40 Mach-E Orders in One Night

As I noted, if I don’t my Mach-E, I’ll probably get a Bronco. Now, I’ve only bought Fords, my last two through the same sales guy, and I’ll deal with him on the Mach-E/Bronco as well, but how many of those 40/100 reservations at that dealership are new to them?  If, for example only half end up buying a Mach-E, but 25% of the balance end up in a different Ford, how is that not a win for the dealer?

16 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

A better number would be the total number of reservations Ford has received.

Yes sir. That's the piece of information a lot of folks want to know. :) Ford hasn't yet revealed that number. Maybe it's waiting until Mustang Mach-E gets closer to production? Anyway, the number of Mustang Mach E reservations will be greater than the number of units sold in the first year. Maybe much greater. Reservations are basically "hand raisers".

For example, last year when the 2019 U.S. Ranger started production, Ford NA president Kumar Galhotra told Automotive News "about 300,000 consumers already have indicated plans to purchase the vehicle". That 300,000 number represents the "hand raisers". https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-adding-overtime-ranger-production-first-month-sales-hit-1200

2019 Ranger had a pre-order program. Officially, Ford called it a "Retail Order Verification Program". Unlike the Mustang Mach-E Reservation Process, it involved an actual vehicle order. I pre-ordered my 2019 Ranger at AutoNation Ford Fort Worth in late 2018 and took delivery of the truck in mid 2019. The number of 2019 Ranger pre-orders was a lot less than 300,000.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

You're missing the point.  These are potentially new sales that wouldn't have happened without the Mach-E.  You can't spin this as something negative.  It's not.

I'm not spinning it as negative.  It's just a very specific example of reservations being placed but not the full picture from Ford.  In fact it's so specific of an example it really tells us nothing.  Frankly if the numbers were worth touting, Ford would have released them with their Mache facts press release linked above.  But even the press release is limited only to the "first edition".  Weren't all models available to reserve?

3 minutes ago, sullynd said:

As I noted, if I don’t my Mach-E, I’ll probably get a Bronco. Now, I’ve only bought Fords, my last two through the same sales guy, and I’ll deal with him on the Mach-E/Bronco as well, but how many of those 40/100 reservations at that dealership are new to them?  If, for example only half end up buying a Mach-E, but 25% of the balance end up in a different Ford, how is that not a win for the dealer?

Any sale is a win for the dealer.

2 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. That's the piece of information a lot of folks want to know. :) Ford hasn't yet revealed that number. Maybe it's waiting until Mustang Mach-E gets closer to production? Anyway, the number of Mustang Mach E reservations will be greater than the number of units sold in the first year. Maybe much greater. Reservations are basically "hand raisers".

For example, last year when the 2019 U.S. Ranger started production, Ford NA president Kumar Galhotra told Automotive News "about 300,000 consumers already have indicated plans to purchase the vehicle". That 300,000 number represents the "hand raisers". https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-adding-overtime-ranger-production-first-month-sales-hit-1200

2019 Ranger had a pre-order program. Officially, Ford called it a "Retail Order Verification Program". Unlike the Mustang Mach-E Reservation Process, it involved an actual vehicle order. I pre-ordered my 2019 Ranger at AutoNation Ford Fort Worth in late 2018 and took delivery of the truck in mid 2019. The number of 2019 Ranger pre-orders was a lot less than 300,000.

300K?  Bwhahahahahaha.

And then how many realized they could get an F-150 with similar mileage, a heated steering wheel, and more space for the same price after incentives?  

That just proves my point on making a big stink about reservations.  They are meaningless.  

7 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

I'm not spinning it as negative.  It's just a very specific example of reservations being placed but not the full picture from Ford.  In fact it's so specific of an example it really tells us nothing.  Frankly if the numbers were worth touting, Ford would have released them with their Mache facts press release linked above.  But even the press release is limited only to the "first edition".  Weren't all models available to reserve?

You don't think 40 people putting down $100 for a reservation at one of 3000 dealers for a new vehicle that they've never seen, driven or touched and won't for almost a year is something?

They haven't announced the total because they haven't reached 50K and I don't think they will.  Nor do they have to.   All that is important right now is that there is interest being shown by potential buyers.  That's it.  Nothing more.  

11 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Anyway, the number of Mustang Mach E reservations will be greater than the number of units sold in the first year. Maybe much greater. Reservations are basically "hand raisers".

This isn't Tesla where people have blind faith in Elon and fawn over anything he says or creates.   This is a real business.  They will sell 50K mach-Es the first year.  They may or may not get 50K "hand-raisers" but there will be a lot more sales in person from test drives than will do a blind internet reservation.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

You don't think 40 people putting down $100 for a reservation at one of 3000 dealers for a new vehicle that they've never seen, driven or touched and won't for almost a year is something?

They haven't announced the total because they haven't reached 50K and I don't think they will.  Nor do they have to.   All that is important right now is that there is interest being shown by potential buyers.  That's it.  Nothing more.  

I'm sorry (well not really) but I just don't.  Not when there is a large amount of context being ignored (mainly how many total reservations Ford has received).

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

This isn't Tesla where people have blind faith in Elon and fawn over anything he says or creates.   This is a real business.  They will sell 50K mach-Es the first year.  They may or may not get 50K "hand-raisers" but there will be a lot more sales in person from test drives than will do a blind internet reservation.

Believe me I thank God everyday Ford is not Tesla.  Tesla is an awful company that makes garbage and is run by a fraud.  

I agree with the speculation that Ford will sell 50K in the first year.  But that is more of a indication of how a mature, proper company operates.  They are being conservative (or responsible) with their production and sales forecast.  Tesla would never do that but then, they are kids sitting at the adult table.

2 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

I'm sorry (well not really) but I just don't.  Not when there is a large amount of context being ignored (mainly how many total reservations Ford has received).

If you don't believe that 40 at one dealership out of 3000 is statistically significant then you're not very good at math.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I think this will soon be the new norm in automotive retailing, both new and used vehicles. A customer friendly experience researching, reserving, and ordering a vehicle online and taking delivery of it at a convenient location (whether at a dealership or at the customer's home or worksite) makes test drives unnecessary.

My 2019 Ranger purchase didn't involve seeing, driving, or touching the truck prior to delivery. My wife and I are doing it again with our Mustang Mach E reservation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

I think this will soon be the new norm in automotive retailing, both new and used vehicles. A customer friendly experience researching, reserving, and ordering a vehicle online and taking delivery of it at a convenient location (whether at a dealership or at the customer's home or worksite) makes test drives unnecessary.

My 2019 Ranger purchase didn't involve seeing, driving, or touching the truck prior to delivery. My wife and I are doing it again with our Mustang Mach E reservation.

I hope this doesn’t end up like the video game industry. Once developers started doing preorders, quality went down hill. Developers didn’t care because they already had your money and they could just fix it later. Some gamers didn’t care because they were swayed by the freebies they got for preordering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I hope this doesn’t end up like the video game industry. Once developers started doing preorders, quality went down hill. Developers didn’t care because they already had your money and they could just fix it later. Some gamers didn’t care because they were swayed by the freebies they got for preordering.

I don't think it will.  It's only 500 bucks.  They're not paying for the entire vehicle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rperez817 said:

This may become the norm for some buyers, but not all.  I will never buy a vehicle without driving it first.  My wife feels the same way.

I remember the first time I test drove a friends new '92 Altima (nice color it was a deep blue almost purple). I was like "Wow dude, something wrong with your steering wheel, it vibrates and tugs when I slam the gas"... I get home tell my father and he's like "Thats called FWD, we have never had a FWD vehicle ever in this house, it's evil!"...And sure enough, since then I just can't LOL   But yes I did put a reservation in for the Mach-E, but obviously I'll test drive it before I write a check.   Hell, for the Tesla... what turned me off was the interior materials, the 90's Saturn Sun Visors, wind noise, the BMW-like A/C cooling (lack thereof), the "Chrysler Minivan" vibrating tinsy door slams that turned me off to the brand.  Never know...

The one advantage Ford will have is there will be MME on the lots for people sitting on the fence about them. 

Far too much emphasis on sales number, when only 20k are slated for the US market...I’m more concerned about year to year sales, which would be a better indication of what the actual market wants for a BEV that isn’t sold by a company that borders on a cult.  

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 8:47 AM, akirby said:

Tesla is nationwide (maybe international?).   40 was from one of 3000 a Ford dealerships.   It’s never going to have the hype of Tesla but that’s a pretty strong showing for Fords first real EV.

Some of ya’ll need an expectation adjustment.

I believe we have over 40 odd ourselves....and we are a SMALL player...

• Like 1