More 2020 Explorer issues...

1 minute ago, jcartwright99 said:

Not really. You can’t test every piece of electronics before you ship. If I had a dollar for every time I had to RMA RAM, SFPs, motherboards etc. The more electronics you get in a car, the more this can happen. I’ve built millions in IT infrastructure, it happens to every manufacturer.

Okay, makes sense. Sound like it is just the way it is sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

What is the APIM? I was driving my explorer the other day and glanced down and noticed that the screen was off. The sync and radio buttons also didn’t work. It’s been fine since then (about a week ago). Is this similar to what y’all were experiencing?

Accessory Protocol Interface Module. Sync brains, essentially, from what I gather. 

• 5 months later...

I bought a new 2020 Explorer ST in December of 2020, and am also experiencing "Thud" issues that appear to be coming from underneath the car. The dealership has no solution at this point, and my vehicle has now been at the dealership more than it has been with me. Today they brought another 2020 ST, identical to mine, as well as my vehicle, and myself and the technician drove them back to back. It makes the same "Thud" when going over rough spots on the street. And no, once you've heard it, it's all you can think about. It's definitely there, and not disputed, but apparently there's no fix. Should I request a buyback? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Could be the suspension design.  Try driving a couple others and see if they all exhibit the same problem.  If so, try for a buyback.  You might be stuck, though, and need to eat the depreciation or turn the radio up to drown out the sound.  

2 minutes ago, slemke said:

Could be the suspension design.  Try driving a couple others and see if they all exhibit the same problem.  If so, try for a buyback.  You might be stuck, though, and need to eat the depreciation or turn the radio up to drown out the sound.  

Many have done buybacks for this.  There is no fix however it has not affected any performance or reliability.  It is just annoying hearing it on anything but smooth roads.  I have 30k on my ST now and it is 18 months old.  Has done it since day 1 and still does it.

Edited by blwnsmoke

I’m pretty sure I know what you are talking about as a fellow ST owner. I think it is a combination of the stiffer suspension and the low profile tires.  I think some people are also more susceptible to the sound than others.  I hear it, but the other three people in my family do not.  And as you mentioned above, once you hear it you can’t un-hear it.  It’s a very weird situation.