Why do they do this?

I've seen this on a few Ford's that are popping up with the full digital dash and also on a few other OEM's-thinking Hyundai?  This makes no sense at all to me and can't understand the logic. Forever and ever, every speedometer has been on the right side, unless you are a performance car and now the moment they have a digital dash they move it to the left side. It is these little things to me and again, maybe most people will never care, but I'm not talking to the general public, but why do they do this? And again, i've seen this on a few other nameplates where they switch them up and i don't understand why? 

image.png.f1997bc7ff8902ab5043dff057b86715.png

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Yeah I think I’d prefer in the middle to be honest. I drive automatics so I don’t need a tach anyways.

Even when both of my cars were manuals, I went more by sound and feel than I did the tach, but there's something I like about actually being able to see what’s going on with the engine rather than just hearing it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Even when both of my cars were manuals, I went more by sound and feel than I did the tach, but there's something I like about actually being able to see what’s going on with the engine rather than just hearing it. 

I watch my tach and the gear indicator just out of curiosity.  I’m fascinated that the 3.5Leb can just loaf along at 1200 rpm at 45 mph even going up moderate hills.

I love the digital display on my Explorer ST!  It took some getting used to but they thought of every piece of information and how to best display and arrange that info.  Once you're used  to it, it becomes second nature. Some have complained about the empty space in the middle  above the lane keeping display.  But that empty space is put to good use when the navigation is on and displays the next turn/direction and the audio track is displayed just above it.  I have also gotten used to the minimalist tachometer to the left of the speedometer when in Normal or Eco mode.  

Ya it just seems odd that after all these years, they would swap it. It makes the most sense to me being in the middle and I'm sure you would get used to it right away wherever it is. Drove a POS 2019 Rogue rental this week and their center stack only had average speed with real time speed. I flipped thru every screen I could think of and even reviewed the manual, but no luck-you only use the gauge and after being in cars with digital speedometers for the past 4-5 years, is a very hard thing to revert back to. 

My Continental has the speed indicated in the middle.   My Mustang has it on the right.   The Mustang is capable of displaying a lot more data than the Conti, but I really don't have a preference about where the speed is shown.

Edited by brucelinc

I can't say that I could tell you which side the speedo and tach occupied on the last several vehicles I've driven. Heck, if I were under oath right now, I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty which one is on which side in my truck. Maybe it's a product of having started my driving career going among several vehicles, but gauge placement just isn't that important to me; I can look at the dash and see which one is which.