'19 Year End Sale Totals

Amazing, 3 weeks ago there was argument over how fords interiors were velvety smooth and rich (add engineering marvels) while this day ford's interior has gotten too cheap....interiors are crushing ford right now in the market-they are that bad....next conversation hacket has on the phone with VW execs he can ask what to do to rectify that...the "partnership" is a lot closer than is reported/known

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, snooter said:

Amazing, 3 weeks ago there was argument over how fords interiors were velvety smooth and rich (add engineering marvels) while this day ford's interior has gotten too cheap....interiors are crushing ford right now in the market-they are that bad....next conversation hacket has on the phone with VW execs he can ask what to do to rectify that...the "partnership" is a lot closer than is reported/known

I hope you are wrong about that. VW has some of the most boring interiors I’ve ever seen.

50 minutes ago, snooter said:

Amazing, 3 weeks ago there was argument over how fords interiors were velvety smooth and rich (add engineering marvels) while this day ford's interior has gotten too cheap

The velvety smooth and rich interiors designed by Ford all go into Lincoln vehicles. Ford branded vehicles (other than maybe high trim F-Series and Expeditions like King Ranch and a few high end Chinese Ford cars) had cheap interiors for a long time.

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

Since the first example caused some blood vessels to burst, here's another one (not quite as much discount, but more than being discussed here):  https://www.akinsford.com/vehicle-details/2020-ford-escape-se-winder-ga-id-33210127

They basically have to because the Equinox can be had for about $4K-$5K less, the base model is going for under $20k on some lots. 

Equinox is basically Focus/Cruze prices and doing a crap ton of business, 37,000 sales last month to Escape's 18,500 odd sales. I know people think the Escape is better but selling an I-3 Ecoboost is hard work when people start asking where the four cylinder went.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Since the first example caused some blood vessels to burst, here's another one (not quite as much discount, but more than being discussed here):  https://www.akinsford.com/vehicle-details/2020-ford-escape-se-winder-ga-id-33210127

Akins Ford's pricing display is in direct violation of Ford's new Ad Standards Program that states particular requirements for advertised vehicle prices, including incentives, for vehicles that are invoiced on or after January 6, 2020. My comments here are using the displayed/linked vehicle as an example and not just for this Dealer but for all dealerships. 

FORD AD STANDARDS PROGRAM
There are four requirements dealers must comply with in order to remain eligible for payment under this voluntary Advertising Standards program. The full detail of these requirements are shown in Attachment I, but can be summarized as follows:
     o Clearly disclose any stacked incentives in the body of the ad and refrain from stacking multiple conditional offers.
     o Not use language that implies distressed inventory.
     o Refrain from language that implies the dealer has a Company-supported advantage over other dealers.
     o Must include Destination & Delivery charge (D&D) and all other customer charges in advertised vehicle price.
 All four requirements apply to the content of advertising, and there is NOT a minimum advertised price limitation associated with Ad Standards.
 Ad Standards apply to all media forms including, but not limited to, broadcast media, digital advertising, search engine marketing, dealer websites, direct mail/e-mail, social media, SMS marketing, etc.

Failure to comply with the requirements of the Ad Standards program will result in the suspension of payment of the dealer’s accrued Ad Standards funds.

The accrued Ad Standards funds are equal to 1% of the MSRP less Destination & Delivery. Holdback is now 2% vs. the previous 3% of MSRP.

Ford the sample vehicle... A Dealer cannot simply advertise "$5,000 Savings" deducted from the MSRP without disclosing what is included in the $5,000 "Savings". They must disclose what rebate incentives and amounts are included, etc. Any conditional offers must be clearly identified and disclosed. 

The new Ad Standards Program is in place to eliminate what many would consider to be deceptive advertising practices at some or many dealerships. Dealers violating the new program risk losing a substantial amount of funds available from Ford.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

They basically have to because the Equinox can be had for about $4K-$5K less, the base model is going for under $20k on some lots. 

Equinox is basically Focus/Cruze prices and doing a crap ton of business, 37,000 sales last month to Escape's 18,500 odd sales. I know people think the Escape is better but selling an I-3 Ecoboost is hard work when people start asking where the four cylinder went.

And the void ford left is getting filled by others in that $20k and near price range...this should not be a surprise..

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

We have to remember that auto enthusiasts think about vehicles every day. Most people think about them only when it is time to trade in their old vehicle.

The 'shock' of a 3 cylinder engine to someone who doesn't keep up, could easily be a deterent.

Just imagine someone cross-shopping Escape and Equinox. The Chevy dealer is going to first bring up the price advantage, and then tell them the Escape only has a little dinky 3 cylinder that has no buisiness in a CUV. They may never even get to the Ford delear to do a test drive after that!

27 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

In all Seriousness, how many people are going to actually notice the I3 in it?

Anyone and everyone who drives an Escape 1.5L 3-cylinder. The obnoxious noise and vibration produced by that engine won't "escape" notice. ;)

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, snooter said:

Is the 3cyl a derivative of the geo metro?....we had 1 guy in town who seemingly found another when he smoked the previous motor...honestly i had no idea they had a 3cyl....but escape is non-existant on my lust list of daily grocery getter so theres that

WTF are you talking about?

48 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

In all Seriousness, how many people are going to actually notice the I3 in it?

My point is that every Chevy salesman will know this.

Even if the I3 is better suited than the Equinox's I4, average customers will think they are paying more and getting less with the Escape. They may never even bother to test drive one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

Even if the I3 is better suited than the Equinox's I4, average customers will think they are paying more and getting less with the Escape. They may never even bother to test drive one.

Probably 1/2 of sales people I have had over the years just make shit up that is completely false, or talk bad about features that they don't have on their lot. 

The Equinox sells because its super cheap to lease, also in the past 6 months if you get a rental SUV you've got a good chance it is going to be one.

24 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

I know it's a different market, but that argument hasn't hurt F-150 at all.

41 minutes ago, snooter said:

Is the 3cyl a derivative of the geo metro?

No sir. Ford 1.5L Ecoboost 3-cylinder is based on Ford's Dragon engine originally introduced in 2017. It is not related to Suzuki G engine used in Geo Metro.

Edited by rperez817

15 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The Equinox sells because its super cheap to lease

This matters so much more than people realize on the lower end of the market.  Ford probably makes more on 15K Escapes than GM makes on 40K Equinoxes.

Fusion and Focus were built on premium platforms with Titanium versions that did well initially, but towards the end people were buying mainly low end SE models with huge rebates.  Now some of that was because the product was old but a lot had to do with premium buyers moving to utilities.   I think the new Escape is better positioned to compete on the low end IF NECESSARY but they're going to try to keep it out of the low end price wars even at the expense of sales volume.

• Like 2

When publications as disparate as Car and Driver and Consumer Reports pan the noise level and overall refinement of the three-cylinder Escape (particularly in view of the asking price), I'd say that there is more going on here than people not wanting to accept something new and/or different.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, grbeck said:

When publications as disparate as Car and Driver and Consumer Reports pan the noise level and overall refinement of the three-cylinder Escape (particularly in view of the asking price), I'd say that there is more going on here than people not wanting to accept something new and/or different.

Yes sir. The same publications and other professional reviewers praised the 2.0L Ecoboost 4-cylinder and hybrid versions of the Escape. Car and Driver's testing found that Escape Hybrid actually had better NVH suppression than RAV4 Hybrid, which is one reason why it won a comparison test against that Toyota.

For people interested in a 2020 Escape, SE Sport Hybrid seems to be the sweet spot.

• Like 1