Ford Oz reportedly about to sign off on factory backed 5.0l Coyote Ranger Raptor

13 minutes ago, probowler said:

I can't believe there wouldn't be demand for a V8 Bronco 

Keep in mind, we're not talking about an OJ full-size/F-150 based platform, the upcoming Bronco is more of a mid-size vehicle. I just don't see the need for a V-8. Even a base, NA V-6 should be able to do the job.

HRG

15 minutes ago, probowler said:

Why aftermarket though? 

Of course there would but, remember the government is watching with CAFE......

a TTV6 may give similar performance and better official numbers.

28 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Of course there would but, remember the government is watching with CAFE......

a TTV6 may give similar performance and better official numbers.

CAFE is probably a bigger hurdle, but there's also having to do the safety certification process on yet another variant. Also, being able to accommodate a 60-degree V6 on the assembly line doesn't automatically mean that it can also accommodate a wider 90-degree V8.*

If someone can make the business case for it, it'll get done, but my suspicion is that there aren't enough buyers who will spend enough to justify the expenditure for Ford.

*Not that there isn't something enticing about the idea of seeing a 7.3-powered Ranger Rolling off the line...

Edited by SoonerLS

4 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

CAFE is probably a bigger hurdle, but there's also having to do the safety certification process on yet another variant. Also, being able to accommodate a 60-degree V6 on the assembly line doesn't automatically mean that it can also accommodate a wider 90-degree V8.*

If someone can make the business case for it, it'll get done, but my suspicion is that there aren't enough buyers who will spend enough to justify the expenditure for Ford.

*Not that there isn't something enticing about the idea of seeing a 7.3-powered Ranger Rolling off the line...

OK we had experience with this when Ford Aust was looking to drop the I-6 and use the 3.5 V6 Cyclone,

you'd think it's an easier fit than the 90 degree coyote, right?

Not so, the coyote heads were angled lower which angled the exhaust headers down and away

from the inner spring aprons (Falcon had SLAS like Aviator)  which had to be massaged to allow

the V6 headers to clear.

None of that would matter with the 2.7/3.0 Nanos as they're a lot more compact.

4 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Keep in mind, we're not talking about an OJ full-size/F-150 based platform, the upcoming Bronco is more of a mid-size vehicle. I just don't see the need for a V-8. Even a base, NA V-6 should be able to do the job.

HRG

The need for a V8 would only be there  if a lot of Folks wanted one in oh say, a Bronco Raptor?

but even then, would Ford go new era with something like Aviator's PHEV set up?

We'll know in a couple of months...

29 minutes ago, probowler said:

FCA seems to be doing pretty well selling V8's in Hellcats... And  the Grand Cheroke sports a V8.

Hopefully whatever Ford comes out with, be it a SC V6 or V8 will kick Dodges ass.  For the top of the line, raptor model? I do think a V8 is the way.

So do i....i dumped the rupture off my lust list the moment they dumped the v8...

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 9:58 AM, probowler said:

Why aftermarket though? 

Here's a crazy idea for  Bronco V8, what if the engineering costs could be split across two other vehicles,

things that once seemed impossible then become possible because the potential audience widens.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 7:14 PM, HotRunrGuy said:

The new Bronco will be closer to the old 1990s Bronco then you think:

1995 Bronco:
Length:183.6 in

Width: 79.1 in

Wheelbase:104.7 in

Height: 74.4 in

2019 Everest-Expect the Bronco to be roughly similar, with the 2 door being shorter
Length    4892mm=192.6 in

Width    1860mm=73.2 in

Wheelbase    2850mm= 112 inches

Height    1837mm= 72.3 inches

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Here's a crazy idea for  Bronco V8, what if the engineering costs could be split across two other vehicles,

things that once seemed impossible then become possible because the potential audience widens.

V8 Everest is probably not going to move the sales needle enough to make up the numbers ?

It's curious that FCA decided not to make a V8 Wrangler. They also have 2 other vehicles sharing the platform (Gladiator and upcoming Ram Dakota) and the math didn't work either. 

9 minutes ago, bzcat said:

V8 Everest is probably not going to move the sales needle enough to make up the numbers ?

It's curious that FCA decided not to make a V8 Wrangler. They also have 2 other vehicles sharing the platform (Gladiator and upcoming Ram Dakota) and the math didn't work either. 

Weight concerns would be my guess 

19 minutes ago, bzcat said:

By themselves the Business case for a Bronco  Raptor, Ranger Raptor and Everest Raptor couldn’t be made and that would have been the end of it right there except it wasn’t........

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bzcat said:

There is a turbo inline-six coming in the future.

Everyone just assumes that things don't fit because they're not designed to but,

what if someone at Ford has  already worked out what was needed and it does fit..

Go back to Explorer Sport Trac, it had a 4.6 V8 Mod (similar configuration/size).

Edited by jpd80

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So did the regular Explorer as an option 

I mentioned the Sport Track because it is so close to the current Ranger crew cab in length width and track

even the chassis look similar to a point....

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Go back to Explorer Sport Trac, it had a 4.6 V8 Mod (similar configuration/size).

Didn't the Explorer get the SOHC version of the 4.6? I think that's a bit narrower than the DOHC Coyote.

Regardless, I hope someone has gotten it sorted and been able to make the case in Dearborn...

• Like 1