Future Edge Replacement

Rumor is it will be on a stretched platform of the Escape.  Not CD6 RWD.  So it will stick to FWD platform.  But nothing official from Ford, no spy shots as of yet to guess.

But that does leave the option of a future CD6 smaller than Explorer option available.  

The other variable is the whole EV platfrom.  There may not be much further development on the ICE platforms.  So there's always that...

10 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Rumor is it will be on a stretched platform of the Escape.  Not CD6 RWD.  So it will stick to FWD platform.  But nothing official from Ford, no spy shots as of yet to guess.

But that does leave the option of a future CD6 smaller than Explorer option available.  

The other variable is the whole EV platfrom.  There may not be much further development on the ICE platforms.  So there's always that...

Current Edge:

Wheelbase 112.2

Length 188.8

Width, excluding mirrors 75.9 Width

Vehicle height 68.3

Mustang Mach E

Wheelbase   117.0 in
Length    186.0 in
Width    74.0 in (Not sure what the measurement is with or without mirrors)
Height    63.0 in

In the grand scheme of things, a CUV replacement based on the MME platform isn't very hard to do. I'm still of the option that EVs need about another 10 years or so (mostly in improving recharging times and range) before they replace ICE powered cars wide spread. Until a BEV can go 300-350 miles in any weather conditions and be able to recharge to 80-90% battery in 10-15 minutes, those concerns are going to bother alot of people. I know in my personal case, we can get a MME and use it for 90% of the driving we do, but if we went on a long ride, I'd rather have a gas or hybrid car instead for that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Current Edge:

Wheelbase 112.2

Length 188.8

Vehicle height 68.3

Mustang Mach E

Wheelbase   117.0 in
Length    186.0 in
Height    63.0 in

In the grand scheme of things, a CUV replacement based on the MME platform isn't very hard to do. I'm still of the option that EVs need about another 10 years or so (mostly in improving recharging times and range) before they replace ICE powered cars wide spread. Until a BEV can go 300-350 miles in any weather conditions and be able to recharge to 80-90% battery in 10-15 minutes, those concerns are going to bother alot of people. I know in my personal case, we can get a MME and use it for 90% of the driving we do, but if we went on a long ride, I'd rather have a gas or hybrid car instead for that.

I think the reason we haven't heard very much about Edge replacement (and indeed Ford is supposedly planning yet another facelift in 2021) is because the vehicle is likely being replaced by several different ones depending on market.

In Europe and South America, Ford needs a compact class 7 seat CUV like VW Tiguan Allspace, not a 5 seat midsize CUV.

In China, Ford needs a midsize 7 seat CUV like the current Edge but slightly bigger to keep pace with Toyota Highlander.

In North America, Ford is planning a square back version of MACH E, which will be a the same size and form factor as Edge 5 seat now. It may be that Ford has decided to keep the current Edge going (hence another facelift) and see if the square back EV catches on as a replacement.

In Australia, they really need the Chinese Edge (7 seat) to complement the 5 seat but that's probably not going to happen. Meanwhile, no decisions on RHD Explorer as far as I can tell.

13 minutes ago, bzcat said:

In North America, Ford is planning a square back version of MACH E, which will be a the same size and form factor as Edge 5 seat now. It may be that Ford has decided to keep the current Edge going (hence another facelift) and see if the square back EV catches on as a replacement.

Is this model more in the vein of the original 'compliance' car, or will it literally be a MME with a squared off rear?

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

I think the reason we haven't heard very much about Edge replacement (and indeed Ford is supposedly planning yet another facelift in 2021) is because the vehicle is likely being replaced by several different ones depending on market.

In Europe and South America, Ford needs a compact class 7 seat CUV like VW Tiguan Allspace, not a 5 seat midsize CUV.

In China, Ford needs a midsize 7 seat CUV like the current Edge but slightly bigger to keep pace with Toyota Highlander.

In Australia, they really need the Chinese Edge (7 seat) to complement the 5 seat but that's probably not going to happen. Meanwhile, no decisions on RHD Explorer as far as I can tell.

I think it'd be a mistake to just throw Edge out - it's well known and has consistently been among if not the top in its segment, no?

If Edge is to be retained for a while, then there is hope that Fusion will be here for a bit as well. At least until my wife gets her next one. She's adamant that she will only drive a sedan. It'll be her first non-Ford in 25 years if she has to go with a Mazda or Nissan. For shame....

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, scottfmcc said:

If Edge is to be retained for a while, then there is hope that Fusion will be here for a bit as well. At least until my wife gets her next one. She's adamant that she will only drive a sedan. It'll be her first non-Ford in 25 years if she has to go with a Mazda or Nissan. For shame....

I think someone said Fusion makes it through....I think it was June of this year?

23 minutes ago, scottfmcc said:

That article is seven  months old.

We recently had confirmation that production ends in June, inventory will carry sales through to the end of the year.

Hermosillo needs to be switched to build other products based on Transit Connect

If Fusion crossover is what we suspect, it may be little more than a jacked up NG Mondeo with the “Active” treatment, giving an updated Edge enough product space to continue as a good sized product between Escape and Explorer but lose some weight thanks to C2 improvements. The changes to MME were to make it unique, I don’t see NG Edge copy paste the 117” wheelbase but could be wrong depending on what Ford plans are for international vehicles, other regions like China and Europe. Essentially a longer slightly wider Escape?

Edited by jpd80

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Current Edge:

Wheelbase 112.2

Length 188.8

Vehicle height 68.3

Mustang Mach E

Wheelbase   117.0 in
Length    186.0 in
Height    63.0 in

I think it’s wildly optimistic to think EV’s will replace ICE on a widespread basis in ten years. The power grid is nowhere near robust enough for that to happen for one thing. Maybe 20 years. 

1 hour ago, Trader 10 said:

I think it’s wildly optimistic to think EV’s will replace ICE on a widespread basis in ten years. The power grid is nowhere near robust enough for that to happen for one thing. Maybe 20 years. 

I think the point is that they have to start somewhere with the roll out of BEV. That doesn’t mean immediate comprehensive replacement of ICE from get go but a gradual changing of the guard, I see that happening a lot slower than folks think and possibly in pockets close to cities where the most good and practical use will occur.

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Here is the thing...look at this way:

Lets use 2030 as our transition date, since its 2020-

So you have a product like the Edge that needs to be replaced. The platform has its roots in the EUCD platform from 2006 (14 years ago), so its pretty old, even though it was upgraded to CD4 in 2013.

The new Edge comes out as a MY 2023 Product-you have maybe 7-10 years that ICE will sill be viable, but what do you do after that for 5 or so years during its second major refresh in 2033 or so to keep sales up, if the BEV market is starting to pick up? That is the issue that alot of manufactures are trying to deal with...yes current cars in their current form will still sell, but at the EOL of those products, there are going to be major issues, since BEVs don't perform well based on ICE platforms. I'm assuming Ford is trying to hedge their bets by coming out with BEV products that will slot into existing product lines like the Edge, using the MME as a basis. 

4 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

You think the power grid is bad now?  

just wait... not only do you have Increasing demand from EV’s but you also have jurisdictions banning natural gas from being put into new homes and buildings. Creating greater reliance on electrical power. 

Cluster *uck is coming. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

You think the power grid is bad now?  

just wait... not only do you have Increasing demand from EV’s but you also have jurisdictions banning natural gas from being put into new homes and buildings. Creating greater reliance on electrical power. 

Cluster *uck is coming. 

9 hours ago, blazerdude20 said:

Cluster *uck is coming. 

So far that is a California only thing-Not having access to NG in the Plain states or the North East where it can get below zero is going to seriously piss off people in the winter, not to mention heat pump systems are more inefficient then a separate furnace/HVAC setup 

I'm all for trying to improve things, but don't cut your nose off to spite your face...

13 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

So far that is a California only thing-Not having access to NG in the Plain states or the North East where it can get below zero is going to seriously piss off people in the winter, not to mention heat pump systems are more inefficient then a separate furnace/HVAC setup 

I'm all for trying to improve things, but don't cut your nose off to spite your face...

If they ever cut off natural gas, I'd go back to propane for cooking, and start splitting wood again for heat!

21 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

If they ever cut off natural gas, I'd go back to propane for cooking, and start splitting wood again for heat!

Natural gas was a requirement for our new house for both cooking and heating.  I would not go back to electric and didn't want the hassle of a propane tank. 

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

Natural gas was a requirement for our new house for both cooking and heating.  I would not go back to electric and didn't want the hassle of a propane tank. 

Considering I just spent some $$$$ on a (natural gas) whole-house generator, how do people with all-electric houses deal with power outages?  It would take a bunch of batteries to support a multi-day outage.

HRG

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Considering I just spent some $$$$ on a (natural gas) whole-house generator, how do people with all-electric houses deal with power outages?  It would take a bunch of batteries to support a multi-day outage.

HRG

Call up Tesla ?

26 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

Large propane tank and propane powered generator or smaller gas generators.  Or you just rough it with a grill or camp stove and cook all the stuff that defrosted in the freezer.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

...-Not having access to NG in the Plain states...

Not sure which Plains states you're referring to.   But up here in the Great Frozen north of the Plains in North Dakota, the Bakken formation is providing us with plenty of NG.

I too wouldn't have bought a house without NG.  That's the main heat and has never gone off.  With me being in a newer development, even all of our electricity is buried.  So rare to get a power outage for me.