KIA and Lincoln not cross shopped.......

CKNSLS

15 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

For those who don't need BOF-it's going to steal some Explorer sales-so lets' find SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT!

OK-the front end........

you know, not everyone wears blue colored glasses here. There's plenty of us (myself included) who have been pretty vocal about not liking the new Escape, and a couple who don't care for the new Explorer. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

Lincoln and Ford need to improve build and reliability a lot.

Yes sir. 1st model year (2020) Explorer and Aviator are going to have much worse than average reliability ratings. Probably worst in their classes. But things can only get better for 2021 and beyond. 

• Haha 1

It has just been reported (on another car site) that for 2021 the KIA Telluride could potentially add an even a higher trim level than what is available now-and that could mean it would be topping $50,000.00

-

Greater customization greets buyers in this spec; apparently, customers will be able to opt for two-tone paint jobs (well, a roof of a different color), snazzier interior treatments, plus an off-road package to butch up the already boxy crossover’s looks. We’re talking things like a pedestrian-scattering brush guard, skid plates, and upgraded rubber, among other possible additions.

So, that’s that. If true, the new addition to the Telluride line would push its trim ladder up another $10,000. A base LX model starts at $33,060 after destination, with the uplevel SX with Prestige Package setting you back more than $45k. This mythical Telluride AutoSpies speaks of would easily top the $50k barrier.

33 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

It has just been reported (on another car site) that for 2021 the KIA Telluride could potentially add an even a higher trim level than what is available now-and that could mean it would be topping $50,000.00

-

Greater customization greets buyers in this spec; apparently, customers will be able to opt for two-tone paint jobs (well, a roof of a different color), snazzier interior treatments, plus an off-road package to butch up the already boxy crossover’s looks. We’re talking things like a pedestrian-scattering brush guard, skid plates, and upgraded rubber, among other possible additions.

So, that’s that. If true, the new addition to the Telluride line would push its trim ladder up another $10,000. A base LX model starts at $33,060 after destination, with the uplevel SX with Prestige Package setting you back more than $45k. This mythical Telluride AutoSpies speaks of would easily top the $50k barrier.

50k for a rather pedestrian powertrain with less than 300hp. Yeah I am sure this will sell well. I'll take a Explorer ST, Platinum, or Aviator at that price.  I think Kia is letting this well priced product media attention go to it's head. It looks way better than it's priced. However, there is a reason why they are making the Genesis brand. Nobody is going to pay anything remotely that high for a Kia. It could be dipped in gold and nobody is going to buy it. 

Edited by jcartwright99
grammar

38 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

50k for a rather pedestrian powertrain with less than 300hp. Yeah I am sure this will sell well. I'll take a Explorer ST, Platinum, or Aviator at that price.  I think Kia is letting this well priced product media attention go to it's head. It looks way better than it's priced. However, there is a reason why they are making the Genesis brand. Nobody is going to pay anything remotely that high for a Kia. It could be dipped in gold and nobody is going to buy it. 

Or we’ve overestimated the importance of the drivetrain to the average suv buyer and underestimated the importance of appearances and material quality.  They’re essentially offering a previous gen Explorer platform with an Aviator interior at current Explorer prices.  I think they’ve intentionally underpriced it to gain market share but it seems to be working.

36 minutes ago, akirby said:

Or we’ve overestimated the importance of the drivetrain to the average suv buyer and underestimated the importance of appearances and material quality.  They’re essentially offering a previous gen Explorer platform with an Aviator interior at current Explorer prices.  I think they’ve intentionally underpriced it to gain market share but it seems to be working.

Perhaps? I mean, most on here are not the average buyer. I know I’m an outlier, that is for sure. 

What defines success for Kia with the Telluride? Sales? Transaction price? Awards? Media Hype?

They sold 56k of these in 2019. I believe transaction prices were lower than Explorer? They sure got the awards and hype down though.

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Perhaps? I mean, most on here are not the average buyer. I know I’m an outlier, that is for sure. 

What defines success for Kia with the Telluride? Sales? Transaction price? Awards? Media Hype?

They sold 56k of these in 2019. I believe transaction prices were lower than Explorer? They sure got the awards and hype down though.

It was introduced in the Spring of 2019. Yes-transaction prices are lower than the Explorer-because the MSRPs are lower. What they are doing (by a quick check around the web) is selling all but the base modell at full MSRP There is a $500.00 rebate on the base model.  Apparently-even though it's very well equipped for $32,000.00 the take rate on the base Telluride is lower than the "upper" models. At least that is what it looks like.  I do know that for the top model there was a 30 day or so wait. I don't know if that is still the case.

One could interpret this is that power train is less important than value/price....to certain buyers. Will a "top tier" model that stickers around $50,000.00 (but still thousands less than others) also be a "value preposition?

Edited by CKNSLS

On 1/2/2020 at 11:25 AM, twintornados said:

Trying to figure out just what kind of "perspective" you are attempting to put in......you didn't shop a Ford and we are talking about Ford (and Lincoln) products on a Ford forum. Is the perspective that you are a <insert favorite dismissive term here> and couldn't bear the thought of driving a domestic and just had to have vehicle from a foreign company?

Well, this is the competing product forum..so theres that....with the issues at chiraq id say avoiding that ford built crap was a smart choice.....