More 2020 Explorer issues...

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm curious as to how the seating position is going to be in the Bronco Sport and if in time that will sell better then the Escape because it appeals to a more SUV style demographic that the earlier Escapes catered to....

I know 90% of Escape owners don’t tow much but I trailer a 19 ft center console from Boston to Maine and appreciate the visibility afforded by the higher the previous generation Escape.  I am hoping that the Bronco sport maintains or improves upon this feature.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm curious as to how the seating position is going to be in the Bronco Sport and if in time that will sell better then the Escape because it appeals to a more SUV style demographic that the earlier Escapes catered to....

Absolutely.  The other benefit of taller vehicles is ease of entry/exit for older folks.  I used to scoff at that idea but after I hit 55 I started to understand it.

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

That’s an interesting thought, the new Escape is more car like this time around giving Bronco Sport more product space, it’s clever and avoids going the RAV4 route of  building the same product at multiple plants which was something Bill Ford said he didn’t want Ford doing (except F Series)

Edited by jpd80

• 4 months later...
On 1/10/2020 at 3:50 PM, blwnsmoke said:

Because the vehicle should be able to handle potholes.

Dont show the vehicles off road if you can't drive on what has become normal city streets full of potholes.  Dont carefully it is the city or highway, it should be able to absorb and handle that type of situation.

A pothole is not owner abuse, its everyday normal use unfortunately.

No if you cant avoid a pot hole / curb  / mail box / side of a barn its your fault. How can blame anyone for your poor driving practices? Next your goong to blame ford for bugs acidic bodies eating through your paint. Or hard water leaving calcifide deposites on you hood... Oh wait im sure you do that and blame ford...

On 1/10/2020 at 5:58 PM, blwnsmoke said:

We are not talking tires,we are talking suspension components.. those very things that are designed to move up and down when hitting bumps and absorb bad road conditions.  So yes, I fully expect a suspension component that fails from hitting a pot hole to be covered..  Seriously!!.

Tires, forget those, especially on a 45 series tire.  It is next to impossible to get a tire manufacturer to warranty anything on them even something as simple as mileage.

" My bumper is to absorb front impact protecting my engine from impact and damage it should be warranty!"

Yeah noo bro your bad and wrong...

On 2/18/2020 at 8:58 AM, akirby said:

Absolutely.  The other benefit of taller vehicles is ease of entry/exit for older folks.  I used to scoff at that idea but after I hit 55 I started to understand it.

That's why if you are buying an Edcape you make sure to get the 19 inch wheels. Changes the look of the vehicle and increases the ground clearance plus raises the center of gravity. On the Bronco Sport Badland, you can go real crazy on tire diameter.

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

That's why if you are buying an Edcape you make sure to get the 19 inch wheels. Changes the look of the vehicle and increases the ground clearance plus raises the center of gravity. On the Bronco Sport Badland, you can go real crazy on tire diameter.

On the Escape, have you even bothered to compare the outside diameter of the base 225/65R17 to the 225/55R19's?  There's .3" difference in OD, which will raise the vehicle .15".   Less than 1/2 the diameter of your typical #2 pencil.

HRG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

On the Escape, have you even bothered to compare the outside diameter of the base 225/65R17 to the 225/55R19's?  There's .3" difference in OD, which will raise the vehicle .15".   Less than 1/2 the diameter of your typical #2 pencil.

HRG

Good catch, most on road vehicles maintain a similar tire outside diameter to limit

changes to ride height and centre of gravity that could change DSC calibrations.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:28 AM, jpd80 said:

The plant was a big issue because they had no space to do pilot builds, they jumped straight to production volume before the plant was fully sorted, Trans cooler problem should have been identified in validation or pre production builds.

Lots of Bronco development was done in Australian outback as well as North America away from prying eyes.

The platform is a heavy evolution of the existing platform with lots of upgrades, so very much a known quantity,

the CD6 Explorer was complete my new platform vehicle, so needs a lot more care that everything is going right.

I see, thank you. I hadn't logged in for many months and I apologize for not responding sooner. 

Making more sense what happened with the Explorer. Some aspects of the design do feel outdated, so I wonder if it was originally proposed under Mark Fields 5 years ago and then put on ice until 2017?

Judging by the 2018 Navigator, it looks like he had an obsession with Lincoln renaissance and was everything entry level be damned?

He only cared about high profit, halo, or high end vehicles in Bronco (early phases), F-Series, Lincoln, Expy, Mustang, and Ranger?

$5 billion was allotted for Lincoln by MF, only a few months after Alan Mulally retired. CD6 Mustang was pushed forward to 2021 in mid 2020 . A lot of people here have commented about how he "mishandled" Ford and delayed new Explorer, but it seems a little off to me.

Only issue I can see is how he wanted a bland bev and not a Mach E. Doesn't seem like the Explorer arrived too late.

21 minutes ago, JX1 said:

I see, thank you. I hadn't logged in for many months and I apologize for not responding sooner. 

Making more sense what happened with the Explorer. Some aspects of the design do feel outdated, so I wonder if it was originally proposed under Mark Fields 5 years ago and then put on ice until 2017?

Judging by the 2018 Navigator, it looks like he had an obsession with Lincoln renaissance and was everything entry level be damned?

He only cared about high profit, halo, or high end vehicles in Bronco (early phases), F-Series, Lincoln, Expy, Mustang, and Ranger?

$5 billion was allotted for Lincoln by MF, only a few months after Alan Mulally retired. CD6 Mustang was pushed forward to 2021 in mid 2020 . A lot of people here have commented about how he "mishandled" Ford and delayed new Explorer, but it seems a little off to me.

Only issue I can see is how he wanted a bland bev and not a Mach E. Doesn't seem like the Explorer arrived too late.

As I said Explorer and Aviator launched together as all new platform under so much production pressure

was a recipe for disaster, be that due to production or design  errors, that's why most plants do pilot builds

to get the processes right before Job 1.

Everything with Ford and Lincoln is about maximizing profit, Continental was an over hyping of NG MKS,

Lincoln needed a three row SUV Aviator years ago but got stuck with MKT for so many years. Ford was

almost embarrassed into doing a new alloy body Expedition / Navigator after ignoring the segment for

so long under Mulally. Fields did a comb over to get through to new alloy body models.

The intel to Fields by his own people was that the economy would go into recession late 2016 / early 2017

so he prepared the company for a down turn that never happened and paid for it.

Mach E began as the BEV C-Max on C2 as a way of keeping development costs down as no one at Ford envisaged

that BEVs would be  anything more than emissions compliance vehicles. He favoured hybrids and his decisions 

are seen today. Ford has now spent a fortune on Mach E as a way of covering up a king sized screw up.

Edited by jpd80

23 hours ago, JX1 said:

From the intel going around here, it was a stop and go process before finally being greenlit finally for production. What you are saying makes sense going by this:

Looking at the time table of everything-the Explorer launched in 2010 then got an update in 2016-which a Lincoln variant should have came out at the time..but didn't

Then the Explorer got another minor refresh in 2018, which indicated that it was going to stick around longer than it actually did...the 2020 went into production less than 18 months later. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2020 at 12:05 AM, tbone said:

1,700 miles later the Sync system has lags and lock ups which I believe is going to require an APIM replacement, since its had multiple hard and soft reboots that don’t eliminate the problem.  

I read through the thread and did not see a follow-up to your APIM replacement. Did you end up having it replaced? My Navigator is at the dealer for the last 4 days for the second time for these same issue, as well as a couple others. They reprogrammed the APIM in June to the latest calibration. Now, they have ordered a replacement that will be in tomorrow. Wondering if your issues were corrected on this. 

Well, you know they are always reluctant to change the APIM module so we had the prerequisite reprogramming, which did not initially fix the problem, but while we were waiting for the new module it actually started functioning appropriately, So we didn’t mess with it.  However,  recently it started acting up again but not as bad as it was, so we will see how it goes moving forward and then start the dang process over again I’m sure since it’s 10k miles later.  If it continues to be a problem I’ll be lobbying for replacement on the first return trip to the dealer. It seems they need to upgrade the quality or something with these APIMs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone said:

Well, you know they are always reluctant to change the APIM module so we had the prerequisite reprogramming, which did not initially fix the problem, but while we were waiting for the new module it actually started functioning appropriately, So we didn’t mess with it.  However,  recently it started acting up again but not as bad as it was, so we will see how it goes moving forward and then start the dang process over again I’m sure since it’s 10k miles later.  If it continues to be a problem I’ll be lobbying for replacement on the first return trip to the dealer. It seems they need to upgrade the quality or something with these APIMs. 

I'll update next week or so after driving mine around with the new APIM. Of course, how do I know they really changed it? Kidding...

Had the same issue with my 2018 f150.  Buttons were laggy (like 20-45 seconds lag), nav didnt work, Bluetooth media would disconnect, etc.

First time dealer reprogrammed apim (and some other work).  Didn’t fix it.  Second time they were supposed to replace it when I took it back to finish the other repair.  Seemed ok at first but got worse over time and found out they didn’t replace it but had tried a new calibration.  Finally got a new one and it’s been fine ever since.

Theyve had bad apims since 2011.  Frustrating.

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

Had the same issue with my 2018 f150.  Buttons were laggy (like 20-45 seconds lag), nav didnt work, Bluetooth media would disconnect, etc.

First time dealer reprogrammed apim (and some other work).  Didn’t fix it.  Second time they were supposed to replace it when I took it back to finish the other repair.  Seemed ok at first but got worse over time and found out they didn’t replace it but had tried a new calibration.  Finally got a new one and it’s been fine ever since.

Theyve had bad apims since 2011.  Frustrating.

Wow. Yeah, I was sort of joking, but honestly, I'm not at the dealer watching them. How do I know what they are really doing? I guess I can ask for documentation of the new part. 

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

Wow. Yeah, I was sort of joking, but honestly, I'm not at the dealer watching them. How do I know what they are really doing? I guess I can ask for documentation of the new part. 

Frankly, in this day and age of electronics, you would think they would be able to come up with a reliable cost effective unit that didn’t have all these problems.  I would like to think we are anomalies, but according to my dealer, we are not.  

It seems to me, the only real solution is replacement, instead of jacking around with reprogramming. They did the same thing to me on my 2017 Raptor, and once it was replaced, it was fine.  Unfortunately they waste people’s time with the reprogramming.  It’s quite disappointing actually. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tbone said:

Frankly, in this day and age of electronics, you would think they would be able to come up with a reliable cost effective unit that didn’t have all these problems.  I would like to think we are anomalies, but according to my dealer, we are not.  

It seems to me, the only real solution is replacement, instead of jacking around with reprogramming. They did the same thing to me on my 2017 Raptor, and once it was replaced, it was fine.  Unfortunately they waste people’s time with the reprogramming.  It’s quite disappointing actually. 

Agreed. My truck is brand new. Built in February. If the APIM is screwed up, why would reprogramming it fix it? But, I guess that is what Lincoln says the dealer had to attempt. 

Edited by Black Label

1 minute ago, Black Label said:

Agreed. My truck I brand new. Built in February. If the APIM is screwed up, why would reprogramming it fix it? But, I guess that is what Lincoln says the dealer had to attempt. 

Yes, that is my understanding, so ultimately it’s on Ford. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Because sometimes it does. It worked for me. 

Okay, I guess I'm just a bit frustrated. I'll just hope the new one does the trick. It could be an entire thread, I suppose, but I agree with @tbone that it is surprising by now they haven't figured out how to make them correctly so reprogramming isn't required. 

22 minutes ago, tbone said:

Not really. You can’t test every piece of electronics before you ship. If I had a dollar for every time I had to RMA RAM, SFPs, motherboards etc. The more electronics you get in a car, the more this can happen. I’ve built millions in IT infrastructure, it happens to every manufacturer.

• Like 1