40 Mach-E Orders in One Night

From the Detroit Free Press.  

"Imagine getting 40 customers in one night for a vehicle that starts at $43,895 and reaches $60,500.  Steve Fuentes did.  "And we're up to 100 reservations now," he said. "The Mustang Mach-E has had a tremendous positive response. This is one of the biggest game changers we've ever had."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2020/01/02/2021-ford-mach-e-mustang-suv-electric/2782349001/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Imagine getting 40 customers in one night for a vehicle that starts at $43,895 and reaches $60,500.

Steve Fuentes did. 

"And we're up to 100 reservations now," he said."

Are they orders or reservations?  Major difference.

Edited by sho94_2000

58 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I saw an article that said all the first editions had been reserved. Even that limited amount took a month and a half to happen. I expected it to go quicker honestly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/12/30/tech/ford-mustang-mach-e-reservations-full/index.html

No it didn't, they sold out a month ago.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/11/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-first-edition-already-sold-out-in-the-usa/

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

ok I thought I remembered that, but I saw numerous articles this week saying the reservations were full. 

Looks like ford put a press release out on Monday.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/12/30/mustang-mach-e-first-edition-reservation-facts.html

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

ok I thought I remembered that, but I saw numerous articles this week saying the reservations were full. 

Looks like ford put a press release out on Monday.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/12/30/mustang-mach-e-first-edition-reservation-facts.html

All good, just keep in mind that press releases and announcements can be a lagging indicator.

12 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Thanks T-dubz sir. Interesting details there. However, Ford still hasn't answered the question "how many Mustang Mach-E reservations have been placed?"

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Thanks T-dubz sir. Interesting details there. However, Ford still hasn't answered the question "how many Mustang Mach-E reservations have been placed?"

good question. The Jeep gladiator launch edition was limited to 4,190. That’s the only model I can think of at the moment that had some type of “first” edition like the Mach-e. I’d guess it’s under 5,000 for the Mach-e too. If you go too much higher than that, it loses some of the specialness and rarity of a first edition.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sho94_2000 said:

In that case Tesla is doing amazingly well with their ClusterTruck.  146,000 orders in 48 hours.

Glad this dealer is telling us about their 40 orders.

Its a meme in of its self. You put a $100 deposit down. And refund it. Still counts though! LMFAO

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wildosvt said:

Its a meme in of its self. You put a $100 deposit down. And refund it. Still counts though! LMFAO

Exactly.  Which is why I have a hard time calling a reservation an order.  

If I make a reservation at a restaurant that doesn't mean I ordered dinner.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

Exactly.  Which is why I have a hard time calling a reservation an order.  

If I make a reservation at a restaurant that doesn't mean I ordered dinner.

But you don’t put down a deposit for a restaurant reservation.  It’s a refundable order as are almost all vehicle orders.

15 hours ago, sho94_2000 said:

In that case Tesla is doing amazingly well with their ClusterTruck.  146,000 orders in 48 hours.

Glad this dealer is telling us about their 40 orders.

Tesla is nationwide (maybe international?).   40 was from one of 3000 a Ford dealerships.   It’s never going to have the hype of Tesla but that’s a pretty strong showing for Fords first real EV.

Some of ya’ll need an expectation adjustment.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

It’s a refundable order as are almost all vehicle orders.

The reservation fee is refundable, but it is definitely not an order. Both Ford and later my Ford dealership made this very clear to my wife and me when we placed our Mustang Mach E reservation. This is the verbiage given to us before charging my credit card, and again after the reservation request went through:

"By completing the Reservation Process, you are not ordering or purchasing a vehicle"

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

I’d also say there’s a significant difference between a $100 and $500 deposit.  I’m curious to see how pricing (and leasing) goes on the Mach-E.  Other than pricing/leasing, the only thing I could see causing me to cancel my E reservation is the Bronco. 

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

But you don’t put down a deposit for a restaurant reservation.  It’s a refundable order as are almost all vehicle orders.

True.  I just though it was funny when it popped into my head.

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Tesla is nationwide (maybe international?).   40 was from one of 3000 a Ford dealerships.   It’s never going to have the hype of Tesla but that’s a pretty strong showing for Fords first real EV.

Some of ya’ll need an expectation adjustment.

Nah it's not us.  We don't need a dealer crowing about 40 reservations.  It's not that big of a deal or really indicative of anything.

A better number would be the total number of reservations Ford has received.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

The reservation fee is refundable, but it is definitely not an order. Both Ford and later my Ford dealership made this very clear to my wife and me when we placed our Mustang Mach E reservation. This is the verbiage given to us before charging my credit card, and again after the reservation request went through:

It’s all semantics and really makes no difference what you call it.

I don’t expect them to hit 50k reservations.  I think most buyers want to see it and drive it first.  This isn’t the Tesla cult crowd.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

We don't need a dealer crowing about 40 reservations.  It's not that big of a deal or really indicative of anything.....

It's a big deal to the dealer who, thanks to the Mach-E, now potentially has 100 new sales.  Any dealer would be ecstatic to have that increase in volume.

8 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

It's a big deal to the dealer who, thanks to the Mach-E, now potentially has 100 new sales.  Any dealer would be ecstatic to have that increase in volume.

I would hope that dealer is smart enough to know that reservations mean squat.  What is meaningful is how many Mache sales actually materialize. 

A fully refundable reservation is vaporware until the papers are signed. 

• Like 1

Just now, sho94_2000 said:

I would hope that dealer is smart enough to know that reservations mean squat.  What is meaningful is how many Mache sales actually materialize. 

A fully refundable reservation is vaporware until the papers are signed. 

You're missing the point.  These are potentially new sales that wouldn't have happened without the Mach-E.  You can't spin this as something negative.  It's not.

• Like 1