New Tesla registrations in California nearly halve in fourth quarter: data

blwnsmoke

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesla-registrations-california-nearly-halves-010526006.html

"The report released on Wednesday showed registrations in California, a bellwether market for the electric-car maker, plummeted 46.5% to 13,584 in the quarter ended December 2019, from 25,402 in the same period a year earlier.

Model 3 registrations, which accounted for about three-fourth of the total, halved to 10,694.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

"One can assume that Tesla has hit peak performance in the U.S. because they have not exceeded their 2018 results for five months now," said Shane Marcum, vice-president of Cross-Sell"

No, not a coincidence. Most that want/can afford one already has one.

What I would love know is about their older models, which aesthetically are virtually the same as they were introduced. Are there repeat buyers? How many years will the model S look virtually the same as the original? Just a reminder the model S was introduced in 2008 (not on sale, of course).Tesla seems to get a free pass for this and I have no idea why.

1 minute ago, jcartwright99 said:

No, not a coincidence.

How many years will the model S look virtually the same as the original? Just a reminder the model S was introduced in 2008 (not on sale, of course).Tesla seems to get a free pass for this and I have no idea why.

It was a rhetorical question.

They get a pass on everything because people love Elon and they love the idea of Tesla - doing things differently and saving the environment.   They can't afford to redo older models like the S.   All their resources are going to launch the new vehicles and develop new stuff they can pimp to investors to keep the ponzi scheme going with new cash infusions.   This, and the fact that they're underpricing the vehicles just to get sales volume (underpriced relative to what it takes to generate a net profit) and the fact that their manufacturing and distribution can't scale is why anyone with a brain can see it's unsustainable.   Don't tell Wall Street though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

It was a rhetorical question.

They get a pass on everything because people love Elon and they love the idea of Tesla - doing things differently and saving the environment.   They can't afford to redo older models like the S.   All their resources are going to launch the new vehicles and develop new stuff they can pimp to investors to keep the ponzi scheme going with new cash infusions.   This, and the fact that they're underpricing the vehicles just to get sales volume (underpriced relative to what it takes to generate a net profit) and the fact that their manufacturing and distribution can't scale is why anyone with a brain can see it's unsustainable.   Don't tell Wall Street though.

Do you think Wall Street really understands what it really takes to be a successful automaker? I’m being serious when I ask that question. The so called experts are so far removed from it that if it’s not in a spreadsheet or economic report, they wouldn’t understand. The analysts, while great at putting words behind numbers, really have no clue how hard it is making a car. Traders only care about making a profit.

Over the past 13 years in the industry, Im no longer shocked by someone who has lived a one percenter life since birth claiming to be an expert on manufacturing. Never stepped foot in a plant. Never done any sort of manual labor. Never really done anything other than get an advanced degree in business. Followed by getting in at investment bank. Yet, those are the analysts that Wall Street listens to. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Is it a coincidence their $7500 tax credit is no longer available?

I thought that was recently bumped up again?

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

No, not a coincidence. Most that want/can afford one already has one.

What I would love know is about their older models, which aesthetically are virtually the same as they were introduced. Are there repeat buyers? How many years will the model S look virtually the same as the original? Just a reminder the model S was introduced in 2008 (not on sale, of course).Tesla seems to get a free pass for this and I have no idea why.

At this point, Telsa might want to offer a refresh service for older cars and rebuild them for customers. 

On 1/16/2020 at 10:57 AM, jcartwright99 said:

What I would love know is about their older models, which aesthetically are virtually the same as they were introduced. How many years will the model S look virtually the same as the original? Tesla seems to get a free pass for this and I have no idea why.

Are Tesla owners buying teslas to show off, or is it merely an appliance? A way of getting from a to b? If it's the latter , it doesn't really matter what it looks like. Just that they're getting to work and being "good for the environment"  and as long as the first purchase still runs, they don't need to buy another.. 

Now I know some people think they look good, which boggles my mind so I'm sure some buyers do care... But i wonder if they're the minority. 

The free pass is definitely real, and honestly I think it's fair at this point. Toyota got away with the prius, now it's elons turn. 

On 1/16/2020 at 1:08 PM, silvrsvt said:

I thought that was recently bumped up again?

At this point, Telsa might want to offer a refresh service for older cars and rebuild them for customers. 

This would be an interesting business model... Keep what's good, replace what's bad. Update the body, throw in a new battery pack if needed. .. And you have a "new" car at a much reduced cost. 

19 hours ago, probowler said:

Now I know some people think they look good, which boggles my mind so I'm sure some buyers do care... But i wonder if they're the minority. 

The S is best looking of the bunch-the X looks like an S with an Egg on top of it and the 3 looks off to me proportionally wise 

• Like 1

If you own a Tesla you get to ask the following questions.

A. What is maintenance?

B. What is a gas station?

C. What is that noise under the hood?

D. Where is the response? (Tesla Model 3 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds)

E. What's an automatic transmission?

F. Why does your engine have to be warm to get heat?

G. Why do you have to have your car running to run the AC?

H. Why isn't your car updated over the internet?