundai and saved $5,000.00.  There is nothing wrong with saving money even if you have a little money.  After all-with some of us being prudent is what put ourselves in this position in the first place.

A loaded Telluride is going to be right around 50Large-still not a small amount of change.

Just thought I would put your comment in to some perspective.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Well...I did the same thing. Two years ago I bought my wife a new 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe -XL Limited. We didn't look at any Ford products-but we could well afford ANY VEHICLE in it''s class. We looked real close at the Honda Pilot/Toyota Highlander. Bought the Hyundai and saved $5,000.00.  There is nothing wrong with saving money even if you have a little money.  After all-with some of us being prudent is what put ourselves in this position in the first place.

A loaded Telluride is going to be right around 50Large-still not a small amount of change.

That's a far more typical cross-shopping experience however.  There is a Nissan Sentra-sized price gap between a Kia and a Lincoln.  

21 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

That's a far more typical cross-shopping experience however.  There is a Nissan Sentra-sized price gap between a Kia and a Lincoln.  

Not everybody shops on price, though.  No reason why anyone looking for a 3 row SUV over $40K wouldn't cross shop the Kia or the Hyundai with other luxury models.

38 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Trying to figure out just what kind of "perspective" you are attempting to put in......you didn't shop a Ford and we are talking about Ford (and Lincoln) products on a Ford forum. Is the perspective that you are a <insert favorite dismissive term here> and couldn't bear the thought of driving a domestic and just had to have vehicle from a foreign company?

19 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Trying to figure out just what kind of "perspective" you are attempting to put in......you didn't shop a Ford and we are talking about Ford (and Lincoln) products on a Ford forum. Is the perspective that you are a <insert favorite dismissive term here> and couldn't bear the thought of driving a domestic and just had to have vehicle from a foreign company?

Dude I spent spent 50 Large on a Silverado pickup a year and a half ago. I did cross shop the F150-but at the time Ford felt the F-150 was the better part of 10 grand more than the Silverado (based on rebates Chevrolet was offering and the lack thereof on the F150). So-I bought a fully loaded Silverado Crew cab with 4 WD it Stickered at $52,000.00.

BTW-the original topic was put under the "competition forum" where it is proper

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CKNSLS said:

Dude I spent spent 50 Large on a Silverado pickup a year and a half ago. I did cross shop the F150-but at the time Ford felt the F-150 was the better part of 10 grand more than the Silverado (based on rebates Chevrolet was offering and the lack thereof on the F150). So-I bought a fully loaded Silverado Crew cab with 4 WD it Stickered at $52,000.00.

.....and??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

Well...I did the same thing. Two years ago I bought my wife a new 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe -XL Limited.

Good choice CKNSLS sir, hope you and your wife are enjoying the Santa Fe XL. That model was great product, and set a new benchmark for quality and value in its segment.

Santa Fe XL's successor, the Palisade (along with its sibling Kia Telluride) now sets the bar even higher.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, twintornados said:

.....and??

He bought a Domestic pickup to counter your point that he didn't want to buy a domestic SUV.  His original point was that he did cross shop Kia with other more expensive models even if it wasn't Ford.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

He bought a Domestic pickup to counter your point that he didn't want to buy a domestic SUV.  His original point was that he did cross shop Kia with other more expensive models even if it wasn't Ford.

Like there was ever a choice?? Apples and oranges....Honda doesn't make a full size truck and Toyotas full size is an also-ran and woefully outdated. But then again, we aren't talking full size trucks...we are talking about SUV's and the apparent aversion by some to "buy domestic".

3 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Like there was ever a choice?? Apples and oranges....Honda doesn't make a full size truck and Toyotas full size is an also-ran and woefully outdated. But then again, we aren't talking full size trucks...we are talking about SUV's and the apparent aversion by some to "buy domestic".

C3F27D31-5AB2-489B-A47C-0F89FDE98EDB.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sullynd said:

I disagree. With many if not most Lincoln stores being collocated with Ford stores there isn’t much of a luxury experience tied to Lincoln.

I think this will slowly be changing. The co-located Ford/Lincoln dealership near me is building a stand alone Lincoln store, which should improve the dealership experience. I suspect this will be a continuing trend since Lincoln finally has enough desirable products to sustain stand alone stores, not to mention the upcoming new product. 

• Like 1