'19 Year End Sale Totals

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Considering that he's actually spent HIS money to buy a new Ranger, and you haven't, he's entitled to his OPINION. Whether you agree with it or not.

Here we go again.   Hack job is not an opinion, it's an inaccurate fact.  It implies low quality and things left unfinished, neither of which are true.

If he had said I don't like this or that then THAT's an opinion.

I swear 80% of the arguments we have here is people who make incorrect factual statements and then just say "It's my opinion" as if that gives them a free pass to say whatever they want even when it's contradicted by hard evidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

We had this discussion before.  You're completely ignoring dividends.  Ford pays a nice one.  For an old guy like me, dividends make up a large part of my yearly income.

I'm hoping to get to the point that my F dividends will pay my health insurance when I retire.

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

We had this discussion before.  You're completely ignoring dividends.  Ford pays a nice one.  For an old guy like me, dividends make up a large part of my yearly income.

Yes sir mackinaw, I remember discussing F and dividends in another thread. As in that other thread, I'm not ignoring F dividends.

As I mentioned previously, you don't have to hold on to a laggard individual stock in order to get decent dividend income. There are plenty of dividend paying index mutual funds and ETF that performed better than F in terms of capital appreciation over the past 1, 3, and 5 year periods. In addition to index funds, consider REIT funds, they tend to have consistent dividend payout policies. But as with anything real estate related, keep an eye on interest rates with REIT funds.

15 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I really should get in on that but there's no way I'll be able to talk my wife into it 

Not a good idea to have all your retirement investments tied to your company.  E.g. if you have your 401k invested 100% in your company and the company goes under then you could lose both your pension (if you have one) and your 401k at the same time.

I have a company managing our 401ks and the first thing they do every quarter is sell the company match stock distribution.

4 hours ago, CLTEcoBoost said:

Humph.  Just look at those Escape numbers and that was with MASSIVE discounts on the oversupplied '19s.  Can't wait to see the numbers for the pathetic '20s in April.  Otherwise, numbers are not that bad.  Ford is killing it with the Expedition.  Until the new Tahoe and Suburban come out; shortly.

I should have the actual Escape numbers by tomorrow but I'm told the numbers were absolutely horrible for the New York Region. Massive incentives for EcoSport and Escape didn't help and now they've pulled nearly all marketing support (incentives) on both including the new 2020MY Escape. And the scheduling mix for the 2020 Escape Hybrids is very heavy on the Titanium Hybrid when what the Dealers want are the SE Sport Hybrids. 

Similar situation with the 2020 Fusion... there's a ton of inventory out there and they've drastically cut the incentives the past 3+ months causing the Fusion numbers to tank in our area. We have 27 Fusions in stock and delivered 1 last month. Not that many years ago we were delivering 15-20 each month. So now it looks like Ford's just going to let the Fusion die off and their Dealers are going to spend a lot on floorplan expenses. 

Edited by ice-capades
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not a good idea to have all your retirement investments tied to your company.  E.g. if you have your 401k invested 100% in your company and the company goes under then you could lose both your pension (if you have one) and your 401k at the same time.

I have a company managing our 401ks and the first thing they do every quarter is sell the company match stock distribution.

Who said anything about a 401k? 

1 hour ago, RadicalX said:

It's impressive that Lincoln had a 17% increase in his sales. Keep the job, especially in Aviator. I hope to see more advertising Corsair too.

Also, impressive that Lincoln sales cut Ford losses almost in half, from -2.2% for Ford alone to -1.3% for FMC overall. 

Cars sales down 41% but overall sales down only 1%

I guess early vindicating on Hackett's decision to cut all the car nameplates except the ones holding the place together are pickup trucks and vans... the SUV bet have yet to pay off. The botched Explorer launch is unforgivable and impacted volume (and I'm sure profit) and we are still waiting for all the new nameplates to launch in 2020. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Here's the December chart!

To note, Taurus/PIS and Explorer/PIU numbers are a bit skewed because I don't have a breakdown of PIS/U numbers for previous months, so I have to reconcile year end numbers vs. what we have for monthly figures, which results in goofy numbers (like the -64 for Taurus).

In other words, October and November charts had Taurus/PIS and Explorer/PIU figures combined, which means these December numbers for Explorer/Taurus itself are actually higher and the PIS/PIU numbers should actually be lower for December.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to fix this for 2020.  I may have to just combine them and then do a separate row for PIU at the quarters for curiosity's/information's sake.

image.thumb.png.e355a6cdc0784318d93f8662dd4632a8.png

It's great to see Lincoln  selling 12k cars in the last month.  Even though December is an atypical month with huge sales, it's really good for Lincoln.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Also, impressive that Lincoln sales cut Ford losses almost in half, from -2.2% for Ford alone to -1.3% for FMC overall. 

I'm seeing numbers that are a bit different. What I don't understand, Lincoln's total sales, across 7 models, is what, 5% of Fords?  Seems hardly necessary to keep the brand alive, much less encourage dealers to build independent showrooms.

HRG

FMC2019.JPG

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm wondering if the low PIU sales are due to late roll out of them in summertime combined with the fucked up launch of the Explorer? Should be interesting how sales play out early this year. 

I haven't seen any local agencies with the new PIU in their fleet and my local PD just got some Chargers after using Explorers. 

Why doesn’t ford make the expedition the police vehicle? I’d guess that I see more Tahoe’s than any other police vehicle. Can’t even tell you the last time I saw a police car that was a sedan.

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm seeing numbers that are a bit different. What I don't understand, Lincoln's total sales, across 7 models, is what, 5% of Fords?  Seems hardly necessary to keep the brand alive, much less encourage dealers to build independent showrooms.

HRG

FMC2019.JPG

I was referring to the original post about quarterly sales. 

12 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Lincoln doesn't have trucks or vans, so that makes the Lincoln volume about 12% of the total car and SUV sales.   But the Lincoln models (especially Continental and Navigator) can pull in $80K+ and the rest can be significantly higher than their Ford counterparts generating a lot more profit.  Especially when they are all co-developed and share a platform with one or more Ford vehicles.

7 good models is more than enough to support a stand alone dealer.  Models and volume are almost identical to Volvo.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Why doesn’t ford make the expedition the police vehicle? I’d guess that I see more Tahoe’s than any other police vehicle. Can’t even tell you the last time I saw a police car that was a sedan.

Where I live the city is getting Explorer PUI's and the county purchased the Durango.

Main complaint on the Tahoes was the brakes were/ are noisy.

24 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Why doesn’t ford make the expedition the police vehicle?

Ford splits its utility offerings for police departments into pursuit and non-pursuit/SSV. Explorer based Police Interceptor is pursuit rated, while Expedition SSV is designed for non-pursuit law enforcement duties such as tactical work, evidence tech, off road, administrative, etc. https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/speciality-vehicle/expedition-special-service-vehicle/

expd_police_jelly.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

Where I live the city is getting Explorer PUI's and the county purchased the Durango.

Main complaint on the Tahoes was the brakes were/ are noisy.

One of my local sheriff's departments switched from the PIU to Tahoe's.  They said the Ford was faster to accelerate, had a higher top speed, and handled better.  But they needed a larger gas tank for better range.  It's a rural county, so I'm guessing they drive to hell and back.

3 minutes ago, 92merc said:

One of my local sheriff's departments switched from the PIU to Tahoe's.  They said the Ford was faster to accelerate, had a higher top speed, and handled better.  But they needed a larger gas tank for better range.  It's a rural county, so I'm guessing they drive to hell and back.

That's where the PIU hybrid should help.

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

I should have the actual Escape numbers by tomorrow but I'm told the numbers were absolutely horrible for the New York Region. Massive incentives for EcoSport and Escape didn't help and now they've pulled nearly all marketing support (incentives) on both including the new 2020MY Escape. And the scheduling mix for the 2020 Escape Hybrids is very heavy on the Titanium Hybrid when what the Dealers want are the SE Sport Hybrids. 

Similar situation with the 2020 Fusion... there's a ton of inventory out there and they've drastically cut the incentives the past 3+ months causing the Fusion numbers to tank in our area. We have 27 Fusions in stock and delivered 1 last month. Not that many years ago we were delivering 15-20 each month. So now it looks like Ford's just going to let the Fusion die off and their Dealers are going to spend a lot on floorplan expenses. 

Took a look at the local dealership up the street from me and they have 25 Escapes in stock-

3 2019MY, rest where 2020's either on the lot or incoming. Not too terrible, but not great having 3 vehicles around almost 4-5 months after the 2020's came out. I've seen handful of 2020 Escapes around me and I see a ton of 2020 Explorers in my area. 

3 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Took a look at the local dealership up the street from me and they have 25 Escapes in stock-

3 2019MY, rest where 2020's either on the lot or incoming. Not too terrible, but not great having 3 vehicles around almost 4-5 months after the 2020's came out. I've seen handful of 2020 Escapes around me and I see a ton of 2020 Explorers in my area. 

The dealer that did the short-block replacement on my '18 Escape has a total of 27, (10) '19's and (17) '20s.

HRG