More 2020 Explorer issues...

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Well, it's news to me that wear items (presumably wipers, etc) are covered.

And also this is the first I've ever heard of someone doing damage to their vehicle (not their own fault, but still damage) and having it covered under a warranty.

The vibration problem in my Fusion (that also turned into a full transmission rebuild) turned out to be caused by a bent half shaft that was presumably caused by the shit-tastic roads around here, and the only thing I had to pay for was the oil change that was needed anyway. 

39 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

It absolutely would, normal everyday use is not the same as wear items that are only covered under the 1yr/12k warranty.  Normal everyday use of a vehicle ( not abused) is what the warranty DOES cover.

So if I hit a pothole and it pops the tire, bends the wheel and damages the front suspension you think Ford is going to cover that under warranty?

Seriously?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The vibration problem in my Fusion (that also turned into a full transmission rebuild) turned out to be caused by a bent half shaft that was presumably caused by the shit-tastic roads around here, and the only thing I had to pay for was the oil change that was needed anyway. 

You got lucky.  That is neither a defect in material or workmanship.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

So if I hit a pothole and it pops the tire, bends the wheel and damages the front suspension you think Ford is going to cover that under warranty?

Seriously?

Yeah that didn’t work for me.  I noticed a slight bulge in the sidewall on one of the tires on my 2017 Fusion Sport.  Car had 1000 miles on it, took it in for other warranty related items and the dealer would not cover the tire defect under warranty.  I never hit a pothole, I’m sure it was there when I bought it new.  I will be inspecting the next new vehicle I purchase in a manner rivaling a CSI team working a crime scene. 

Edited by 02MustangGT

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

Seriously?

We are not talking tires,we are talking suspension components.. those very things that are designed to move up and down when hitting bumps and absorb bad road conditions.  So yes, I fully expect a suspension component that fails from hitting a pot hole to be covered..  Seriously!!.

Tires, forget those, especially on a 45 series tire.  It is next to impossible to get a tire manufacturer to warranty anything on them even something as simple as mileage.

Edited by blwnsmoke

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Clearly you don't understand what the point of a warranty is or how they work 

Wow

Based on your logic I should be able to crash my vehicle into a cement wall because "traffic swerved and it was impossible to miss" and the warranty should cover it.

A warranty is a limited guarantee that your product will function as intended and is free of manufacturing defects.  It's not a damage insurance policy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

If it's defective, yes, but if you hit a large pothole going 40 mph and break something that's not a defective part that's a collision.

A collision... into the ground, wow.

You gonna sue the road for contributory negligence?

Edited by probowler

2 hours ago, probowler said:

A collision... into the ground, wow.

You gonna sue the road for contributory negligence?

No but you can sue the government that maintains the road if you can prove they were negligent about fixing it and didn’t take proper precautions to warn drivers.

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

No but you can sue the government that maintains the road if you can prove they were negligent about fixing it and didn’t take proper precautions to warn drivers.

Oh please, I live in a state who's governor vetoed a sizable amount of money from the state budget for road construction just to spite the republican controlled legislature. I'm better off suing my lawn because weeds grow in it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tbone said:

I forgot to mention before, our ST does have the air deflector. I’ll have to check for the tow hook. 

Does your ST have the standard 20" wheels, Street Pack or Track Pack?  I have the Street Pack and it doesn't have it.  The 2 on the dealer lot I checked (I updated the Explorer thread with pictures) both had the standard 20" wheels.

I checked 5 Explorer's on the lot, 2 STs, 1 Platinum, 1 XLT and 1 Limited.  The two Explorers with the 2.3 had the rear piece installed.  The 3 ST/Platinums with the 3.0 did not have it installed.  

Ford parts definitely shows it as being on there for the ST with the part number and cost.  And now that we confirmed yours had it, shows that all these vehicles have missing parts.

Edited by blwnsmoke

12 hours ago, akirby said:

It varies from state to state but in most states the government’s obligation is to fix the issue within 30 days of notification. If they were notified of the specific issue and did nothing and a vehicle was damaged past 30 days they can be held liable. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You’re right guys. I'll never use a factory warranty again

i have been enlightened 

Show me the language in any of Ford factory warranty terms where they cover swerving and crashing.

I've never heard of a factory warranty covering negligence like that.

1 hour ago, sho94_2000 said:

Well you said you had to swerve and then there was a crash (into a pothole I believe).  Someone was negligent, I never said you were.

But show me where damage caused by poor road maintenance is covered in the Ford factory warranty.

Again, poor road performance is a part of every day life these days.  The vehicles themselves should be designed to handle every day driving.  

THIS IS NOT ABUSE OR NEGLIGENCE.  

SUVs that are promoted to be off road vehicles should be handle to handle pot holes.  And if something breaks, it should be covered.  We are not talking about crashing or having an accident.  

And with that, I'd ask that we get back to the topic of 2020 issues rather than potholes.

Edited by blwnsmoke

3 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Again, poor road performance is a part of every day life these days.  The vehicles themselves should be designed to handle every day driving.  

THIS IS NOT ABUSE OR NEGLIGENCE.  

SUVs that are promoted to be off road vehicles should be handle to handle pot holes.  And if something breaks, it should be covered.  We are not talking about crashing or having an accident.  

And with that, I'd ask that we get back to the topic of 2020 issues rather than potholes.

"OFF ROAD" is usually done at lower speeds, and by definition on NON paved surfaces. It is FAR less violent to the suspension (tires, wheels, struts, control arms, tie rod ends, knuckles) than when you hit potholes. Completely different loading involved. If you can get your dealership to falsify warranty paperwork to cover it, more power to you. 

Now, as you asked,  back to the issue at hand of the thump noise. Are your tires set to the pressures listed on the placard in the door jam? Have them temporarily swap tires and wheels from another unit that DOES NOT have the same size/brand/type of tire. These things are quiet and it may just be tire noise due to the lower temperatures that harden the tire's rubber. Lower profile tires are especially prone to louder transitions over the type of bumps you describe as they have hard rubber to start with and very little sidewall to flex. Over or under pressurization due to temperature swing may amplify the issue as well.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

Show me the section in the Ford factory warranty documents where that is covered.

Yeah but he said “should be”.   It’s possible he knows a dealer that is willing to cover damage to suspension components caused by a surface imperfection in the road (or off-road).  Doubtful, but worth a try.   Sounds like he may have more serious issues to be concerned with related to that 2020 Explorer.  

4 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Again, poor road performance is a part of every day life these days.  The vehicles themselves should be designed to handle every day driving.  .

Other cars pulling out in front of you is a part of everyday driving.   Should Ford pay for that damage?

If you hit a pothole so large that it damages the suspension it’s no different than running into a curb.

Any dealer that fixes it under warranty is committing fraud.  That’s an insurance claim.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm a monster for using a warranty and my dealer is run by criminals

thats good to know 

So you hit a pot hole that resulted in failed suspension parts?   Good for you if the dealer replaced the suspension failure knowing that a pot hole caused the damage.  I haven’t experienced the same luck.