2005 Lincoln Navigator 32 Valve Head Project

nuclidex

Hello,

I am relatively new to this forum so Hello to all. 

I have a 2005 Navigator 4x4 and a 2004 Navigator 2x4. I have the head tick issue on my 2005 3 valve. The 2004 short block is no good. I want to move the 32 valve heads to my 2005 Navigator. Here is what I believe I will need to do:

Throttle swap, drive by wire to cable

32V heads, new chains, tensioners, timing cover

32v manifolds and exhaust system

all the related 32 valve goodies from the 2004 motor and harnesses

Here is where I am stuck...

The 2004 uses the ford 4 speed auto, while the 2005 uses the ZF 6 speed auto. I will need to swap the ECM to the 2004 in order for the engine to run properly, right? I am assuming this is the easier way. I am wondering if the difference in transmissions will cause any problems. Also, the 2005 is a 4x4 while the 2004 is a 2x4. Will the 2004 ECM allow my 4x4 to continue working? Will I need to swap the gauge cluster from the 2004 as well so the ECM works properly? 

OR, are the sensors on both motors similar enough to use the 2004 harness and use the 2005 computer? There isnt much information on this swap. 

Lastly (all i can think of right now) will the 4 valve heads' valves clear the pistons in the 3 valve short block and is there a difference in compression between the 2004 4 valve 5.4l and the 2005 3 valve 5.4l motors and if so how will my compression change?

Sorry, any info or direction with this would be great. I am definitely going to do this if it is theoretically possible while retaining a fully functional vehicle.

I have never Tried to mismatch a 5.4 3v to a 5.4 4v. I have no idea If it’s even possible.  I would suspect the pcm in the 2005 will be looking for cam phasers,  and solenoids, which will not longer be there. The 2004 pcm will be looking for  EGR and solenoid and probably won’t know what to do with the 6 speed trans. I’m trying to remember if the ZF had a TCM that is to communicate with the pcm. 
My opinion is that you are about to do a ton of work and not have a good result. You might be able to use 2004 heads and 2005 everything else, plus buy a phaser delete program and eliminate the phasers out of the pcm. However, would it not just be easier to do new phasers and tensioners? If the cam bearings aren’t scored then that’s the way to go. 

2 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

I have never Tried to mismatch a 5.4 3v to a 5.4 4v. I have no idea If it’s even possible.  I would suspect the pcm in the 2005 will be looking for cam phasers,  and solenoids, which will not longer be there. The 2004 pcm will be looking for  EGR and solenoid and probably won’t know what to do with the 6 speed trans. I’m trying to remember if the ZF had a TCM that is to communicate with the pcm. 
My opinion is that you are about to do a ton of work and not have a good result. You might be able to use 2004 heads and 2005 everything else, plus buy a phaser delete program and eliminate the phasers out of the pcm. However, would it not just be easier to do new phasers and tensioners? If the cam bearings aren’t scored then that’s the way to go. 

The zf has a tcm but would that communicate with the 2004 pcm? If so, I could swap the pcm and harnesses out of the 2004 for the 32v head project. Physically speaking everything will bolt in, just worried about the computers and compression. Is the dome in the heads the same size between the 32v heads and 24v heads?

4 hours ago, nuclidex said:

The zf has a tcm but would that communicate with the 2004 pcm? If so, I could swap the pcm and harnesses out of the 2004 for the 32v head project. Physically speaking everything will bolt in, just worried about the computers and compression. Is the dome in the heads the same size between the 32v heads and 24v heads?

I would highly doubt the 04 pcm will communicate with the tcm. It would not know it’s supposed to. That’s why a phaser delete program on the 05 pcm would make the most sense. You could use original pcm and harness. But still that’s a lot of unknowns. Another option would have a custom tune made for it by a tuner. I’ll have to look up the compression ratios of each engine. I don’t know the specs on the two heads off hand. 

Thats a pretty ambitious task with a lot of things that may or may not work. Contact a tune shop about the pcm issues first. 

Fordtech1, Thank you for your contributions thus far. Let me know if you find out about the compression ratios. I have looked and looked but when you search for intech 5.4 or triton 5.4 they give you f150 results. The 5.4 3v in the navigator recommends premium fuel unlike the f150, but i think i remember both f150 and lincoln compression ratios being identical for the 5.4 3v. So i assume it is in the tuning. The manual states that premium is recommended and 87 may result in loss of power, so timing maybe. I am fine with the compression ratio being slightly less or slightly more. My guess is that it will be identical between the two, but the determining factor is how much dome space is in each head. If the 4 valve head has more dome space i will have less compression ratio. Also is it a possiblity the 4 valve head's valves may make contact with the top of the pistons in the 3 valve motor? I believe both 5.4 motors have the same stroke, but i am not sure if the pistons are different.

Anyway I like your suggestion to use the 05 PCM to be certain the TCM communicates right, and use the 05 harness. I could also splice the 04 harness to the 05 harness for some of the sensors in different locations as I have both available to me. We'll go that route. SO once i have the 32v heads off the parts truck and see if they need anything, I will be ordering all the gaskets i will need and the timing system chains tensioner etc.

Anyone know if the truck will still run without the PCM will hit limp mode without the cam phasers? ALso, I once heard the cam phasers were controlled by oil pressure, not electronically. Am I wrong on this?

I will be starting the tear down on the 32 valve truck within the next week. I am planning a week or so to install all the 32v parts onto the 24v truck after that.

need to know the cylinder head chamber volume, deck and compression height now to be sure its the same, or similar

DOHC C Head

98-up Lincoln Navigator
These 5.4L DOHC heads feature essentially the same intake port design as C heads, but they have a much larger intake port volume than 4.6 castings. Despite the fact that these heads feature a relatively small exhaust port, the extra intake port volume could be beneficial in helping fill a motor of greater displacement-think 5.4 liters. Expect slightly better midrange torque than even C heads, and sub-8,000-rpm horsepower production, although the larger intake port size leaves a slim selection of intakes to choose from when utilized on a 4.6 block. Forced induction fans take note-Navigator exhaust ports feature a thicker exhaust divider (while keeping the same overall exhaust port size as B, C, and FR500 heads) that allows coolant to circulate through this vital area. Conversely, the larger divider can also hurt flow by utilizing additional space in the port.

26364257.jpg?width=650&height=650

The real downside to Navigator heads, when used on a 4.6-based engine, is the severe limitation they impose on intake selection. The physically larger 5.4 heads don't leave a lot of room (when installed on a 4.6 block) between them for an intake plenum to sit-though they do bolt right up. Remember that since Navigator intake ports are essentially clones of those of C heads (just on a larger scale), they too suffer from the same intake port flaws that plague the earlier tumble-port design-no short-turn or floor in the throat of the intake port.

26364260.jpg?width=650&height=650

The extra port volume the Navi heads possess could be beneficial in filling a motor with greater than 281 ci of displacement, or in high-rpm naturally aspirated or supercharged street/ strip combinations. Fans of boost should remember the cooled exhaust port divider. Lack of intake availability is the real downfall of this otherwise wonderful casting.

Stock Intake Choices: None (4.6), '98-up Navigator (5.4)
Aftermarket/Modified Stock
Intake Choices: Al Papitto short-runner '99 Cobra (4.6), sheetmetal
Navigator Head Dimensions: Combustion chamber: 53 cc; Intake port vol: 184 cc; Intake port entrance: 2.290x1.400 in; Valves: 37 mm int, 30 mm exh

Edited by nuclidex

Looks like stock 3v head combustion chamber is 51cc. so 2cc difference between the heads. will this amount to much compression ratio difference? I think right now i am 9.8:1 and with 2cc extra chamber volume that would put me at about 9.6:1, so this looks fine. Sorry for the billion posts ?

Edited by nuclidex