'19 Year End Sale Totals

15 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Explorer and PI Ute numbers...ouch.

I'm wondering if the low PIU sales are due to late roll out of them in summertime combined with the fucked up launch of the Explorer? Should be interesting how sales play out early this year. 

I haven't seen any local agencies with the new PIU in their fleet and my local PD just got some Chargers after using Explorers. 

33 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm wondering if the low PIU sales are due to late roll out of them in summertime combined with the fucked up launch of the Explorer? Should be interesting how sales play out early this year. 

I haven't seen any local agencies with the new PIU in their fleet and my local PD just got some Chargers after using Explorers. 

Probably best to just write off H2 as Explorer slowly cranks up sales. PDs might be holding off until all the bugs are shaken out.

Edited by jpd80

Thanks to Ranger, Ford was #1 for total U.S. pickup truck sales in 2019. :happyfeet:

GM had the crown in 2018 and several years prior to that. Ford's lead over GM in 2019 was more than 23,000 units for the year. That means that Ford would probably have beat GM even if GM didn't have to deal with the UAW strike.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

Humph.  Just look at those Escape numbers and that was with MASSIVE discounts on the oversupplied '19s.  Can't wait to see the numbers for the pathetic '20s in April.  Otherwise, numbers are not that bad.  Ford is killing it with the Expedition.  Until the new Tahoe and Suburban come out; shortly.

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

F series + Ranger - 986k for 2019 vs 910k for F series in 2018.  Very little (if any) cannibalization of F150 sales by Ranger.

Excellent showing by Ranger given the option limitations.

Yes sir. The pickup truck segment in the U.S. continues to be very strong. Especially midsize pickups. As I said in other threads, Ford made the right decision to rush the global T6 Ranger to the U.S. market, rather than wait for the next generation Ranger. Ford's status of being the #1 seller of pickup trucks in the U.S. for 2019 is a big deal, and Ranger is the reason Ford earned it.

The idea that F-150 sales are cannibalized by Ranger is and has always been faulty. Maybe some Ford executives 10 years ago thought that was a concern. But they were wrong. And hopefully they no longer work at Ford.

Just now, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. The pickup truck segment in the U.S. continues to be very strong. Especially midsize pickups. As I said in other threads, Ford made the right decision to rush the global T6 Ranger to the U.S. market, rather than wait for the next generation Ranger. Ford's status of being the #1 seller of pickup trucks in the U.S. for 2019 is a big deal, and Ranger is the reason Ford earned it.

The idea that F-150 sales are cannibalized by Ranger is and has always been faulty. Maybe some Ford executives 10 years ago thought that was a concern. But they were wrong. And hopefully they no longer work at Ford.

Congrats - you made it through a Ranger comment without using the word hack job.

If you think back to 2011 they were only selling 600k F series back then and the impact on sales might have been different back then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

Congrats - you made it through a Ranger comment without using the word hack job.

If you think back to 2011 they were only selling 600k F series back then and the impact on sales might have been different back then.

Thank you akirby. I think everyone on this site familiar with U.S. Ford Rangers now knows what the situation is with the 2019-2020 version of that truck. :)

I looked up the year 2011 sales numbers for F-Series and Ranger. In the U.S., it was 584,917 for F-Series, 70,832 for Ranger, 655,749 pickup trucks total. Then as now, there was very little cannibalization between those two product lines.

34 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Considering that he's actually spent HIS money to buy a new Ranger, and you haven't, he's entitled to his OPINION. Whether you agree with it or not.

HRG

here's the thing though, he's the only one calling it a hack job. Not even the worst reviews have called it that. 

32 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

it was below $9 at several points in 2019.

47 minutes ago, probowler said:

Stock slid after the numbers, almost at $9 now. I wonder if it will go below 9 and where the bottom is? 

Last time F closed below $9 a share was December 5, 2019. Last time it closed above $10 was July 24, 2019.

Don't know what the bottom is, but ultimately investing in F is not an efficient use of capital. 

21 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Don't know what the bottom is, but ultimately investing in F is not an efficient use of capital. 

We had this discussion before.  You're completely ignoring dividends.  Ford pays a nice one.  For an old guy like me, dividends make up a large part of my yearly income.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I've only recently started to see more regular Explorers (and even then only a handful), so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before both regular and PIU numbers recover.

Here's the December chart!

To note, Taurus/PIS and Explorer/PIU numbers are a bit skewed because I don't have a breakdown of PIS/U numbers for previous months, so I have to reconcile year end numbers vs. what we have for monthly figures, which results in goofy numbers (like the -64 for Taurus).

In other words, October and November charts had Taurus/PIS and Explorer/PIU figures combined, which means these December numbers for Explorer/Taurus itself are actually higher and the PIS/PIU numbers should actually be lower for December.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to fix this for 2020.  I may have to just combine them and then do a separate row for PIU at the quarters for curiosity's/information's sake.

image.thumb.png.e355a6cdc0784318d93f8662dd4632a8.png

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2