5.0 "tick"

Eel

I have been inactive here as far as commenting, but have a serious question.  Does anyone know how many 5.0 engines have actually experienced the ticking problem and then leading to engine failures?  On social media and Youtube it would appear that this is common, but I have my doubts.  I think the 5.0 is a good strong engine and maybe this issue is being pushed out of proportion.

My most recent purchase was a new Edge Titanium in 2018.  I am considering getting another Mustang V8, but would I be better off getting a used one built before the "tick" became an issue?  Any sound advice is appreciated.

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Just remember, the people who are going to complain will ALWAYS be louder than the happy majority.

That said, there was an issue with early 2018 Mustangs with the 5.0 and it was addressed. I don't know what the fix ended up being though. 

As far as I know, the "fix" was for Ford to issue a bulletin stating that it was normal.   It has nothing to do with early models....it has been a characteristic of the Coyote engine since 2011 and continues with the 2020 models although not all do it.    The 2018 and later Coyotes have direct injection which is inherently noisy and they have a composite oil pan which makes any noises more prominent.   If Eel wants a Mustang V8 with an automatic, I urge him to get a 2018+ model.   The 10 speed and 460 HP engine are phenomenal.    If planning to get a manual transmission, many prefer the version prior to 2018.    The 2018+ models do have other advantages, though.    I have included the bulletin from Ford below.

2/5/2019 7718 - 2011-2019 Mustang/F-150 - 5.0L Tick Tap And/or Typewriter Noise At Idle

Some 2011-2019 Mustang and F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as typewriter noise because of its similarity to the sound of a mechanical typewriter. The noise in question may be heard on some engines when engine temperatures reach 150°F (65°C) or higher and engine speed is at idle up to approximately 1700 RPM's. It can typically be heard at the front wheel well, and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area. typewriter noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability and has no short or long term effects on the engine. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.

Edited by brucelinc

On 1/8/2020 at 9:23 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

there was something with the early 2018s that was causing failure on the left side of the engine. I can't remember what the source was traced to but something was changed and it was fixed. 

They were dropping valves and locking the engine up. Haven't heard of any 19s or 20s doing it yet. 

Eel, the tick that is discussed so much on Youtube and many forums is what I pointed out in my post above.    It has proven to be pretty much a non-issue as far as reliability is concerned.    There are reports of it on all years of the Coyote in Mustangs as well as F 150s.

33 minutes ago, brucelinc said:

Eel, the tick that is discussed so much on Youtube and many forums is what I pointed out in my post above.    It has proven to be pretty much a non-issue as far as reliability is concerned.    There are reports of it on all years of the Coyote in Mustangs as well as F 150s.

I have a 2013 work truck that has 223k miles on a 5.0 with the idle tick. Only notice it in bank drive thru. It’s the original engine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys just looking for some input from actual coyote owners, I really want a 2020 mustang gt im just about to pull the trigger and buy one. However im in mixed emotions with reading about the type writer ticks and the mt82 trans I really want the car but I am fearful about having issues once im 50,000 into it just looking for some input thank you.

Edited by Devnard

On 7/1/2020 at 1:08 AM, Devnard said:

Hey guys just looking for some input from actual coyote owners, I really want a 2020 mustang gt im just about to pull the trigger and buy one. However im in mixed emotions with reading about the type writer ticks and the mt82 trans I really want the car but I am fearful about having issues once im 50,000 into it just looking for some input thank you.

I never have heard about a MY 2018, 2019, 2020 having this issue.

And I'm driving my 2018 more than 60.000 km without any ticking.

13 minutes ago, DieterG said:

I never have heard about a MY 2018, 2019, 2020 having this issue.

And I'm driving my 2018 more than 60.000 km without any ticking.

They are all prone to it. Some don't, but an awful lot do. 18s also had a high rate of dropped valves before the first oil change. See a lot of F150 using oil as well.  

23 hours ago, coupe3w said:

Does Ford actually know what causes it?

The ones I've heard sure sound like they're coming from the cam phasers, but I am not sure as we aren't allowed to fix them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was under the impression that the infamous 'tick' started with the elimination of the iron sleeves, but apparently not. Now, the 'tick' is not normal, in the sense that engines shouldn't do that noise. It's obviously a tolerance issue. But why doesn't Ford say what it is??? And more importantly, why it hasn't been fixed? Even if it's not detrimental to the engine, it's extremely annoying, and even embarrassing. I don't get that attitude. Having said that, I took the risk trading my like-new 2018 F-150 Platinum with the 3.5EB (that's when the V8s were having issues left and right), for a 2019 Bullitt with an August 2019 build date, to clear the tensioner TSB. It just turned 1K miles today, and so far engine sounds great. But hope it stays that way ?.

Hey guys, on a similar note, do any of you know what the heck is the other infamous engine noise prevalent on these engines: The 2K-rpm rattle??? This one apparently all engines have it, but you have to turn stereo off and quiet the exhaust to hear it, so some folks say they don't. I was one of them until I did those 2 things, and BAM! The annoying noise as there. At least it's drowned with one or both of those 2 things turned on, so not a huge deal. But still want to know what it is. Some say cavitation from the engine-driven HPFP. Others that it's the cam phasers. Hopefully somebody has an answer ?. Thank you. 

Edited by elptxjc

• 1 month later...

I know this has been written about a million times.  I have a '19 GT Prem, 401A, Cal. Spec car bought in late June of '19.

Just under 1,100 miles.  I had the "infamous tick" lots of the time...not all.  I just changed oil and put in Mobil 1, 5 w 20.

So, this is just my story and I really have nothing to add....other than this.  After the oil change my ticking is gone.  Now it 

sounds more like the nasty engine that it is.  Yes, we ALL will have the fuel injector ticking sounds that is common with the

high pressure fuel injection system.  But, other than that it sounds soooo much better and I like it.  

I was never concerned about the ticking sound....just didn't like hearing it.  I hope it stays gone.  This is my 11th Mustang and

2nd Coyote.  Last was a '14 that didn't have any "weird ticking" sounds.  Going for the Mach 1 next.  Top of list for an order to

be put through on Oct. 12th.  Got my  GM's written assurance that he will NOT charge over MSRP for whatever I order.  May 

even get their BS "Handling  Charge" removed since he and all of us here know is nothing more than added profit, and I never

pay it.  Same with my Acuras.  I always tell them...not paying it.  Take it off.  And they do.  Repeat customer helps too!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an '18 F-150 with the 5.0L with just over 21k miles and I'm not even sure I can describe all the embarrassing noises it makes, usually at cold idle but not always. I don't pay any attention to the "typewriter tick" anymore because of all the other, much louder rattles, taps and clangs. I assume they are related to the cam phasers, the timing chain tensioners, the high pressure fuel pump for the direct injection, the 12:1 compression ratio or the PTWA spray bore cylinder liners or a combination of all of the above.... or something completely different. Who knows besides Ford's engineers? Some of those were changes made between the gen 2 and gen 3 so those would be the most likely culprits. And BTW, every engine with individual fuel injectors has a "ticking" sound and so did the first two generations of the Coyote. The gen 3 (2018 and newer) makes other, more annoying sounds.

I also have the 2000 rpm rattle which only happens when in gear and moving but usually not under heavy load.

And I change my oil every 5000 miles or less and I also use Mobil 1 5W20 and a Motorcraft FL-500S filter.

I honestly believe Ford knows exactly how to build an acceptably quiet engine but obviously doesn't believe it is a big enough issue to make any effort to do so with the Coyote. I also have to assume that the cost to redesign the Coyote to make it less embarrassing to drive would be prohibitive. Otherwise they would have done so by now, or at least I hope so. As long as people keep buying them, why bother, right?

And yes, there are people who are willing to accept the sound of a diesel engine because they want the other things that a diesel does well. That was never really the case with modern, gasoline powered engines. It's called controlling NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness). Apparently Ford wants to change that with the gen 3 Coyote.

I otherwise like this truck but there is something called "pride in ownership" which Ford has also apparently dismissed with the gen 3 Coyote.

I made this video a couple of year or so ago when my car was near new.   I wanted to document the sound after a cold start so I would have a baseline in case it ever developed knocking, ticking or other unusual noises.    So far, it hasn't changed.   Other than much more exhaust noise, I am not sure the engine is any louder than my 3.0 Twin Turbo Lincoln.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

TSB as an FYI

2/5/2019 7718 - 2011-2019 Mustang/F-150 - 5.0L Tick Tap And/or Typewriter Noise At Idle

Some 2011-2019 Mustang and F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as typewriter noise because of its similarity to the sound of a mechanical typewriter. The noise in question may be heard on some engines when engine temperatures reach 150°F (65°C) or higher and engine speed is at idle up to approximately 1700 RPM's. It can typically be heard at the front wheel well, and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area. typewriter noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability and has no short or long term effects on the engine. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.

19 minutes ago, 5.2 VooDoo said:

TSB as an FYI

Some 2011-2019 Mustang and F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as typewriter noise because of its similarity to the sound of a mechanical typewriter. The noise in question may be heard on some engines when engine temperatures reach 150°F (65°C) or higher and engine speed is at idle up to approximately 1700 RPM's. It can typically be heard at the front wheel well, and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area. typewriter noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability and has no short or long term effects on the engine. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.

If it is a "characteristic" of the 5.0L engine of those years than why don't they all do it? Asking for a friend.