Tesla Stock

coupe3w

2 hours ago, mlhm5 said:

You run with the headline and then take it back in the second line. Nothing but clickbait. Here is something Ford will never do unless they buy a Gigafactory from Tesla. 

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/31/teslas-vehicles-go-from-rolled-aluminum-to-a-finished-vehicle-in-48-hours/

Ford does that every day at 3 different plants at a faster pace, not to mention the other plants that don't run 24/7 that operate at a faster pace than Tesla's plant and without a tent in the parking lot. 

next 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ford does that every day at 3 different plants at a faster pace, not to mention the other plants that don't run 24/7 that operate at a faster pace than Tesla's plant and without a tent in the parking lot. 

next 

Now you wait just a minute fuzzy........

Tesla has 2 tents.

• Haha 1

?
8 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Now you wait just a minute fuzzy........

So 

Tesla has 2 tents.

So how come Ford is only going to make 50K Mustang Evs in the first year? I thought that I had read that Ford said the future is EV.
IMO Ford does not actually want to build EV’s because it cuts into their short term revenue. Secondly, the Ford dealer network is probably openly hostile to EVs because they offer far, far, far less servicing revenue which is the only reason a car dealership is in the new car business. They make more $$ selling used cars. Ford is not putting EA chargers or any fast charger at their dealerships.
Secondly, IMO Ford is truly fortunate that VW is "all in" for EV and IMO, and may just be the big winner in the future because of their commitment, $$ and manufacturing (if they do not do another dieselgate). Electrify America is a direct result of "dieselgate" and VW as punishment had to invest $2 billion in charging. I have no idea what the relationship between Ford and VW , but Tesla will shortly have a CSS adapter for the US as they do in Europe (they are different) and in Europe, Model 3 has the CSS adapter as std equip. Then Tesla owners here will be able to fill up at either Tesla or Electrify America. I say bring it on and convert the USA to all BEV. Either you believe it is the future or you are hedging your bet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I guess their gigafactory turned a profit for the first time, hence the jump in their stock price.

That's the problem - Ford only has factories while Tesla has GIGAfactories.   Ford just needs to rename their factories TERAfactories.  Problem solved.

The people who noticed the 4Q profit probably didn't notice all the red flags in the same report.   If they can keep up the profits throughout 2020 I'll admit I was wrong but as this point it still seems like smoke and mirrors and creative accounting and they have a LOT of pressure coming this year with Mach-E and other competition with increased pricing pressure from the tax credit situation.

I'm slowly becoming a believer in Tesla, but for different reasons.  Michelle Krebs is an automotive analyst working for some analytical company (the name which escapes me).  She was on Autoline After Hours a few months back.  Her company did a survey of young people (teenagers) and asked several questions about the cars they like.  Hands down winner was Tesla.  In several categories too. Teenagers don't lust after Mustang's or Camaro's, like my generation did, they want to own a Tesla.  Of course teenagers aren’t buying cars, but when they do, they’ll be looking more at a Tesla rather a vehicle made by one of the traditional car manufacturers.  

I never see myself owning a vehicle other than a Ford, but if somebody put a gun to my head and force me to buy something else, I'd buy a Tesla.  You got to love how audacious Elon and his company is.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I'm slowly becoming a believer in Tesla, but for different reasons.  Michelle Krebs is an automotive analyst working for some analytical company (the name which escapes me).  She was on Autoline After Hours a few months back.  Her company did a survey of young people (teenagers) and asked several questions about the cars they like.  Hands down winner was Tesla.  In several categories too. Teenagers don't lust after Mustang's or Camaro's, like my generation did, they want to own a Tesla.  Of course teenagers aren’t buying cars, but when they do, they’ll be looking more at a Tesla rather a vehicle made by one of the traditional car manufacturers.  

I never see myself owning a vehicle other than a Ford, but if somebody put a gun to my head and force me to buy something else, I'd buy a Tesla.  You got to love how audacious Elon and his company is.

But you have to ask why they prefer Tesla?  Right now they're the only real game in town but you have Ford and Rivian and probably GM bringing out real alternatives for the first time.  And those newcomers have the full $7500 cash on the hood and Tesla doesn't.   It will be interesting to see how the competition fares and how they affect Tesla.

45 minutes ago, akirby said:

But you have to ask why they prefer Tesla?  Right now they're the only real game in town but you have Ford and Rivian and probably GM bringing out real alternatives for the first time.  And those newcomers have the full $7500 cash on the hood and Tesla doesn't.   It will be interesting to see how the competition fares and how they affect Tesla.

You're absolutely right.  Tesla is the only game in town, for now.  But the have this incredible buzz surrounding them and their products.  This article in today's Automotive News is worth a read (no subscription required).

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/teslas-50-billion-edge-reflects-view-musk-can-build-ev-lead-stock-keeps-rising

On 2/2/2020 at 3:11 PM, mlhm5 said:

IMO ford has to rethink automotive and pace of innovation from the scratch in order to catch up. IMO Ford is only interested in getting tax credits to supplement their ICE car income and their BEV cars are non-existent today. I think if you look back over the last 5 years you will see a pattern.

Yes sir. That's because Ford is an incumbent automaker, still stuck with old ways of doing things. This is reflected in the company's mission statement.

"People working together as a lean, global enterprise to make people’s lives better through automotive and mobility leadership."

In other words, just another global automaker with aspirations of "leadership". Jim Hackett even acknowledged this concern in the earnings call today. He said "I don't think this company can keep straddling the old and new worlds forever ... This company has to change." And he's right.

Compare that to Tesla's mission statement mentioned earlier in the thread.

"to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy."

A key reason Tesla is so innovative is that its mission goes far beyond selling automobiles. 

Edited by rperez817