'19 Year End Sale Totals

10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The concern I have with baby Bronco’s price is that basically,

it’s “not the real  Bronco” and most folks will see right through it as a reimagined boxy Escape with a classic Ford front clip and let’s face it, that’s all it really is. Question is will buyers buy it figuratively and literally.

The one thing Ford absolutely cannot afford is to  screw up any more launches, they cost hundreds of millions in lost revenue that never gets recovered.

what makes me mad is that the baby bronco is what the real escape should have been. It’s basically a continuation of the 2nd gen escape, yet now they want to slap the bronco name on it and charge me a premium. I wonder what kind of premium ford thinks it can charge. As I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn’t pay anywhere near the MSRP of 29k for the escape se I drove (can’t comment on sel or titanium, maybe they are worth the extra money). If ford thinks it can charge that for a basic escape, I’d hate to see what they think they can get for the baby bronco.

on a side note, I was hopeful the real bronco would start in the low 30’s for an XL or whatever they call the trims, but I don’t think that gonna happen based off of the escape pricing.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

what makes me made is that the baby bronco is what the real escape should have been. It’s basically a continuation of the 2nd gen escape, yet now they want to slap the bronco name on it and charge me a premium. I wonder what kind of premium ford thinks it can charge. As I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn’t pay anywhere near the MSRP of 29k for the escape se I drove (can’t comment on sel or titanium, maybe they are worth the extra money). If ford thinks it can charge that for a basic escape, I’d hate to see what they think they can get for the baby bronco.

Its not going to be an extra $4-5K for a product like that-more like $1-3K markup with an apples to apples comparison with the Escape equipment wise. That little extra amount is that little extra bit of $$$ they might lose when they put a rebate on the Escape to help move it. Since the 2013 redesign, the Escape has had wacked out pricing on it, starting with a fully loaded SEL costing more then an base model Ti and my wife's 2017 SE model having more options (front power seats vs drivers only on my parents 2013 Ti) to the decontenting of the 2019MY that it makes almost no sense as to what they where doing with it. I'm hoping the 2020 is a reset that they can stick to. 

The other thing is that people here entirely nickpick things to death, assuming the average consumer does also. While some things might be justified, some of the arguments are they sky is falling type of things. 

17 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Its not going to be an extra $4-5K for a product like that-more like $1-3K markup with an apples to apples comparison with the Escape equipment wise.

If they make the Baby Bronco in Mexico, they should make a comparable profit, selling it at no markup compared to Escape.

My question would be if there will be added cargo room due to the squared instead of sloping rear like the Escape.

Baby Bronco should have more ground clearance, bigger tires, more sophisticated AWD with some off road capabilities - just like Cherokee but with an edgier body more like Renegade.

It's the styling and the look that's going to hook people.  If it's something they can't get elsewhere then they will pay a small premium for it.  More importantly it won't have much direct competition.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

My question would be if there will be added cargo room due to the squared instead of sloping rear like the Escape.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who wants "utility" in a CUV/SUV. Last weekend, I needed to bring home a 29" tall x 30" x 34" box from Costco, these "sloping" roof lines really limit what can be loaded-in thru the hatch.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

If they make the Baby Bronco in Mexico, they should make a comparable profit, selling it at no markup compared to Escape.

If you can make even more money on it, why not? That is stupid to leave money on the table and without being an accountant with Ford, there is really no way to tell...we don't know if its a difference of $100 bucks per vehicle or if its $1000 if its built in Mexico. From  what automakers have been saying, the price of American UAW vs non-UAW workers has shrunk-plus there are sunk costs that no matter where you build it, you still have to cover and lower end/cheaper products have less wiggle room for that type of stuff. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Baby Bronco should have more ground clearance, bigger tires, more sophisticated AWD with some off road capabilities - just like Cherokee but with an edgier body more like Renegade.

It's the styling and the look that's going to hook people.  If it's something they can't get elsewhere then they will pay a small premium for it.  More importantly it won't have much direct competition.

do you think awd will be standard? 

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Its not going to be an extra $4-5K for a product like that-more like $1-3K markup with an apples to apples comparison with the Escape equipment wise. That little extra amount is that little extra bit of $$$ they might lose when they put a rebate on the Escape to help move it. Since the 2013 redesign, the Escape has had wacked out pricing on it, starting with a fully loaded SEL costing more then an base model Ti and my wife's 2017 SE model having more options (front power seats vs drivers only on my parents 2013 Ti) to the decontenting of the 2019MY that it makes almost no sense as to what they where doing with it. I'm hoping the 2020 is a reset that they can stick to. 

The other thing is that people here entirely nickpick things to death, assuming the average consumer does also. While some things might be justified, some of the arguments are they sky is falling type of things. 

Internally, Ford was talking $4k-$5k higher prices with 2.0 EB/ AWD standard. It is also expecting around 150k annual sales.

Is this unreasonable?

probably not in the eyes of genuine buyers 

Will  price ultimately prove to be self limiting to sales?
I think that’s the whole objective with every Ford product 

I’m glad Ford is trying diversity instead of copying the 40k/ mth Escape route, something tells me that two completely different bodies will work so much better than one, the only concern I have is Ford’s pricing policy. The good part is that if prices are wrong, that can be changed overnight, wrong products take much longer.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Internally, Ford was talking $4k-$5k higher prices with 2.0 EB/ AWD standard. It is also expecting around 150k annual sales.

Is this unreasonable?

probably not in the eyes of genuine buyers 

Will  price ultimately prove to be self limiting to sales?
I think that’s the whole objective with every Ford product 

I’m glad Ford is trying diversity instead of copying the 40k/ mth Escape route, something tells me that two completely different bodies will work so much better than one, the only concern I have is Ford’s pricing policy. The good part is that if prices are wrong, that can be changed overnight, wrong products take much longer.

that would be roughly starting at 30k and topping out at around 45k. The addition of awd and the 2.0 will help ease the pain of the premium price but hopefully it has better materials or at least an interior design that hides the cheaper materials better.

44 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

that would be roughly starting at 30k and topping out at around 45k. The addition of awd and the 2.0 will help ease the pain of the premium price but hopefully it has better materials or at least an interior design that hides the cheaper materials better.

Have you seen the design that's been released so far?  This is a completely different vehicle from Escape.  Completely.

631600.jpgI remember this pic, but I haven’t seen any other.  Can’t tell much but it has the same steering wheel and AC controls. Maybe the same IP, but I can’t really tell. To me it looks like it has a tablet style touchscreen (basing this on the fact that the touchscreen appears to be higher than the hood of the IP). There’s holes for the AC vents on the side of the screen, but I can’t tell if those are real or fake. If the vents are on the side, what would they put in the area where the escape has its vents? It looks like it’s a good 7-8 inches of space from the touchscreen down to the AC knob. That’s a lot of area to just try and fill with radio controls.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

that would be roughly starting at 30k and topping out at around 45k. 

$45K?  Bwhahahaha.

After discounts I paid $46K for my V8 Grand Cherokee High Altitude (it's higher end and has tons of options).  I couldn't fathom paying $45K for a tough Escape. 

4 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

$45K?  Bwhahahaha.

After discounts I paid $46K for my V8 Grand Cherokee High Altitude (it's higher end and has tons of options).  I couldn't fathom paying $45K for a tough Escape. 

the escape tops out at just over 40k. 

35 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

$45K?  Bwhahahaha.

The 45K number was an MSRP estimate...did you pay MSRP for your V8 Grand Cherokee?? Of course you didn't...discounts would invariably be had for the "tough Escape" too...

8 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who wants "utility" in a CUV/SUV. Last weekend, I needed to bring home a 29" tall x 30" x 34" box from Costco, these "sloping" roof lines really limit what can be loaded-in thru the hatch.

HRG

truck 2.jpg

That's why they make these. I hauled a sleeper sofa, a recliner, and a chest freezer to the landfill last Thursday. And I didn't have to worry about the slope of the roof.

I've owned CUVs in the past, but I won't in the future unless I also have an actual truck.

Edited by MY93SHO

5 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

truck 2.jpg

That's why they make these. I hauled a sleeper sofa, a recliner, and a chest freezer to the landfill last Thursday. And I didn't have to worry about the slope of the roof.

I've owned CUVs in the past, but I won't in the future unless I also have an actual truck.

I tend to agree with you there.  Although our F150 will likely be replaced by an Expedition within a year or so, I will miss the ability to load up the bed.  Love your truck btw, I’ve always been a fan of the 2 tone scheme, especially the Blue+Tan/Stone gray/whatever.  

18 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

If the Baby Bronco costs that much, it’s going to be stepping on the toes of the Edge and regular Bronco itself. That would mean the Bronco would be $35-40k to start. 

Keep in mind that baby Bronco entry point is also higher equipped to begin with and the upper trims may be a lot less to keep buyers in a certain zone as a way of giving Bronco product space.

17 hours ago, twintornados said:

The 45K number was an MSRP estimate...did you pay MSRP for your V8 Grand Cherokee?? Of course you didn't...discounts would invariably be had for the "tough Escape" too...

True.  Right now there is about $5,000 off the 2020 Escape Titanium (brings it down to $35K) at dealers by me.  

17 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

If the Baby Bronco costs that much, it’s going to be stepping on the toes of the Edge and regular Bronco itself. That would mean the Bronco would be $35-40k to start. 

Ranger starts at $24,410 according to the Ford website. I could see Bronco starting as low as $26k and as high as $30k for a base model. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ranger starts at $24,410 according to the Ford website. I could see Bronco starting as low as $26k and as high as $30k for a base model. 

What’s a base 4wd start at, I would imagine that they won’t offer two wheel drive bronco

Edited by pictor
Update comment

7 minutes ago, pictor said:

What’s a base 4wd start at, I would imagine that they won’t offer two wheel drive bronco

Actually looked, supercab 4x4 is nearly 29,000 and super crew is nearly 31,000, I figure bronco will start 31,000 for the two door, 34,000 for the four door.  

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

22 minutes ago, pictor said:

Actually looked, supercab 4x4 is nearly 29,000 and super crew is nearly 31,000, I figure bronco will start 31,000 for the two door, 34,000 for the four door.  

Think Explorer pricing spread  for base, mid and upper halo trim. Lots of sticker shock. I can see Ford’s pricing being a big issue this year and the next.

Edited by jpd80