More 2020 Explorer issues...

15 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

People who buy a completely new or redesigned Ford vehicle in its first model year will become very familiar with their dealership's service department.

Says the guy with a 2019 Ranger

How many times have you been to the dealer for more than an oil change? 

I'll hang up and listen 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Says the guy with a 2019 Ranger

How many times have you been to the dealer for more than an oil change? 

I'll hang up and listen 

2019 U.S. Ranger is not a completely new or redesigned vehicle! All service department visits for my Ranger were for routine maintenance.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

2019 U.S. Ranger is not a completely new or redesigned vehicle! All service department visits for my Ranger were for routine maintenance.

But the work that went into MAP for it is on par with what went down in Chicago last year and Dearborn and KCAP in 2014/15. 

Im not saying there's no problems at all, there are and they’re pretty well documented at this point, but don't act like it's a 100% guarantee you’re going to be in the service department more than you won't. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

People who buy a completely new or redesigned Ford vehicle in its first model year will become very familiar with their dealership's service department.

Really? How do you define very?

1997 F150  Recall for lug nuts

2015 F150  Door handle recall

2018 F150 Block heater cord recall

All 3 were done during an oil change. One minor thing per truck, how very "very".  Oh, and the 1998 F150 had nothing but regular service.

That's less than the warranty repairs done on my 2012 Equinox. I got rid of it before it needed the pistons replaced.

I had my 2013 SHO back two times to the dealership-

Bad fuel level sending unit in the fuel tank-2 weeks after I got it

Had it towed to the dealership because it wouldn't start-come to find out it was a recall issue, and I didn't get notification til 2 weeks after it was fixed because I had just moved before it happened. 

8 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Changing over MAP from the Focus to the Ranger was a very extensive re-tool. There is a time lapse video of the change over on YouTube if you want to search for it. I'd argue that the US spec Ranger was a re-design of the international model. It has a new frame and a completely new powertrain vs. what's on the market in other countries. Just because most of the sheet metal and interior is shared doesn't mean the vehicle wasn't re-designed.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:36 PM, CoolDude919 said:

Im heading to a local dealer tomorrow or Saturday.  They have 2 identical ST's with street pack, one ABM in color and one MM in color, my top 2 choices.  One has a build of 11/5 (arrived 12/2) and one has a build of 12/20 and arrived 1/10.  I will check both for the rear piece.

Any thoughts on overall quality/issues/etc being better on either of these due to the later builds, and obviously lack of visit to flat rock?  Im really interested in these, but concerned about all of the different issues i read on the different forums (this missing piece, suspension noise, wind noise on passenger side, gas sloshing noise, etc).  Obviously not everyone has these issues, and certainly we are bound to hear about them more since people come to these forums to talk, but still concerned about moving forward.

FWIW saw both today.  The atlas blue metallic really does look great in person!  The ABM had the rear air deflector and the MM did NOT have it, so the unit with the latest/later build date that just arrived there in the past 2 weeks was missing it, yet the slightly older build date unit had it.  There seems to not necessarily be much reasoning to this.  They both were ST's with street/pano/tech and exactly the same MSRP. 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:42 AM, rperez817 said:

Fifteen recalls on our 2013 Fusion plus 6 different visits for warranty repair outside of those.

We are very familiar with Tracy & Kelly at our local Ford dealer. They're a very good Ford service dept as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I saw my first 2020 PIUs this evening in the next town over from me.  It’s gotten to the point I can’t swing a dead cat and not see a new Explorer on the road in my area. Someone in my work parking lot just got a red ST. 

Saw 2020 Escape first the first time in about a month or two in my area-but it was black like all the others I’ve seen. Surprised I haven’t seen more of them. 

• Like 1

If Final Data Judgment means what I think it does, was Explorer locked in too late? I remember seeing them run mules in Oct 16. I guessed something like that happened in 2017 when the 2018 refresh appeared, but not until May or June 2018, did I see anything Explorer '625 that was the real deal covered up. It was old '502.

There's a Ford web diagram that claims the first stage of actual shape testers, are FIRST put to test runs about 1 year before production. I must not be understanding what I read there or something, because if it's correct, Explorer only ran for 1 year in final body, before startup last May. That's so rushed, but hopefully misunderstood.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JX1 said:

If Final Data Judgment means what I think it does, was Explorer locked in too late? I remember seeing them run mules in Oct 16. I guessed something like that happened in 2017 when the 2018 refresh appeared, but not until May or June 2018, did I see anything Explorer '625 that was the real deal covered up. It was old '502.

There's a Ford web diagram that claims the first stage of actual shape testers, are FIRST put to test runs about 1 year before production. I must not be understanding what I read there or something, because if it's correct, Explorer only ran for 1 year in final body, before startup last May. That's so rushed, but hopefully misunderstood.

It looks like the whole validation and production start up process was rushed, every problem you see and read about was avoidable.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

It looks like the whole validation and production start up process was rushed, every problem you see and read about was avoidable.

Really? Wow. This was the first and only set of spy shots I saw of the actual Explorer covered up, taken in early June 2018 by "a reader" named Brett Borgard. The day after publishing these June 11, 2018, Ford then posted official photos of Police Interceptor in silhouette on Tuesday, June 12th. May 6, 2019 started it all, so 11 months.

2020-Ford-Explorer-10Carscoops.thumb.jpg.44a6b188e528f429de73eb23d7706f15.jpg2020-Ford-Explorer-14Carscoops.thumb.jpg.34f03571d6a2f5893f1604d10f5d033e.jpg

Is this what they do now in terms of timing? Yikes, too short!

First actual shots of 553 Expy were Sept 16, 12-13 months before job1 Sep 17. First mule photo posted late Sep '15, was 5 days short of 2 yrs before job1 in 2017.

For the actual Bronco, we first saw em also 11 months before job1. What gives?

I don't know how Ford can manage that on other products either. It's as I said, seems too short! The timing is where the problems lie. Not just plant, but also development.

I love reading about car development and usually certain stuff takes 2-3 yrs, not 14 months! I have to be wrong about this for sure. I swore they designed it in 2016 cuz of the very early D6 2016 mules and were taking their time under Fields. Maybe Tony Meyer knows lol, since he did it himself.

Edited by JX1

1 hour ago, JX1 said:

Really? Wow. This was the first and only set of spy shots I saw of the actual Explorer covered up, taken in early June 2018 by "a reader" named Brett Borgard. The day after publishing these June 11, 2018, Ford then posted official photos of Police Interceptor in silhouette on Tuesday, June 12th. May 6, 2019 started it all, so 11 months.

2020-Ford-Explorer-10Carscoops.thumb.jpg.44a6b188e528f429de73eb23d7706f15.jpg2020-Ford-Explorer-14Carscoops.thumb.jpg.34f03571d6a2f5893f1604d10f5d033e.jpg

Is this what they do now in terms of timing? Yikes, too short!

First actual shots of 553 Expy were Sept 16, 12-13 months before job1 Sep 17. First mule photo posted late Sep '15, was 5 days short of 2 yrs before job1 in 2017.

For the actual Bronco, we first saw em also 11 months before job1. What gives?

I don't know how Ford can manage that on other products either. It's as I said, seems too short! The timing is where the problems lie. Not just plant, but also development.

I love reading about car development and usually certain stuff takes 2-3 yrs, not 14 months! I have to be wrong about this for sure. I swore they designed it in 2016 cuz of the very early D6 2016 mules and were taking their time under Fields. Maybe Tony Meyer knows lol, since he did it himself.

The plant was a big issue because they had no space to do pilot builds, they jumped straight to production volume before the plant was fully sorted, Trans cooler problem should have been identified in validation or pre production builds.

Lots of Bronco development was done in Australian outback as well as North America away from prying eyes.

The platform is a heavy evolution of the existing platform with lots of upgrades, so very much a known quantity,

the CD6 Explorer was complete my new platform vehicle, so needs a lot more care that everything is going right.

Edited by jpd80
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 3:31 PM, silvrsvt said:

Saw 2020 Escape first the first time in about a month or two in my area-but it was black like all the others I’ve seen. Surprised I haven’t seen more of them. 

According to my salesman, they're selling a bit slow. Ford is pushing hard on leasing them. My Sister tried one out (an SEL) and didn't like it as well as the 19 Titainium she tried out. She didn't like that it sat so low and the dial shifter felt annoying.She commented on the infotainment screen, but thought she'd get used to that. She ended up buying the 19 and loves it so far.

Women have associated ride height with safety.....PIU sales are not much of an issue either...extremely favorable lease rates not offered elsewhere and the last batch ordered were bought for $1 at end of lease....of course that is what they are pretty much worth when finally pulled from the fleet...we were lucky to get $500 for the crown vic fleet....did get $5k on a torn up charger but it was a tax write off and donation...the p71 bunch though are truly the most rabid bunch one can encounter...great in fleet but dam were they trashed at turn in.....chargers are junk...never could get that junk fixed

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Pretty sure most folks associate a higher seating position as a safer proposition in today's traffic,

most people can't and won't go back to low riding vehicles.

I'm curious as to how the seating position is going to be in the Bronco Sport and if in time that will sell better then the Escape because it appeals to a more SUV style demographic that the earlier Escapes catered to....