Has anyone removed front license plate bracket?

jasoncaity

Hi, I recently took delivery of my 2020 aviator. It’s awesome! When I ordered it through the dealer we made sure to remove the front license plate bracket. Well... it came installed. My dealer said Lincoln installed it probably because front plates are required in Utah. So, has anyone tried removing it? It looks like it’s installed with some type of plastic rivet. I’m worried that removing the rivets will leave large holes and I would be better just leaving the plate on. Thanks for any advice!

D9644D37-89A2-4534-B31C-6D8B6E925746.jpeg

You can remove it and buy some rubber plugs and paint them to match.  But your dealer is lying to you.  Lincoln doesn't install front license plate frames.  And if they did, it certainly wouldn't have the dealer advertisement already in it.  :)  So I'd at least make them remove it and pay for the plugs.

Only certain states require front license plates, so it's up to the dealer, not Ford/Lincoln,  to install them, as stated by akirby above.  My dealer had no problem not installing the front plate bracket on my car, even though it is required in my state.  I had them simply put it in the trunk, and said 'I'll do it'. 

Check out Bumper Plugs (.com), they will even sell them already painted for you.

Edited by fusionff

Thanks for the replies. We saw that even though the bracket wasn't ordered it showed up on the window sticker. The dealer assured me they wouldn't install it if it came uninstalled. The dealer called me and told me it came installed, maybe they're lying to me? I'm not sure what they have to gain by installing it? I'll have to order some plugs

17 minutes ago, jasoncaity said:

maybe they're lying to me? I'm not sure what they have to gain by installing it? I'll have to order some plugs

Free advertising.  I'm sure the dealer prep guys just didn't get the word not to install it and they probably are worried you'll want a whole new bumper.

• 7 months later...

A couple of posters have surmised that dealers install the front plate bracket for the purpose of advertising, whether the customer wants it or not.  The bracket that came installed on my 2020 Aviator has NO advertising and came installed from the factory.  I could have added a dealer logo plate bracket, but there is NO logo or.......  on the bracket.   And yes, I will un-install despite the difficulties.

14 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

You know that for sure?  Explorer's coming off the same assembly line have front license brackets installed.  HRG

14 hours ago, akirby said:

I know for sure that’s how it used to be.  Maybe it’s changed.

At 4:58 and 5:09 of that video you can see two different Aviators with the front bracket installed.  I remember looking into this or reading about it on another forum once.  I think the determination was that in states that require front plates by law, Ford is required to deliver the vehicle to the dealer with it installed.  In states where it isn't required, the dealer can order it either way.

BTW, States that require a front plate are (https://www.autolist.com/guides/front-license-plate):

Alaska         Idaho          Massachusetts  Nevada         Oregon         Vermont        Washington D.C.
California     Illinois       Minnesota      New Hampshire  Rhode Island   Virginia
Colorado       Iowa           Missouri       New Jersey     South Dakota   Washington
Connecticut    Maine          Montana        New York       Texas          Wisconsin
Hawaii         Maryland       Nebraska       North Dakota   Utah           Wyoming

*Ohio repealed the requirement effective July 2020*

So 30 out of 50 is no longer just a few.

41 minutes ago, akirby said:

Quite possible they changed the law.  They used to ship the bracket and let the dealer put on the plate or not.  I always told my dealer not to put it on since ga doesn’t require them and I don’t do free advertising.

Probably the bean-counters got involved, makes no sense to include the bracket when shipping to a state that doesn't require it. When I bought my '19 Edge from a dealer in a no front plate state, they didn't even carry the bracket in the parts room, and had to order one in before I took delivery.

HRG

48 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Probably the bean-counters got involved, makes no sense to include the bracket when shipping to a state that doesn't require it. When I bought my '19 Edge from a dealer in a no front plate state, they didn't even carry the bracket in the parts room, and had to order one in before I took delivery.

HRG

Every dealer I've ever seen in GA installs the front plate on every vehicle for advertising.

22 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Florida doesn't require a front license plate, so no bracket was automatically installed.

What's to explain?

HRG

I misunderstood and thought they were being installed on all vehicles.  So you’re saying they’re only installed at the factory if they’re being shipped to a state that requires them.  Got it.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

I misunderstood and thought they were being installed on all vehicles.  So you’re saying they’re only installed at the factory if they’re being shipped to a state that requires them.  Got it.

Watching the video from the CAP assembly plant, only some of the vehicles had front brackets installed. My assumption is that they are installed when needed, or requested by the selling dealer.

By the way, found new Aviators in-inventory at a dealer in GA without the bracket installed, so it's not EVERY dealer, EVERY vehicle sold in GA.

HRG

Vehicles ordered for delivery in states requiring 2 plates automatically include a front plate bracket. On some vehicle lines the front plate bracket is factory installed but in most cases it's shipped with the vehicle for dealer installation. For all vehicle lines the front plate bracket (153) is also available as a no charge option for dealers in single plate states that may want the brackets. 

The vehicle prep process may vary between dealers but in our case it's the service technician that preps the vehicle, not the detailer, that installs the front plate bracket. If the customer specifically requests that the front plate bracket not be installed, it's specifically noted on the work order. Our dealership policy regarding Mustangs is that the front license plate bracket is not to be installed unless the customer specifically requests it. The vehicle is delivered with the bracket in the trunk for future installation should the customer request the installation at a later date. Years ago we lost a deal on a Shelby because a front plate bracket was installed and the customer did not want the vehicle repaired.

Along with the discussion here about front plate brackets, there's a similar issue with dealers that install or used to install their dealership badges with types that were riveted. The law was changed in CT years ago requiring dealers to pay any costs related to repairing the damage should a customer request that no dealer branding be installed. Most dealerships now use adhesive branding that can be easily removed.    

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Ford Edge, Explorer, Nautilus , and Aviator if order with front plate gets it installed at the factory.  I bet BriBoy your dealer did not order a front plate that's why it does not have one. Just look on the your vehicle sticker it will not be listed.  I know because I had a Nautilus that was order for me and the factory installed the front plates bracket. The dealer did not install it and my state does not require it. I know this because my dealer never installs the front plates which I just hate. They had to order me another one because I did not want the front bracket on. So I ended up with an Aviator this time around. The Aviator did not come with one to install at all. These Models only, if you don't order a front bracket they don't come with one from the factory at all. My dealer found that out too so they quit ordering them with the front bracket and now they don't have ones on the front or in the vehicle either. I think its stupid that the Factory is doing this leave up to the customer. So if you order an Edge, Explorer, Nautilus and Aviator make sure the dealer does not order it with a front bracket because if they do it will be on the front when you receive it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelby32 said:

The Ford Edge, Explorer, Nautilus , and Aviator if order with front plate gets it installed at the factory.  I bet BriBoy your dealer did not order a front plate that's why it does not have one. Just look on the your vehicle sticker it will not be listed.  I know because I had a Nautilus that was order for me and the factory installed the front plates bracket. The dealer did not install it and my state does not require it. I know this because my dealer never installs the front plates which I just hate. They had to order me another one because I did not want the front bracket on. So I ended up with an Aviator this time around. The Aviator did not come with one to install at all. These Models only, if you don't order a front bracket they don't come with one from the factory at all. My dealer found that out too so they quit ordering them with the front bracket and now they don't have ones on the front or in the vehicle either. I think its stupid that the Factory is doing this leave up to the customer. So if you order an Edge, Explorer, Nautilus and Aviator make sure the dealer does not order it with a front bracket because if they do it will be on the front when you receive it. 

Once again, if you're in a state that requires two plates... Ford will automatically provide the second plate bracket, factory installed or not. In a two plate state it doesn't make a difference whether the dealer orders the front plate bracket. 

It does if you don't want the thing plaster on the front of your car. On the models mention if your dealer orders a front bracket Ford will plaster it on the front for you, even in a state that does not require it. So if you do not want one on your front bumper when you order your Edge, Explorer, Nautilus, and Aviator make sure your dealer does not add the front bracket to your order. I know from experience in ordering a Lincoln Nautilus in my state that does not require a front plate. Not all Fords get the front bracket installed from the factory just the Models mentioned. I know this because I ordered an Aviator without and the vehicle came with no Front bracket at all in the vehicle or on it. 

Edited by Shelby32

30 minutes ago, Shelby32 said:

It does if you don't want the thing plaster on the front of your car. On the models mention if your dealer orders a front bracket Ford will plaster it on the front for you, even in a state that does not require it. So if you do not want one on your front bumper when you order your Edge, Explorer, Nautilus, and Aviator make sure your dealer does not add the front bracket to your order. I know from experience in ordering a Lincoln Nautilus in my state that does not require a front plate. Not all Fords get the front bracket installed from the factory just the Models mentioned. I know this because I ordered an Aviator without and the vehicle came with no Front bracket at all in the vehicle. 

It doesn't make a difference in a two plate state because the factory adds it regardless.   In a one plate state they go by the dealer order so yes, make sure the dealer doesn't order it if you don't want one.