'19 Year End Sale Totals

17 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

ford needs a new grille. That one has been played out already.

I’m surprised that the equinox sold that much. I’d take the new escape over the equinox.

Yep 37,037 (37, 297 in Dec'18)..................346K sales in 2019

Rav4 - 41,282.....................448,071 in 2019

Ford is being left far far behind...

Edited by jpd80

MKT..........................91

MKC....................2,890....XT4......................3,288

Nautilus/MKX.....2,787....XT5......................4,048

Aviator.................2,860....XT6......................3,176

Navigator............2,178....Escalade..............2,050

.........................................Escalade ESV........1,067

Sure hope that Navigator and Aviator sales keep growing,

at least they're in striking distance of the competition.

What would be a nice addition, that 5.0 V8 Hybrid, especially

with a new Escalade on the way......

Edited by jpd80

34 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

MKT..........................91

MKC....................2,890....XT4......................3,288

Nautilus/MKX.....2,787....XT5......................4,048

Aviator.................2,860....XT6......................3,176

Navigator............2,178....Escalade..............2,050

.........................................Escalade ESV........1,067

Sure hope that Navigator and Aviator sales keep growing,

at least they're in striking distance of the competition.

What would be a nice addition, that 5.0 V8 Hybrid, especially

with a new Escalade on the way......

Interesting but not surprising that the MKC/Corsair and Aviator are now Lincoln's top two sellers, moving past the traditional leader, the MKX/Nautilus, which is now Lincoln's only remaining CUV/SUV with the previous generation's styling cues.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Yep 37,037 (37, 297 in Dec'18)..................346K sales in 2019

Rav4 - 41,282.....................448,071 in 2019

Ford is being left far far behind...

Are those Escape totals? If so, good incenatives on escape were prevalent in my AO with dealers willing to talk and that no doubt pushed buyers to complete a deal...i am fairly in the camp that more time is needed to show a trend concerning hacketts plan to gut cars and cheapen the ever luvin hell out of the lower priced suv lineup...july 1 we should have have enuff soft data to make some claims if buyers are not perceiving value in what ford is offering...bronco sales are really of little concern for me as is mack e...bronc should have hefty initial numbers...its what sales show following year that is of importance to me...same situation with mack e...

11 minutes ago, snooter said:

Are those Escape totals? If so, good incenatives on escape were prevalent in my AO with dealers willing to talk and that no doubt pushed buyers to complete a deal...

No, that was Equinox and RAV4 data

Escape data i have:

December '19 ('18)........15,829  (20,147)    -21.4%

Total 2019 (2018).........241,388 (272,228) -11.3%

So nowhere near the Equinox or RAV4 sales I quoted above...

i am fairly in the camp that more time is needed to show a trend concerning hacketts plan to gut cars and cheapen the ever luvin hell out of the lower priced suv lineup...july 1 we should have have enuff soft data to make some claims if buyers are not perceiving value in what ford is offering...bronco sales are really of little concern for me as is mack e...bronc should have hefty initial numbers...its what sales show following year that is of importance to me...same situation with mack e

As always, I respect other's POV to be different to mine so grade me as nervous more than chicken little.

Edited by jpd80

23 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Interesting but not surprising that the MKC/Corsair and Aviator are now Lincoln's top two sellers, moving past the traditional leader, the MKX/Nautilus, which is now Lincoln's only remaining CUV/SUV with the previous generation's styling cues.

At least it's a stronger foundation, hoping that Lincoln can build upon those sales

with more vehicles out in the community......

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

OK, I'll qualify my earlier statement regarding Escape by saying that Ford needs both smooth/soft styling and Chunky styled Utilities at the same time so that buyers can work out which ones suit them, I suspect Ford over accentuated the softness for differentiation but without the Rugged Broncos for contrast,  the reference point is not there.

Last month, Chevrolet Equinox was over 37,000 sales and it's nothing remarkable but highly effective. Ford is clearly messing in its own nest some how some way, it's like their Utilities have lost all sales momentum....

Ford losing momentum in SUVs is largely due to the fact that it left those models unchanged for far too long. You can't snap the momentum with new versions if  the base line sales had deteriorated so much in the waning years of previous gen. It will take concerted effort for Ford to build up Escape again since it fell out of people's consideration list. Most people lease these SUVs and they churn them every 24 or 36 months. Ford's idiotic 7 year model cycle means people aren't coming back for the same looking Escape twice or three times... CR-V, RAV4, and Equinox all got two brand new model change overs in the same time span as the previous gen

The new Escape is going to take time to regain market share but it may not be able to reach the heights that previous gen reached. But if Ford can stick to 5 year  model cycle like its competitors, maybe there is hope for next gen Escape to build on the momentum of the current gen. 

• Like 1

Two scenarios that would (should)  be worrying Ford Execs:

1. What if  those lapsed Escape buyers never come back?

(Love their new other brand vehicle and sign up again)

2. What if Baby Bronco actually conquests the remaining Escape sales?

(Escape buyers dislike styling so much they pick BB instead)

Oh another,

3. What if Ford Car buyers don't just buy a Ford utility, instead go elsewhere.

Edited by jpd80

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Probably best to just write off H2 as Explorer slowly cranks up sales. PDs might be holding off until all the bugs are shaken out.

Might also have something to do with fiscal year timing. I don't know about the po-leese, but when I worked for a state agency, our fiscal year ran from July 1-June 30. Our spending on bigger projects tended to happen more in late spring/early summer, when the budget situation was more solid (you didn't have to worry, f'rinstance, about a sudden spike in winter energy costs knocking a big hole in your available funds).

• Like 2

We were told at a recent meeting that we are going to go hard on selling the 2020 Explorer XLTs, supposedly towards the end of the 1st quarter. They said they plan on selling about 80,000 more Explorers in 2020 than in 2019. So you’re looking at them getting back to 250,000 Explorers this year. That was an absolute commitment that they were serious about.

As for Escape, they basically indicated that the Escape has moved up market in pricing and that they expected sales to shrink with that change. Looks like they don’t plan on going as volume crazy on Escape. They admitted they overproduced the 2019 Escape.

It was quite the cluster to hear this. The Escape matters but I’m puzzled because it doesn’t seem like there’s a plan and there are no decent programs on it. They expect about 150,000 Bronco Sports annually once production with that gets up and running.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

We were told at a recent meeting that we are going to go hard on selling the 2020 Explorer XLTs, supposedly towards the end of the 1st quarter. They said they plan on selling about 80,000 more Explorers in 2020 than in 2019. So you’re looking at them getting back to 250,000 Explorers this year. That was an absolute commitment that they were serious about.

Great news, thanks for sharing.

As for Escape, they basically indicated that the Escape has moved up market in pricing and that they expected sales to shrink with that change. Looks like they don’t plan on going as volume crazy on Escape. They admitted they overproduced the 2019 Escape.

It was quite the cluster to hear this. The Escape matters but I’m puzzled because it doesn’t seem like there’s a plan and there are no decent programs on it. They expect about 150,000 Bronco Sports annually once production with that gets up and running.

My biggest concern is that this will not end well for Escape, glad to be proven wrong.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Great news, thanks for sharing.

My biggest concern is that this will not end well for Escape, glad to be proven wrong.....

Well if hacket quits listening to VW execs things might improve...as it stands fords entire current model line up looks eerily like VW is running the show...

8 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I think Ford rather let the Escape sales shrink with higher transaction prices because they where getting beat up trying to make a profit off the last gen (decontenting at the end) and will make up whatever lost market share with the even more "expensive" Bronco Sport. Both of them should be good for at least 350-450K sales. The bigger issue is them being basically completely non-competitive (outside of price) in the low range of the market with the Ecosport-I hope they have an updated model or something to replace it sooner then later. I guess the supposed small CUV that is going to be built in Mexico (i guess maybe at Hermosillo) is supposed to be that?

9 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

what kind of sales is ford expecting for the new escape? Depending on what the baby bronco ends up looking like, I could totally see it selling more than the escape. My wife has had 2 escapes, 2nd and 3rd gen, and by far the 2nd gen styling was her favorite. She didn’t care for the new model at all.

Ford got this wrong two ways. They think that if they make the escape more car like, the old car customers would buy it. I think car customers will just go to another brand who sells cars because they want a car, not a cuv. 

People who buy suv/cuvs buy them because they like the characteristics of an suv/cuv (style, ride height, etc). If you take those characteristics away in favor of making it more car like, you’ve now alienated your suv/cuv customers.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

People who buy suv/cuvs buy them because they like the characteristics of an suv/cuv (style, ride height, etc). If you take those characteristics away in favor of making it more car like, you’ve now alienated your suv/cuv customers.

The Escape is too expensive to catch buyers coming from the Focus. Ford should have given it at least a semblence of boldness to satisfy the CUV buyers considering the popularity of the Rav4. Why style a CUV to look like a car that cost much less?

The previous Focus owners may have gone for the Puma, if Ford decided to bring it here. It would have been more reasonable step up in cost, while keeping a car-like design.

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't remember saying that at all actually. It looks more like an evolution of the current one with a little more of the 15-18 Focus in it. 

Now that I think about it, it may not have actually been NG Edge at all, the proportions I remember (don't have the image anymore) don't seem like an Edge-type vehicle. 

So that sounds more like a Fusion based Crossover then. 

16 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Update on that,

Sounds like Combined Explorer  sales for

December '19 ('20).........18,729  (22,293)......... -16.0%

For 2019 (2020)...........187,061  (261,571)........-28.5%

And now I suspect that October and November unofficial figures may also be combined (I was incorrect with earlier statement)

but pretty sure that those  PIU sales are probably much greater in December than October /November.

I'm getting a taste for what you go through every month, trying to sleuth out clues regarding PI breakouts.

Also my intel is that combined sales of Taurus for December was 24...

C-Max........0

Fiesta.......2,039

Focus.........0

Fusion........13,777

GT.................2

Mustang........5,879

Taurus...........24

Yeah, it just gets confusing!

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

No, that was Equinox and RAV4 data

Escape data i have:

December '19 ('18)........15,829  (20,147)    -21.4%

Total 2019 (2018).........241,388 (272,228) -11.3%

So nowhere near the Equinox or RAV4 sales I quoted above...

As always, I respect other's POV to be different to mine so grade me as nervous more than chicken little.

Escape used to sell a lot more. :(

11 hours ago, bzcat said:

Ford losing momentum in SUVs is largely due to the fact that it left those models unchanged for far too long. You can't snap the momentum with new versions if  the base line sales had deteriorated so much in the waning years of previous gen. It will take concerted effort for Ford to build up Escape again since it fell out of people's consideration list. Most people lease these SUVs and they churn them every 24 or 36 months. Ford's idiotic 7 year model cycle means people aren't coming back for the same looking Escape twice or three times... CR-V, RAV4, and Equinox all got two brand new model change overs in the same time span as the previous gen

The new Escape is going to take time to regain market share but it may not be able to reach the heights that previous gen reached. But if Ford can stick to 5 year  model cycle like its competitors, maybe there is hope for next gen Escape to build on the momentum of the current gen. 

They need to go one of two directions:

1) Shift to a 5 or 6 year cycle (they were doing it for a while, but seemed to have stopped)

or

2) have more significant MCEs

It can also be argued that #2 should happen either way.  Ford's MCEs of late have left a lot to be desired, with minimal exterior changes, and next to no interior changes.

11 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

The problem with this approach is they cheaped out in several ways on Escape (as we pointed out in the other thread), which makes it harder to command those higher prices.

1 hour ago, Trailhiker said:

The Escape is too expensive to catch buyers coming from the Focus. Ford should have given it at least a semblence of boldness to satisfy the CUV buyers considering the popularity of the Rav4. Why style a CUV to look like a car that cost much less?

The previous Focus owners may have gone for the Puma, if Ford decided to bring it here. It would have been more reasonable step up in cost, while keeping a car-like design.

The CUV styling choice will make more sense once Bronco arrives - they're trying to divide and conquer and target two different types of buyers in the same segment (those who like soft styling and those who like more blocky/masculine styling).

I understand the desire for higher ATPs and lower incentives with lower volume, but what I don’t understand is why they cheap out on the interior.  It’s counter intuitive.  Maybe they’re hedging their bets in case they have to lower prices later or maybe they’re just hoping buyers won’t care.  

• Like 3