'21MY Mustang facelift - where are the prototypes?

I love the retro Mustangs.....heck, that's why I have an '05. I'd love for Ford to give us another retro-modern version, more '69/'70 this time..............but I don't see it ever happening again.

I do think the '18+ hits the sweet spot in terms of muscle (those hips are more pronounced than any S197!).....and sports car. I expect S650 to be a refining of those looks when it arrives for the '23MY. This render is one of my favourite official ones from Ford. This was one that didn't make it from the initial S550 sketches, but I'd love to see this as S650. It brings back the "hockey stick"/faux side vent, and adds even more flare to those hips.

S650 render 7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trailhiker said:

I'd take the designers of the new Bronco, show them a Mustang from the late 60's-early 70's, and let them run with it.

So you want them to stick with the '05 design forever...

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

I love the retro Mustangs.....heck, that's why I have an '05. I'd love for Ford to give us another retro-modern version, more '69/'70 this time..............but I don't see it ever happening again.

I do think the '18+ hits the sweet spot in terms of muscle (those hips are more pronounced than any S197!).....and sports car. I expect S650 to be a refining of those looks when it arrives for the '23MY. This render is one of my favourite official ones from Ford. This was one that didn't make it from the initial S550 sketches, but I'd love to see this as S650. It brings back the "hockey stick"/faux side vent, and adds even more flare to those hips.

S650 render 7.jpeg

I personally don't like that one much - THAT doesn't look like a Mustang to me.

13 hours ago, brucelinc said:

I don't care if it is considered a sports car, muscle car or pony car.    The 2018+ models drive great, handle great, perform great and also make very civilized daily drivers.    To my eye, they are also the best looking Mustangs ever produced.

0922180852a_Burst01.jpg

I concur with your assessment. This is my favorite Mustang to date. My 17 year old son wants me to trade his truck in on one.  Many of his friends appear to like them too.  It’s good to see it is attracting the attention of the younger generation.  I think that is pretty important for the sustainability of the Mustang. 

21 hours ago, rmc523 said:

So you want them to stick with the '05 design forever...

The '05 was a great design, but I believe that now 15 years later, they could design a Mustang even more influenced by the late 60's models.

Ford should really have three cars.

A Capri that would compete with the MX5 and 86/BRZ

A retro Mustang pony/muscle car in a wide price and power range.

A Thunderbird, similar in size and power to the Audi A7

One of the things many people like about the current Mustang is that it makes a surprisingly good daily driver.   Visibility is excellent.   There is a lot of trunk space.   While the rear seat is basically just decoration, the front is roomy and the seats are comfortable.    Ergonomics are quite good, too.   The ride is pleasant.    Road and wind noise is very muted. 

While a lower, swoopier design might be pleasing to the eye, there is danger of losing some of the usability....like the Camaro has done.   I do agree with facelifts that keep it fresh and we expect a more major change in a few years but I think the current model has done a remarkable job of marrying sportiness, performance, handling, comfort and usability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trailhiker said:

The '05 was a great design, but I believe that now 15 years later, they could design a Mustang even more influenced by the late 60's models.

Ford should really have three cars.

A Capri that would compete with the MX5 and 86/BRZ

A retro Mustang pony/muscle car in a wide price and power range.

A Thunderbird, similar in size and power to the Audi A7

A "Capri" would be DOA and a waste of resources.

I could get on board with your Thunderbird idea, though.

38 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I actually like that color 

too bad the wheels are total ?

3 hours ago, brucelinc said:

Maybe some new colors and larger wheels would be a nice upgrade..... ?

image.thumb.png.33db6c8552e798cc401cc81043f8e605.png

That was a totally cool color when I was 10 years old dreaming about going fast!

All kidding aside - Ford could use some color across the entire line of vehicles - but in this day of leasing and everyone concerned about re-sale instead actually driving something personal, bland is good - I guess.  When I drive past the giant Enterprise Auto Sales lot on my way home every single former rental for sale is somewhere between white and black.

Fastback - Original.PNG

Edited by Kev-Mo

24 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

That was a totally cool color when I was 10 years old dreaming about going fast!

All kidding aside - Ford could use some color across the entire line of vehicles - but in this day of leasing and everyone concerned about re-sale instead actually driving something personal, bland is good - I guess.  When I drive past the giant Enterprise Auto Sales lot on my way home every single former rental for sale is somewhere between white and black.

Fastback - Original.PNG

Mustang is probably the 1 thing in the lineup they can get really bold with colors if they wanted to (and they usually have 2 or 3 that are) because historically they do not lease well, at all. 

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yes, that's it!  Couldn't place my finger on it.

not that I think the 80s Camaros are that bad, my dad an 85 and 87 before he got rid of the latter one for his 68 he had for a while. I always thought they were pretty cool and if I could find one in decent shape around here I would take one over a Fox body Mustang any day. 

The leasing issue with Mustang GT's is directly related to all the GT's that are abused, damaged severely (rear axles, transmissions, etc.) and then towed to the dealerships for warranty repair. Most of the time Ford will cover the first repair under warranty but often these cars come back again with the same abuse-caused damage and the owner foots the repair bill, not Ford. Seen this more times than I can count over the years. 

49 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

The leasing issue with Mustang GT's is directly related to all the GT's that are abused, damaged severely (rear axles, transmissions, etc.) and then towed to the dealerships for warranty repair. Most of the time Ford will cover the first repair under warranty but often these cars come back again with the same abuse-caused damage and the owner foots the repair bill, not Ford. Seen this more times than I can count over the years. 

Makes sense to me.  So you're telling me I should go destroy a few things and tow it in? :spiteful:

Haha.  I'd have leased my GT had I been able to.