'19 Year End Sale Totals

30 minutes ago, akirby said:

That's where the PIU hybrid should help.

The hybrid powertrain is better suited to urban operation with lots of idling or stop and go traffic. That's where the hybrid's fuel economy advantage is biggest.

For long distance travel on rural highways, Tahoe PPV's additional range is significant. About 550 miles per tank compared to 440 miles for Ford PIU Hybrid.

Edit: Ford PIU Hybrid actually has lower highway range than the non-hybrid 3.3L version. Highway fuel economy is 1 mpg higher with the hybrid, but the fuel tank has 2.4 fewer gallons of capacity.

Edited by rperez817
Added fuel tank specs for PIU and PIU Hybrid

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

I should have the actual Escape numbers by tomorrow but I'm told the numbers were absolutely horrible for the New York Region. Massive incentives for EcoSport and Escape didn't help and now they've pulled nearly all marketing support (incentives) on both including the new 2020MY Escape. And the scheduling mix for the 2020 Escape Hybrids is very heavy on the Titanium Hybrid when what the Dealers want are the SE Sport Hybrids. 

Similar situation with the 2020 Fusion... there's a ton of inventory out there and they've drastically cut the incentives the past 3+ months causing the Fusion numbers to tank in our area. We have 27 Fusions in stock and delivered 1 last month. Not that many years ago we were delivering 15-20 each month. So now it looks like Ford's just going to let the Fusion die off and their Dealers are going to spend a lot on floorplan expenses. 

Chickens are coming home to roost, soft styling of Ford’s new Escape and the EcoSport is not working in the US market. Explorer still concerns me even though sales seem to be on the mend. 

It’s like Ford is making the transition to more Utilities unnecessarily hard for buyers , everywhere I look it’s like they want to jack up the price or lower incentives. IMO, they’re taking their eyes off previous sales numbers and focusing too much on higher profit per vehicle.

Explorer inventory is now close to 70,000.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Explorer inventory is now close to 70,000.

Thanks for that info jpd80, that's wild! Do you know the supply days number (number of days needed to sell vehicles in inventory based on previous month's daily selling rate) for Ford overall or for Explorer as of January 1, 2020?

I remember at some point in Q4 2019, Ford overall had over 90 days supply.

Edited by rperez817

RMC, thanks for your work on those months charts. I know that everyone here Appreciated the  work you do every month in trying to keep records accurate.

Im wondering if the Explorer sales numbers for October and November were just civilian Explorer as icecapades has suggested delays with production schedules for PIUs, maybe those sales are later and are only starting to filter through in November/ December 

10 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Thanks for that info jpd80, that's wild! Do you know the supply days number (number of days needed to sell vehicles in inventory based on previous month's daily selling rate) for Ford overall or for Explorer as of January 1, 2020?

I remember at some point in Q4 2019, Ford overall had over 90 days supply.

Pretty sure it was over 100 days  as at 1 December (67,000 then)

Ford  won’t need three shifts if it can’t sell new Explorer at the rate it did with the previous version. Something weird is going on with their right sizing production and sales to true market need.

Edited by jpd80
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

It's way too early to pass judgement on 2020 Escape.  Let's wait a few months when inventory has leveled out and the 2019s are completely gone and they adjust the incentives accordingly.

If this was November sales, I’d agree but we’re already hearing from icecapades that they can’t shift then with strong incentives and now Ford is dropping this incentive.

The warning signs are there but yes, we still need more monthly data to confirm 

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

If this was November sales, I’d agree but we’re already hearing from icecapades that they can’t shift then with strong incentives and now Ford is dropping this incentive.

That's only one region and I don't think they had massive incentives on the 2020s.   On the website it says $2K rebate just announced - I don't know what it was before.

I'm not saying it is or it isn't a problem - I'm just saying it's too early to tell either way.

• Like 1

For many months last year, some were lamenting the slow sales start for the Ranger.  Now, I see in December Ford sold over 14,000 Rangers.  I agree with Kirby, way too early to pass judgement on the Escape or Explorer.  Let's have this discussion in July.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

That's only one region and I don't think they had massive incentives on the 2020s.   On the website it says $2K rebate just announced - I don't know what it was before.

Looks like they're adding another $500 if it's been sitting there for 61 days,,,,

HRG

30301 escape 61 days.JPG

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Pretty sure it was over 100 days  as at 1 December (67,000 then)

Ford  won’t need three shifts if it can’t sell new Explorer at the rate it did with the previous version. Something weird is going on with their right sizing production and sales to true market need.

You’re forgetting about Aviator and what kind of numbers it could potentially sustain, as well as PIU sales once they finally figure out the issues they’re having and finally start delivering them. 

I'm not ready to sound the alarm yet. 

29 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

For many months last year, some were lamenting the slow sales start for the Ranger.  Now, I see in December Ford sold over 14,000 Rangers.  I agree with Kirby, way too early to pass judgement on the Escape or Explorer.  Let's have this discussion in July.

The rollout of the Ranger was also deliberately slow. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RadicalX said:

It's great to see Lincoln  selling 12k cars in the last month.  Even though December is an atypical month with huge sales, it's really good for Lincoln.

It's annoying they missed 13K by 6 units!

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm seeing numbers that are a bit different. What I don't understand, Lincoln's total sales, across 7 models, is what, 5% of Fords?  Seems hardly necessary to keep the brand alive, much less encourage dealers to build independent showrooms.

HRG

FMC2019.JPG

Lincolns can generate much higher profits even if a much lower volume.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Took a look at the local dealership up the street from me and they have 25 Escapes in stock-

3 2019MY, rest where 2020's either on the lot or incoming. Not too terrible, but not great having 3 vehicles around almost 4-5 months after the 2020's came out. I've seen handful of 2020 Escapes around me and I see a ton of 2020 Explorers in my area. 

I've actually seen more new Escapes than Explorers, though I'm starting to see a lot more of both around.

56 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

RMC, thanks for your work on those months charts. I know that everyone here Appreciated the  work you do every month in trying to keep records accurate.

Im wondering if the Explorer sales numbers for October and November were just civilian Explorer as icecapades has suggested delays with production schedules for PIUs, maybe those sales are later and are only starting to filter through in November/ December 

You know, that was an interesting tidbit, and made it sound as if none had been delivered yet?  I wonder if he can chime in with more info there.

15 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The rollout of the Ranger was also deliberately slow. 

Slow and steady wins the race. As a 2019 Ranger owner, I'm glad Ford took that approach. Especially considering the botched launches of so many other Ford vehicles in the past decade.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

You know, that was an interesting tidbit, and made it sound as if none had been delivered yet?  I wonder if he can chime in with more info there.

Update on that,

Sounds like Combined Explorer  sales for

December '19 ('20).........18,729  (22,293)......... -16.0%

For 2019 (2020)...........187,061  (261,571)........-28.5%

And now I suspect that October and November unofficial figures may also be combined (I was incorrect with earlier statement)

but pretty sure that those  PIU sales are probably much greater in December than October /November.

I'm getting a taste for what you go through every month, trying to sleuth out clues regarding PI breakouts.

Also my intel is that combined sales of Taurus for December was 24...

C-Max........0

Fiesta.......2,039

Focus.........0

Fusion........13,777

GT.................2

Mustang........5,879

Taurus...........24

4 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm seeing numbers that are a bit different. What I don't understand, Lincoln's total sales, across 7 models, is what, 5% of Fords?  Seems hardly necessary to keep the brand alive, much less encourage dealers to build independent showrooms.

HRG

Is that you, Alan Mulally?

• Haha 1

And i see the "hack job" scored over 14,000 sales last month,

the Motor Trend reviewer who said that is now looking rather foolish..

Meanwhile Colorado continues its downward spiral with +8K sales...

I can't feel sorry for GM if they're taking it in the clacker because of Ranger...

Edited by jpd80

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The warning signs are there but yes, we still need more monthly data to confirm 

I believe it was Fuzzy that said the NG Edge looks somewhat similar to the  Escape.  If so, I hope Ford hasn’t locked the final design in yet and will reconsider. 

7 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I believe it was Fuzzy that said the NG Edge looks somewhat similar to the  Escape.  If so, I hope Ford hasn’t locked the final design in yet and will reconsider. 

I don't remember saying that at all actually. It looks more like an evolution of the current one with a little more of the 15-18 Focus in it. 

Now that I think about it, it may not have actually been NG Edge at all, the proportions I remember (don't have the image anymore) don't seem like an Edge-type vehicle. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

OK, I'll qualify my earlier statement regarding Escape by saying that Ford needs both smooth/soft styling and Chunky styled Utilities at the same time so that buyers can work out which ones suit them, I suspect Ford over accentuated the softness for differentiation but without the Rugged Broncos for contrast,  the reference point is not there.

Last month, Chevrolet Equinox was over 37,000 sales and it's nothing remarkable but highly effective. Ford is clearly messing in its own nest some how some way, it's like their Utilities have lost all sales momentum....

Edited by jpd80

1 minute ago, RadicalX said:

Next gen Edge with Focus front grille? Another escape? Ford needs to stop. Ranger and Expedition have better front end and front grille. Would be better to copy those grilles than Focus/Escape smiling grille

Sometimes things do and don't work depending on the sales region, I believe there's quite a bit of push-pull out there and we only see the nett result as a single statistic line item.

Case in point with Lincoln, it's only strong in three locations, California, New York and Florida.

Just like Flex had its best sales in  California..

11 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

Next gen Edge with Focus front grille? Another escape? Ford needs to stop. Ranger and Expedition have better front end and front grille. Would be better to copy those grilles than Focus/Escape smiling grille

ford needs a new grille. That one has been played out already.

16 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Last month, Chevrolet Equinox was over 37,000 sales and it's nothing remarkable but highly effective. Ford is clearly messing in its own nest some how some way, it's like their Utilities have lost all sales momentum....

I’m surprised that the equinox sold that much. I’d take the new escape over the equinox.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't remember saying that at all actually. It looks more like an evolution of the current one with a little more of the 15-18 Focus in it. 

Now that I think about it, it may not have actually been NG Edge at all, the proportions I remember (don't have the image anymore) don't seem like an Edge-type vehicle. 

Thanks for that info. I will consider the NG model to replace my ‘15 if it looks like an evolution of the current model.