Doug loves the new Escape Hybrid

1 hour ago, ANTAUS said:

...I just can't get past that poverty-stricken instrument cluster. It reminds me of those of GM products of the early 90s...unadorned, unloved..

Good news if you choose any Hybrid or PHEV 2020 Escape, which are the only versions worth considering. They all come standard with a digital instrument cluster as in the picture below.

ford-escape-hybrid-v-toyota-rav4-hybrid-

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, ANTAUS said:

...I just can't get past that poverty-stricken instrument cluster. It reminds me of those of GM products of the early 90s...unadorned, unloved..

I agree, that gauge cluster is horrible.

---

That said, have you seen any of GM's current gauge clusters - they look like they haven't changed since the 90s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

That said, have you seen any of GM's current gauge clusters - they look like they haven't changed since the 90s.

Yes sir, I've been in a 2019 Chevy Equinox for one of my recent Lyft trips. The instrument cluster looked fine to me. Nothing particularly fancy, though it did have some bright accents and illuminated rings to jazz things up a little. It was quite different from instrument clusters for similar 1990s GM vehicles.

2019 Chevy Equinox instrument cluster.

1869971.jpg

1994 Chevy S10 Blazer instrument cluster.

23391800001_large.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, I've been in a 2019 Chevy Equinox for one of my recent Lyft trips. The instrument cluster looked fine to me. Nothing particularly fancy, though it did have some bright accents and illuminated rings to jazz things up a little. It was quite different from instrument clusters for similar 1990s GM vehicles.

1869971.jpg

23391800001_large.jpg

The blazer digital cluster was fairly rare. Most where that awful blue disc style. 

Edited by fordtech1

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

1869971.jpg

23391800001_large.jpg

I had a friend in college with a ‘94 Blazer years ago and the only cool thing about that digital cluster was the sequential turn signal indicator. It looked really cool... at least it did in around 1998. ?

I think it was a 90s Pontiac Grand Prix where they made a LED display then created a digital speedo (or tach, can't remember exactly) that looked like an analog gauge.   Only GM would spend $300 on a LED gauge and make it look exactly like a $10 analog gauge.

This looks like a nice job by Ford, but will be interesting how well this and the PHEV will compete with RAV4.  Base RAV4 hybrid has 219hp combined and the new PHEV (Prime) will have 300hp. Most shoppers don't by small SUVs for performance, but 300hp sounds like fun. 

34 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

This looks like a nice job by Ford, but will be interesting how well this and the PHEV will compete with RAV4.  Base RAV4 hybrid has 219hp combined and the new PHEV (Prime) will have 300hp. Most shoppers don't by small SUVs for performance, but 300hp sounds like fun. 

The big advantage the Toyota will have is that their PHEV will be available in AWD.  The PHEV Escape is only FWD.  This could be a big deal in areas that see a lot of snow.

17 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

The big advantage the Toyota will have is that their PHEV will be available in AWD.  The PHEV Escape is only FWD.  This could be a big deal in areas that see a lot of snow.

Especially if Toyota has "AMCI" run another hill-climb comparison,,,,,

HRG