Vehicle Introductions in Detroit

Anyone know what Ford has planned to reveal tomorrow and how to livestream it? It is a given that the 2021 Ford Explorer XLT Sport will be revealed as the info was published today. I seen elsewhere online that Ford Performance has something regarding the Ford GT which is likely an update to keep it going for  a few years. But surely there's something they got planned to show as a debut reveal.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I doubt they have a 2 hour presentation for an Explorer XLT Appearance package.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Seems like they got something planned to be shown like a debut reveal if it's being shown today while the Chicago Auto Show Press Days officially doesn't start until tomorrow. I'm still trying to find ways to stream it online but no luck so far. Probably a private event if by invite only with no plans to stream online. Ford does have something tomorrow at 11:30-noon as a 'vehicle walk around' and Friday morning at 9AM. Possibly the Explorer XLT Appearance Package for Friday since 20 minutes is enough to talk about that.

20 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Exactly what I'm thinking. Seems like they got something planned to be shown like a debut reveal if it's being shown today while the Chicago Auto Show Press Days officially doesn't start until tomorrow. I'm still trying to find ways to stream it online but no luck so far. Probably a private event if by invite only with no plans to stream online. Ford does have something tomorrow at 11:30-noon as a 'vehicle walk around' and Friday morning at 9AM. Possibly the Explorer XLT Appearance Package for Friday since 20 minutes is enough to talk about that.

If it's significant enough, I'd imagine they'd want to stream it in today's world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExplorerDude said:

Not sure what’s planned to be shown in Chicago but in addition, the 2021 Explorer gets the following: 

- XLT Sport Appearance Package

- King Ranch trim

- FX4 Off Road trim 

I thought the XLT Sport Appearance Package for the 2021 Explorer was the only Explorer-related reveal we were going to see so I'm surprised about King Ranch and FX4 Off Road trimlines. I mentioned a few days ago that maybe there would be additional trimlines for 2021 Explorer such as King Ranch which was just my guess so I'm surprised to see that happening. I previously-figured the King Ranch (and even FX4 Off Road) would be for Expedition-only when it comes to SUVs. The XLT Sport Appearance Package was a given since it's been offered for a few years in the previous generation. So that's good that the Explorer is expanding with additional trimlines.

1 hour ago, Nickp said:

Someone on the JL wrangler forums hinted embargoes end at midnight. My guess is we see the new F-150 but who knows.

Oh, there's definitely something being shown soon. I am follower of Chicago Auto Show Facebook page and they got a Story post of a car on stage with cover on it. It says 5AM tomorrow (was posted a few hours ago) so surely there's something posted after embargo lifts. Someone in comments of that post said it was the new Ford GT that's updated, and it does look like it under the car cover. Odd that they're choosing to reveal this particular car this early when Ford's reveal times, as according to their press media page, were 11:30-noon for Thursday as 'vehicle walk around' and Friday morning at 9AM. Still no info as to what was presented/discussed for two hours earlier at an invite-only event.

Chicago Auto Show - Ford GT.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

I thought the XLT Sport Appearance Package for the 2021 Explorer was the only Explorer-related reveal we were going to see so I'm surprised about King Ranch and FX4 Off Road trimlines. I mentioned a few days ago that maybe there would be additional trimlines for 2021 Explorer such as King Ranch which was just my guess so I'm surprised to see that happening. I previously-figured the King Ranch (and even FX4 Off Road) would be for Expedition-only when it comes to SUVs. The XLT Sport Appearance Package was a given since it's been offered for a few years in the previous generation. So that's good that the Explorer is expanding with additional trimlines.

Oh, there's definitely something being shown soon. I am follower of Chicago Auto Show Facebook page and they got a Story post of a car on stage with cover on it. It says 5AM tomorrow (was posted a few hours ago) so surely there's something posted after embargo lifts. Someone in comments of that post said it was the new Ford GT that's updated, and it does look like it under the car cover. Odd that they're choosing to reveal this particular car this early when Ford's reveal times, as according to their press media page, were 11:30-noon for Thursday as 'vehicle walk around' and Friday morning at 9AM. Still no info as to what was presented/discussed for two hours earlier at an invite-only event.

Chicago Auto Show - Ford GT.jpg

so IIRC they were only going to build like 500 GT’s is that no longer the case?

4 minutes ago, Nickp said:

so IIRC they were only going to build like 500 GT’s is that no longer the case?

I think it was around 2,500 of the GTs that were agreed to be made. Not sure, but I don't think they maxed out the build number yet. Either that or they're continuing for a few more years now that the Ford GT is still being raced via private teams rather than factory-backed.

34 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

I never understood the appeal of the exposed carbon material as I rather painted myself. But if it sells, go for it. I'm glad to see that the Ford GT is continuing production into 2022 and that the Gulf Edition is offered again for this year. There's also power bump and some weight savings too for 2020.

So now we have so far:
2021 Ford Explorer with additional trimlines
2020 Ford GT with changes including Carbon option

My guess is that the two hour presentation that was done last night was probably revealing vehicles in private to select people with articles held at their own embargo. We already got the Explorer with Sport Appearance Package and now the GT Carbon. Only a matter of time before info about others come out, that is if there are others scheduled to be revealed.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Well the big GT letters on the wall should have been a clue.....

Yes, but I was not aware that the Carbon option was going to be revealed as new option as well as the fact that the GT production was continuing on. I had thought that the street-legal GT would end soon. So it was good to hear that it is continuing on through 2022 with some changes. As for others who wrote in the comments in the FB post, who knows what they meant with what they said that I had quoted. But perhaps some of them had the same thoughts as I did with thinking the GT was ending soon.

3 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Ford  has 3 events in Chicago, the event last night, a walk around today(11am CST) and a press conference tomorrow morning (9am CST) 

Tomorrow's is just 20 mins, though.  I can't imagine them really showing much.

I guess we could actually see pics of the XLT appearance pack/King Ranch/FX4 Explorers?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Tomorrow's is just 20 mins, though.  I can't imagine them really showing much.

I guess we could actually see pics of the XLT appearance pack/King Ranch/FX4 Explorers?

That's enough time to get straight to the point and show the vehicle(s) without all the unnecessary buildup hype such as talks, video slideshows, the cheesy laser lights and music hype, etc. But my guess would be the Explorer reveal with the packages, as you mentioned. I think 20 minutes would be enough to cover all that. I had previously thought the 2021 F-150 would be revealed at this show but 20 minutes would definitely not be enough to cover that so I'm guessing they're saving a separate event for the F-150.