Death of the Auto Show?

Audi pulling out of NYIAS with Mercedes and BMW.

Audi is also not going to the Detroit show in the summer.

I think automakers are finally seeing the light that local autoshows aren't worth it and with the death of concept cars due to costs and lack of use in the real world, I think Auto shows should be done by the local dealerships in the area, since thats what they are used for-clients kicking tires literally 

https://www.autonews.com/new-york-auto-show/audi-joins-german-rivals-dropping-out-ny-show

Auto shows do appear to be dying. Tesla, perhaps the most interesting new automaker, doesn't do them. In Chicago, no Mercedes Benz, BMW, or Mini. Ford, again in Chicago last year, was rather uninspired, no concept vehicles shown. At least this year, look forward to the Mach E (wish it didn't use Mustang name), and for profits and volume, the 2020 Super Duty.

2 hours ago, paintguy said:

Tesla, perhaps the most interesting new automaker, doesn't do them.

In the U.S., this is mainly because Tesla doesn't use franchised dealerships for new vehicle sales and service. Auto shows are organized by regional new car dealer associations, such as North Texas Auto Dealers and Chicago Automobile Trade Association. Tensions between franchised new car dealership organizations and Tesla make it very unlikely that Tesla will participate in any U.S. auto shows.

I always enjoyed the auto shows. Local shows were a good place to go and compare all of the different manufacturers/models at the same time. The big shows were great for concepts, but there’s been less of those for the past several years now anyways.

We have 2 shows down here - Miami and Fort Lauderdale.  The Miami show in November is bigger (and it lasts for a week), and is attended by more brands, but even this year some bigger brands - like BMW and Mercedes - skipped altogether, despite South Florida being a huge market for them.

The Fort Lauderdale show was this past weekend, just one weekend only, and is much smaller, but still attended by most of the mainstream brands.  Nissan wasn't there.  There are a lot of other brands - mostly smaller, more on the luxury side brands.  BMW was at this show, but its display was done by the local BMW dealer - they had a lot of models there too, I was impressed.

I totally agree that smaller shows could be done by dealers.  I love being able to go to one place and sit in all the new models.

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

I thought most shows were put on by local dealer associations.

This is at the bottom of the NYAIS web page:

© 2019 Greater New York Automobile Dealers Association. All rights reserved.

I'm guessing that Manufacture direct support will dry up over the next couple years, there isn't much benefit to them in general, at least what I can see. There are so many other opportunities that they can show their products off to consumers. 

Are European/Asian sales done the same way?

30 minutes ago, akirby said:

Yes sir, you are correct. Actually, all new car "auto shows" in the U.S. from the biggest shows like NYIAS, LAIAS, and CAS to the smaller ones like Tulsa Auto Show are sponsored by dealership associations.

34 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

This is at the bottom of the NYAIS web page:

© 2019 Greater New York Automobile Dealers Association. All rights reserved.

I'm guessing that Manufacture direct support will dry up over the next couple years, there isn't much benefit to them in general, at least what I can see. There are so many other opportunities that they can show their products off to consumers. 

Are European/Asian sales done the same way?

There are similar auto shows in Europe and Asia.

I don't see the shows going away and I don't think there is any direct mfr support.  But you may see more brands elect not to go and they may eliminate new model introductions and the associated press fanfare which is what all of the shows outside the big 4 are anyway (big 4 = Detroit, Chicago, NY, LA).  

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Hm.  Well the difference I've seen recently is that it's done by a specific dealer with that dealer's advertising plastered everywhere, vs. before where it was just like "visit your south Florida locations/here's your closest dealer"

42 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Hm.  Well the difference I've seen recently is that it's done by a specific dealer with that dealer's advertising plastered everywhere, vs. before where it was just like "visit your south Florida locations/here's your closest dealer"

And all the other brands were represented at this show?  That seems strange that one dealer would sponsor something like that.  Maybe they just paid for extra sponsorship?

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

And all the other brands were represented at this show?  That seems strange that one dealer would sponsor something like that.  Maybe they just paid for extra sponsorship?

Not all, but many.  Most of the main ones were there - Ford/Lincoln, GM, Toyota/Lexus, Hyundai/Kia/Genesis, FCA, VW, Honda/Acura, Infiniti (but not Nissan).  BMW was the only one done by a local specific dealer, and otherwise BMW wouldn't have been (they weren't at the Miami show at all).