More 2020 Explorer issues...

So first, teo recalls thus far, the the trans coolers leaking..

Then we mentioned about this thud sound whenever you go over bumps.  It is not suspension related as many have had struts/shocks replaced and it not fixing it.  Ford has done several buy backs because of this sound.  Seems it is only 4wd vehicles and it is many of them and not one dealer has been able to solve the problem.  Once you hear it (mine does it), you cant ignore it.  Very annoying to hear this anytime you go over bumps (think several frost heaves on a row and you hear thud, thud, thud).

Now we have found that these Explorers have been coming off the line with missing parts.  

There is an air deflector supposed to be installed on the ST and it is missing, it covers the rear section.  Here is the part and what it looks like without it and with. I already posted about the tow hook which some argue isnt included even though it says in the manual it is included and there is a cutout for it to sit in the spare tire well.

Good luck to me fighting Ford after 5 months of ownership to get this part ordered and installed.  With the suspension issue (drivetrain more likely), I believe I will be persuing a buyback as well.  Will most likely go for an Aviator if we end up going this direction.

Seems like design flaws and we already know that QC is lacking... but missing parts.  Love this vehicle.. Ford really needs to get their act together.

20200108_155125.jpg

Air Deflector 2.png

Air Deflector.png

• Like 1

All these issues and you're going to buy the same vehicle made in the same factory?

Related, it's a shame Ford won't get the employees (or more likely management) in line at Chicago.  These products are too important for this kind of utter nonsense.

Edited by sho94_2000
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sho94_2000 said:

All these issues and you're going to buy the same vehicle made in the same factory?

Related, it's a shame Ford won't get the employees (or more likely management) in line at Chicago.  These products are too important for this kind of utter nonsense.

If I go LL, it will take a few months and likely be into the 21MY.  As far as the Aviator, there has not been 1 member with the driveline clunk/thud.  No clue where it is coming from but there seems to be a difference between the Explorer and Aviator in this regard.

I am covered for 8yr/150k but I'm not going to live with this sound every time I drive.

With the amount of buy backs there have been already, I'm shocked Ford engineers havent figured it out yet.

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

If I go LL, it will take a few months and likely be into the 21MY.  As far as the Aviator, there has not been 1 member with the driveline clunk/thud.  No clue where it is coming from but there seems to be a difference between the Explorer and Aviator in this regard.

I am covered for 8yr/150k but I'm not going to live with this sound every time I drive.

With the amount of buy backs there have been already, I'm shocked Ford engineers havent figured it out yet.

With what you paid you shouldn't have to use any of the 8 year warranty.  STs ain't cheap.  But I agree I would not want to put up with a noise like that whether its a Versa or a $60K+ Explorer

3 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Where are you seeing these complaints? Do all the vehicles share the same tire size/type/brand? 

42 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

Where are you seeing these complaints? Do all the vehicles share the same tire size/type/brand? 

Parts missing

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-this-part-air-deflector-missing-in-most-early-production-sts.484539/

Suspension/driveline clunks 

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/multiple-suspension-noises.482694/

Paint issues (example below)

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2020-paint-issues.484052/

HVAC issues

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/hvac-issue.483578/

Battery drain - dead batteries

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/deep-sleep-mode-battery-drain-issue.482067/

How does this pass QC?

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/drove-my-new-platinum-off-the-dealer-lot-with-non-functional-signal-light.484332/

Wiper streak issues

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/bad-wiper-blades.483227/

These are the most recent and/or active threads with issues being experienced.  Suspension one has several buybacks with no fix.. cant even figure out what is doing it.

20191229_112719.jpg

Edited by blwnsmoke

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

On the surface, you’re not wrong, but what if you hit a pothole and break a strut? Should the warranty not cover that? 

I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying.  In your scenario wouldn't that be the end user's responsibility anyway?  

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

Holy cow.  I know the quality was bad but not this bad.  Couldn't pay me to own one...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying.  In your scenario wouldn't that be the end user's responsibility anyway?  

traffic in front of you swerves at the last second, making it impossible for you to miss it

or late at night on a dark road with no lights other than your headlights like what happened to me. come to think of it that's happened to me with 3 different cars. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

10 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

So first, teo recalls thus far, the the trans coolers leaking..

Then we mentioned about this thud sound whenever you go over bumps.  It is not suspension related as many have had struts/shocks replaced and it not fixing it.  Ford has done several buy backs because of this sound.  Seems it is only 4wd vehicles and it is many of them and not one dealer has been able to solve the problem.  Once you hear it (mine does it), you cant ignore it.  Very annoying to hear this anytime you go over bumps (think several frost heaves on a row and you hear thud, thud, thud).

Now we have found that these Explorers have been coming off the line with missing parts.  

There is an air deflector supposed to be installed on the ST and it is missing, it covers the rear section.  Here is the part and what it looks like without it and with. I already posted about the tow hook which some argue isnt included even though it says in the manual it is included and there is a cutout for it to sit in the spare tire well.

Good luck to me fighting Ford after 5 months of ownership to get this part ordered and installed.  With the suspension issue (drivetrain more likely), I believe I will be persuing a buyback as well.  Will most likely go for an Aviator if we end up going this direction.

Seems like design flaws and we already know that QC is lacking... but missing parts.  Love this vehicle.. Ford really needs to get their act together.

20200108_155125.jpg

Air Deflector 2.png

Air Deflector.png

Ok, so I’ve been meaning to post for a while about the 2020 Explorer.  On Thanksgiving my wife got a new ST to replace her Infinity QX80. For whatever reason she refused to look at the Lincoln products, although I was trying to convince her to get a Navigator or Aviator.  So when she wouldn’t look at Lincoln I tried to steer her to do the Expedition, but she wanted to go to a smaller vehicle so we started looking at the Explorer . She had the previous generation Sport so she opted for the ST.  

I was pretty apprehensive about buying a first your model after a change, but that’s what she wanted so that’s what we got. 

Fortunately, a lot of the early complaints with the paint, fit, and finish weren’t present.  With that said, it certainly isn’t without fault.  1,700 miles later the Sync system has lags and lock ups which I believe is going to require an APIM replacement, since its had multiple hard and soft reboots that don’t eliminate the problem.  There is a vibration at high speeds, presumably out of balance tires. My wife complained about the windshield wipers streaking. The cup holder had scratches in it from the factory, and one of the power window switch has a sharp edge that can cut you. 

Lastly, there is a thump noise coming from the back area of the vehicle.  I don’t think mine is coming from the front area like others have been experienced.  It is like a major amplification of every joint in the road.  It’s hard to explain, but my wife and son said they don’t hear it, however it stands out to me so much that I can subtly hear it with the radio on but I have to turn it up loud to drown it out somewhat. It bothers me enough that I don’t like to drive the car.

So I thought I was either hearing things or something is actually up. After reading this post from you in the other Explorer forum, I learned that I wasn’t losing my mind:

“I'm beginning to think they all have this issue but people do not hear it. Driving last night it is all I could hear over the damn frost heaves in my area. I asked my wife who was in the passenger seat (never told her about this issue) if she heard it... radio off, HVAC off, just listen.. and she says (it's the tires hitting the bumps. 

Told her no, you shouldn't hear thuds over and over when hitting bumps. So 8,300 miles, she does not hear it, I do. I never noticed it sooner because the radio is loud enough to overcome it.”

I wanted to drive another ST to see if I hear the same sound, but haven’t gotten there yet.  For the record, we haven’t given Ford an opportunity to fix anything yet, so hopefully they will have solutions.  I would be thrilled if someone had received a fix for the noise already. 

I wish We would have gotten the Expedition since it’s been in production for 2 years to avoid first year growing pains, but she didn’t listen. 

6 hours ago, tbone said:

...On Thanksgiving my wife got a new ST to replace her Infinity QX80. For whatever reason she refused to look at the Lincoln products, although I was trying to convince her to get a Navigator or Aviator.  

Odd, coming from Nissan's Infinity brand your wife wouldn't want to even look at Ford's Lincoln brand. I follow the Lincoln boards pretty closely (I have a Nautilus) and while the Aviator also had a very rocky start I haven't seen anything near to the kind of continuing problems that I read about with the Explorer. The interiors of the new Lincolns are absolutely sumptuous and they come standard with the engine your wife wanted to upgrade to. Going for the ST on the Explorer would have put her up into Aviator pricing levels in any case.

Edited by Gurgeh

7 hours ago, tbone said:

Ok, so I’ve been meaning to post for a while about the 2020 Explorer.  On Thanksgiving my wife got a new ST to replace her Infinity QX80. For whatever reason she refused to look at the Lincoln products, although I was trying to convince her to get a Navigator or Aviator.  So when she wouldn’t look at Lincoln I tried to steer her to do the Expedition, but she wanted to go to a smaller vehicle so we started looking at the Explorer . She had the previous generation Sport so she opted for the ST.  

I was pretty apprehensive about buying a first your model after a change, but that’s what she wanted so that’s what we got. 

Fortunately, a lot of the early complaints with the paint, fit, and finish weren’t present.  With that said, it certainly isn’t without fault.  1,700 miles later the Sync system has lags and lock ups which I believe is going to require an APIM replacement, since its had multiple hard and soft reboots that don’t eliminate the problem.  There is a vibration at high speeds, presumably out of balance tires. My wife complained about the windshield wipers streaking. The cup holder had scratches in it from the factory, and one of the power window switch has a sharp edge that can cut you. 

Lastly, there is a thump noise coming from the back area of the vehicle.  I don’t think mine is coming from the front area like others have been experienced.  It is like a major amplification of every joint in the road.  It’s hard to explain, but my wife and son said they don’t hear it, however it stands out to me so much that I can subtly hear it with the radio on but I have to turn it up loud to drown it out somewhat. It bothers me enough that I don’t like to drive the car.

So I thought I was either hearing things or something is actually up. After reading this post from you in the other Explorer forum, I learned that I wasn’t losing my mind:

“I'm beginning to think they all have this issue but people do not hear it. Driving last night it is all I could hear over the damn frost heaves in my area. I asked my wife who was in the passenger seat (never told her about this issue) if she heard it... radio off, HVAC off, just listen.. and she says (it's the tires hitting the bumps. 

Told her no, you shouldn't hear thuds over and over when hitting bumps. So 8,300 miles, she does not hear it, I do. I never noticed it sooner because the radio is loud enough to overcome it.”

I wanted to drive another ST to see if I hear the same sound, but haven’t gotten there yet.  For the record, we haven’t given Ford an opportunity to fix anything yet, so hopefully they will have solutions.  I would be thrilled if someone had received a fix for the noise already. 

I wish We would have gotten the Expedition since it’s been in production for 2 years to avoid first year growing pains, but she didn’t listen. 

Sharp window switches.... like mine...   it will slice your finger open as you said.

A few other Explorer forum members have the same thing happening.

There was a member who drove 3 others on the lot and they all made the clunking noise.  It was at that time he decided to take the buy back and go elsewhere.

I am willing to give Ford a little time to figure it out.  We really love the ST..  the power, handling, braking, cornering, comfort etc is all great.  Drives very well in snow even with factory 21s..  driving dynamics of the red are awesome.  It is far better then our 2011 as far as enjoyment.

I also shut the fake engine noise off and it is far more enjoyable and quiet without listening to that.

But I want to put Ford on notice because we only have so long to go LL and if Ford doesnt come up with a fix by then, it's gone.  We do over 20k a year in mileage so it wont take long to get there.

20200110_084725.jpg

Edited by blwnsmoke

4 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Odd, coming from Nissan's Infinity brand your wife wouldn't want to even look at Ford's Lincoln brand. I follow the Lincoln boards pretty closely (I have a Nautilus) and while the Aviator also had a very rocky start I haven't seen anything near to the kind of continuing problems that I read about with the Explorer. The interiors of the new Lincolns are absolutely sumptuous and they come standard with the engine your wife wanted to upgrade to. Going for the ST on the Explorer would have put her up into Aviator pricing levels in any case.

Yep, I understand your point, and I lobbied very hard.  I showed her the Aviator and how IMO it was significantly better, but she refused  to consider it. I’m not sure if she associates it as being an old persons car (we aren’t exactly young) or what, but it was quite frustrating.

The QX80 was a very meh vehicle, and I wasn’t sad to see if go.  With that said I’m not appreciating these issues, that I feel are fairly significant.  

The Lincoln’s are definitely a step up from Infinity I think. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Sharp window switches.... like mine...   it will slice your finger open as you said.

A few other Explorer forum members have the same thing happening.

There was a member who drove 3 others on the lot and they all made the clunking noise.  It was at that time he decided to take the buy back and go elsewhere.

I am willing to give Ford a little time to figure it out.  We really love the ST..  the power, handling, braking, cornering, comfort etc is all great.  Drives very well in snow even with factory 21s..  driving dynamics of the red are awesome.  It is far better then our 2011 as far as enjoyment.

I also shut the fake engine noise off and it is far more enjoyable and quiet without listening to that.

But I want to put Ford on notice because we only have so long to go LL and if Ford doesnt come up with a fix by then, it's gone.  We do over 20k a year in mileage so it wont take long to get there.

20200110_084725.jpg

Im willing to give them time too figure it out too.  I like a lot things about the ST, including the front clip which some don’t here.  My wife likes the interior and I think it is fine, although it has been panned by some in the media.  I have checked out the interior of the Telluride and it was nice, although the little bridges around the center console look like scratch magnets to me. I expect that all of my issues, with the exception of the thumping, will be corrected on the first dealer visit. I’m really hoping the thump will be corrected in the short term though. 

How did you shut off the engine noise?  I haven’t explored that yet. 

16 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

traffic in front of you swerves at the last second, making it impossible for you to miss it

or late at night on a dark road with no lights other than your headlights like what happened to me. come to think of it that's happened to me with 3 different cars. 

In that scenario I would expect the financial burden would fall on the vehicles owner.

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why would the vehicle warranty pay for damage caused by a pothole or anything else you hit?  That’s insurance.

Because the vehicle should be able to handle potholes.

Dont show the vehicles off road if you can't drive on what has become normal city streets full of potholes.  Dont carefully it is the city or highway, it should be able to absorb and handle that type of situation.

A pothole is not owner abuse, its everyday normal use unfortunately.

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Because the vehicle should be able to handle potholes.

Dont show the vehicles off road if you can't drive on what has become normal city streets full of potholes.  Dont carefully it is the city or highway, it should be able to absorb and handle that type of situation.

A pothole is not owner abuse, its everyday normal use unfortunately.

And therefore wouldn't be covered under a warranty.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

And therefore wouldn't be covered under a warranty.

It absolutely would, normal everyday use is not the same as wear items that are only covered under the 1yr/12k warranty.  Normal everyday use of a vehicle ( not abused) is what the warranty DOES cover.

Edited by blwnsmoke